Your Top Ten Albums of 2010-2019

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What were your top ten albums of the last decade, 2010-2019? Here are the rules:
1. MUST BE NEW MUSIC: No compilations, no best-ofs, no "we discovered this 1967 in a vault" type things. Don't be a pedant about the decade actually beginning in 2011.
2. I picked a single, broad genre, but you don't have to.
5. One album per artist, if you can.

Here are mine:

1. Tune-Yards: Whokill. The first time I saw Merrill Garbus perform it made me tear up. So original, so committed. Key Track: Gangsta

2. Jason Isbell: Southeastern. Every song on this album is perfect, some startlingly so. Key Track: It varies, but Elephant and Cover Me Up and Songs That She Sang in the Shower are my top 3.

3. Wilco: The Whole Love. This is probably the 2010s album of theirs that I've listened to the most. Key Track: One Sunday Morning.

4. Kendrick Lamar: To Pimp a Butterfly. This one's so massive and such a united, single work that it's hard to pick tunes, but Blacker the Berry, King Kunta, and Alright could all be key tracks for me.

5. Sufjan Stevens: Carrie and Lowell. Honestly learned this album by osmosis. Rebecca and the kids listened to it so much that I learned it and started to like it. Key Track: Fourth of July

6. Beck: Morning Phase. If you don't have good headphones or, preferably, good speakers, you won't get how amazing this record is. Key Track: Same problem as with To Pimp a Butterfly, but Say Goodbye or Morning would probably work.

7. Julien Baker: Turn Out the Lights. She's amazing and this record has some incredible guitar sounds. Key Track from a songwriting POV is Appointments, but listen to the astonishing use of guitar effects on the title track.

8. Sturgill Simpson: Metamodern Sounds in Country Music. Love this guy and this is the first of his records that I loved. Key Track: Turtles All the Way Down or his remake of The Promise

9. Anderson .Paak: Oxnard. Saw his Tiny Desk concert and it knocked me out and made me think. Key Track is hard to pick, though TINTS has Kendrick on it which kicks it up a notch.

10. Adele: 21. I can't lie. Everything about this record kills me, especially the very-underappreciated drumming. Key Track: Listen to Rumor Has It or Rolling in the Deep, but focus on what the rhythm section is doing.

So many honorable mentions, too: Flying Lotus' You're Dead!, Sam Phillips' World on Sticks, Alabama Shakes' Sound and Color, Radiohead's Moon Shaped Pool, Jack White's Blunderbuss, Father John Misty's Pure Comedy, John Prine's Tree of Forgiveness, and David Bowie's Blackstar.

Last edited:

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This will take some thought and consideration, but I’m on it.

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Clockwork Angels by rush

Earth Rocker by clutch

Wasting light by foo fighters

Abra Kadavar by kadavar

Dystopia by megadeth

Hardwired...to self destruct by Metallica

House of gold and bones part 1 by stonesour

The soundtrack to the sound city
documentary

13 by black sabbath

And I'm not sure if this counts as it's only 1 song but Play by Dave Grohl

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
10. Alien Weaponry - Tu 2018 (New Zealand)

9. Sleep - The Sciences 2019 (Oakland)

8. Ghost - Opus Eponymous 2010 (Sweden)

7. Mutoid Man - War Moans 2017 (Brooklyn)

6. Sólstafir - Ótta 2014 (Iceland) https://www.solstafir.net/

5. Gojira - L'Enfant Sauvage 2016 (France)

4. In Flames - Sounds of a Playground Facing 2011 (Sweden)

3. Mastodon - Once More Around the Sun 2014 (Atlanta)

2. Kvelertak - Kvelertak 2010 (Norway)

1. The Sword - Warp Riders 2010 (Austin)

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
bloom - beach house
teen dream - beach house
walls - kings of leon
the party - andy schauf
kintsugi - death cab for cutie
a deeper understanding - the war on drugs
american dream - lcd soundsystem
alvvays - alvvays
future me hates me - the beths
antisocialites - alvvays

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Black Coffee - Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa. 2018
Out Of The Blues - Boz Scaggs - 2018
Songbook Live - Chris Cornell - 2011
Delta Machine - Depeche Mode - 2013
Sunken Condos - Donald Fagen - 2012
Dark Side of The Mule - Gov't Mule - 2014
Southern Blood -Gregg Allman - 2017
Heritage - Opeth - 2011
So You Wannabe An Outlaw - Steve Earle & The Dukes - 2017
Eleven - Tommy Igoe And The Birdland Big Band - 2012

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody put the new Tool on their list

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody put the new Tool on their list
I'm normally a tool fan. But I think there was too much build up around this new album and when it finally came out it was just underwhelming. At least to me it was. I mean the drumming was good, but I still think Danny Carey's best work was on aenima. But to me James keegan's vocals were not on par at all with the first 3 full records that they put out. It was his vocals that really just were meh to me that made me not buy this one.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm normally a tool fan. But I think there was too much build up around this new album and when it finally came out it was just underwhelming. At least to me it was. I mean the drumming was good, but I still think Danny Carey's best work was on aenima. But to me James keegan's vocals were not on par at all with the first 3 full records that they put out. It was his vocals that really just were meh to me that made me not buy this one.
I'm 100% with ya on Aenima. Undertow was even better imho.
Still, I see some pretty far reaches.
Jeez, this thread makes me feel old.
Did Radiohead put out anything during the "teens"
What an amazing band

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This thread is about your top 10. You’re fixated on one record? One?
No, I put my 10 up at 9:50 this morning. Someone else made a comment about tool and I was just throwing my 2 cents in as to why it wasn't in my top 10 as I am a fan of there earlier work. That's all. Meant no disrespect to the thread. Sorry bout that.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeez, this thread makes me feel old.
Did Radiohead put out anything during the "teens"
What an amazing band
Yes-- two great records called the King of Limbs and A Moon Shaped Pool. A Moon Shaped Pool is a favorite of mine and well worth a listen. If you like Radiohead, there's a lot of music out there that might knock you out-- Sigur Ros and Wilco come to mind, but also bands like Spiritualized and Elbow and Bjork.

