Your Teacher's Teacher's teacher?

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've always found it intriguing how styles and influences are handed down from teacher to student. Over a hundred years ago there were stylistic differences of technique and playing based on geographical areas for example a Boston style (Harry Bower) vs a Chicago style (Edward Straight) for example. Those famed teachers taught others and their tricks and secrets and were passed on to legions of students.
For myself, I know some of the genealogy of my former teachers. They are:

Ted Reed: from Billy Gladstone and George B Stone.
Robert McCormick: from Tony Cirone from Saul Goodman from Alfred Freise from (someone in Germany).
Robert McCormick: from Forrest Clark from Vic Berton from Joseph Zettleman from (someone in Germany).
Frank Epstein: from Earl Hatch (LA studio orchestra percussionist).

I wonder how many of us actually intersect in a "Kevin Bacon" kind of way?

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Some had lineage, some did not. My first teachers teacher was Joe Morello. Another teachers teacher was Davey Tough.

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I started out taking lessons from my main teacher's teacher. His teacher was the band leader of a military marching band. We practiced rudiments for two years and when we complained he just said: " when we complained about our hands bleeding our teacher looked at us, looked down in our hands an squeezed the sticks back into our hands and said 'don't stop until you master these rudiments'."
He was actually a sweet guy, just not really into drum set playing or rock n roll...

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took lessons from a teacher that traveled 3 hours, each way, to study with Roy Knapp in Chicago.

Pedal_Pusher

Reaction score
I studied pipe band drumming with Allan Vaughn (Georgia), who studied with Hugh Cameron (Canada), who studied with Alex Duthart (Scotland). I would have to research it more but could probably find a couple of teacher generations back from Mr. Duthart. The pipe band world is small in comparison to some other branches of drumming and has not been around much longer than drum set. Check out Jim Kilpatrick if you want to have your head explode (in a good way).

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm learning with Matt Teagarden son of David Teegarden son of Jack Teagarden. That's pretty neat. I'm not sure of lineage of my other coaches I've had. I find it super interesting though.

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I studied pipe band drumming with Allan Vaughn (Georgia), who studied with Hugh Cameron (Canada), who studied with Alex Duthart (Scotland). I would have to research it more but could probably find a couple of teacher generations back from Mr. Duthart. The pipe band world is small in comparison to some other branches of drumming and has not been around much longer than drum set. Check out Jim Kilpatrick if you want to have your head explode (in a good way).
Alex Duthart. Nice... OG ( in street lingo, Original Gangster, immediately worthy of the utmost respect)

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My first drum teacher had studied with Sam Ulano, Morris Goldenberg and Billy Gladstone (for a short time) later with Joe Morello.
Of them I only know that Morello studied with Joe Sefcik who had been a student of Mo Goldenberg. (And of course, Morello studied with G L Stone)

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice lineage here.

In high school I studied with John Kasica in St Louis . He was at Julliard under Saul Goodman. Few other guys later. Gary Chester, Henry Adler, then some fine tuning with Chris Lamb at the NYC Phil. He was pretty deep with the lineage for sure...

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I took lessons from a local band director when I was 21 and he taught me more in those six months than I had learned in 7 years of school band. He was great. He could play everything from strings to piano to drums. We worked on some music theory and I even got a free piano lesson once because he didn't want to cancel our lesson for the week but he had to practice for an audition. I had taken piano lessons when I was younger and that one lesson I think I learned more than those three years. Long story short he was a great teacher! I'm not sure who he studied with, he went to college in L.A. I know and when he graduated his professor gave him a set of quick beats that Louie Bellson had owned so possibly there is a connection.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice! I still use my Hugh Cameron sticks. Best pipe sticks I've ever used. My drum sergeant studied with Duthart directly -- it's a RIDICULOUSLY small world, as you said.