Your Top 5 Influential Drummers of all Time

boomstick

Reaction score
Watching Mickey Dolenz in Monkees reruns, and of course hearing Hal Blaine's playing, is what made me want to start drumming. Beyond that, my main influences are Stewart Copeland, Jimmy Chamberlin, Clyde Stubblefield, and Travis Orbin.

ButchA

Reaction score
Watching Mickey Dolenz in Monkees reruns....
LOL... Sorry for the brief off-topic section about The Monkees. Did you all know that their instruments weren't their natural talent/ability on other instruments?

Davy Jones (front man, lead singer) --- was actually way better on drums than Mickey Dolenz.
Mickey Dolenz (drums, vocals) --- was actually a better singer than Davy Jones, but Davy Jones had "the face" for TV.
Peter Tork (bass, keyboards, everything) --- was actually a way better guitarist than Mike Nesmith.
Mike Nesmith (guitar) --- should have switched with Peter Tork, but he played his trademark 12-string Gretsch.

Twakeshima

Reaction score
Drummers:
1. Dave grohl
2. Benny greb
3. Chad smith
4. Taylor Hawkins
5. Andy granelli

Albums:
1. Nevermind - Nirvana
2. Wasting light - foo fighters
3. Blood sugar sex magik - Red Hot Chili Peppers
4. Coral Fang - the distillers
5. Let’s take it to the stage - funkadelic

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
DrumForum's Most Influential Drummers of All Time

Visitalite Black used a powerful algorithm to tally your votes. Unsurprisingly, due to your love of guys (ages 55-100) from the three big countries that speak English, the list looks almost exactly like Rolling Stone magazine's ranking (which was bitterly received on this forum).

You voted for:

1. Neil Peart
2. John Bonham
3. Buddy Rich
4. Gene Krupka
5. Stewart Copeland
6. Peter Criss
7. Keith Moon
8. Billy Cobham
9. Steve Gadd
10. Ginger Baker

Rolling Stone

1. Bonham
2. Moon
3. Baker
4. Peart
5. Blaine
6. Stubblefield/Starks
7. Krupka
8. Mitch Mitchell
9. Al Jackson Jr.
10. Copeland

boomstick

Reaction score
Unsurprisingly, due to your love of guys (ages 55-100) from the three big countries that speak English, the list looks almost exactly like Rolling Stone magazine's ranking (which was bitterly received on this forum).
Makes sense since both lists of "influential drummers" are referencing just one specific type of drummer: The drum kit player. Since the modern drum kit was developed in the US, it makes sense that the influencers would be English speaking.

boomstick

Reaction score
LOL... Sorry for the brief off-topic section about The Monkees. Did you all know that their instruments weren't their natural talent/ability on other instruments?
The entertainer who succeeds as an actor and a musician is a rare breed. Even among just actors, those who can do comedic acting are uncommon. So, to find four people who can do comedic acting and musicianship that translates to hit songs would be..daunting. Had they been purist about it, the show would never have gotten made. Instead, they pooled the talent of many different artists, four comedic actors with some music skill to play the parts, professional songwriters to craft hit songs, and the Wrecking Crew to play them to perfection. Like all TV shows, it was a collaborative effort, and it was that particular collaboration that led to success.

Last edited:

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Influential...well, when I really think about it, the drummers who influenced me the most were names I didn't know until much later. They were the guys behind the scene who actually played the drum parts for my favorite groups.

1. Gary Chester
2. Buddy Saltzman
3. Hal Blaine
4. Mel Taylor (I actually did know his name)
5. Benard Purdie

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 - Buddy Rich

2 - Buddy Rich

3 - Buddy Rich

4 - Buddy Rich

5 - this is a tough one... OK, Gene Krupa! ;)