It's pretty easy to catch up -- I like to read end-of-year and end-of-decade best-of lists on Pitchfork, Paste, Rolling Stone, NPR, and a few other places and then sample stuff on Spotify based on those recommendations. I also check out a lot of Tiny Desk Concerts on YouTube-- I've found more than a few of my favorite artists that way.

We should do a "If you love this old artist you'll love this new artist" thread. Like, "If you like Bill Withers you'll like Michael Kiwanuka" or "If you loved Genesis and Peter Gabriel, you'll love Elbow." That'd probably be a good way to introduce folks to the new music out there. I'll be the first to admit that the decade in question was one of my least favorites for music, but there were still a lot of gems out there and there are a lot of vital artists coming into their full energies now.

Reaction score
Woah, 10 years, 10 records, I'll try... I love music.

There are two records that drummer Eric Harland played on that I have been obsessed with. Dave Holland's "Prism" (with Kevin Eubanks) and Billy Childs' "Rebirth" (with Steve Wilson.) I can't choose between these two very different recordings. "Prism" is damn near a fusion record, and "Rebirth" is just a beautiful jazz record.

"Hamilton The Broadway Soundtrack." I don't think that I have EVER seen this mentioned on this site. But what great compositions, performances, and drumming on this. What a fun listen!

Foo Fighters "Wasting Light." What an amazing power pop, hard rock (whatever you call it) record, it's damn near flawless. There is literally only one note and one word (lyric) on it that I don't like (really!) Other than that, it's sheer PERFECTION (and it sounds great too.)

Fred Hersch "Alive at the Vanguard." Fred took Andrew Hill's rhythm section (John Hebert and Eric McPherson) and built on the telepathy that they built with Andrew. This is just such a wonderful record. And "E Mac" doesn't get near enough attention as he should.

David Bowie "Black Star." I heard this when it came out and was so happy for Donny and Mark and the guys. David really hit on something groundbreaking here. I couldn't wait to see and hear them interpret it live. And then...

Chad Wackerman "Dreams, Nightmares, Improvisations." The last GREAT recording that Allan did, I like the way Chad composes too, and Jimmy Johnson makes Chad's tunes his own (genius.)

John Scofield "Country For Old Men." Cool concept of jazz arrangements of country tunes. It sounds corny I know, but they KILL it!!! And Bill and Sco have a hookup that is just incredible. Scofield is one of my favorite musicians (has anyone heard the new one?)

Toto "XIV." I'm a sucker for GREAT pop music. I hate the mastering on this record (It's brick walled to death,) but the songs, and the playing are just fantastic. No one writes quality pop music like Lukather, Porcaro, and Paich. Joe Williams sings his ass off, and Carlock sounds outstanding in this context too.

Mili "Written in the Stars" Again a really good pop record, and I love Vinnie's groove. Sure he can do all the ridiculous mind melting stuff, but when he has some good pop music to sink his teeth into, it's magic.

Adam Birnbaum "Three of a Mind." For me, no one plays in a piano trio better than Al Foster (and Roy Haynes,) and this is some really challenging and beautiful piano trio music. The BEST that Al has sounded in years.

David Gilmore "Energies of Change." David is a longtime friend, and I am lucky to have played and recorded with him. I just love his playing and overall concept. This is the best CD he has put out. And Antonio Sanchez sounds better than ever.

MSG

And since Neal had honorable mentions in the OP, I have to have an honorable mention for two Peter Gabriel "projects." His own "Live Blood" is the best of all of the orchestral and cover stuff that he did. Haunting arrangements of classic tunes, and beautiful singing. And Jerry Marrotta's "Security Project Vol 1 and 2." Some of my favorite music ever, and Jerry recreates it with a combination of reverence and irreverence.

And this one just came out. Dan Rosenboom "Absurd in the Anthroposcene." This is pretty indescribable and creative music; Sort of Steve Coleman M-Base meets Squarepusher meets Battles, meets Weather Report. Whatever... I like it, whatever it is.

Sorry, I don't count very well... I tried!

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes-- two great records called the King of Limbs and A Moon Shaped Pool. A Moon Shaped Pool is a favorite of mine and well worth a listen. If you like Radiohead, there's a lot of music out there that might knock you out-- Sigur Ros and Wilco come to mind, but also bands like Spiritualized and Elbow and Bjork.

It's pretty easy to catch up -- I like to read end-of-year and end-of-decade best-of lists on Pitchfork, Paste, Rolling Stone, NPR, and a few other places and then sample stuff on Spotify based on those recommendations. I also check out a lot of Tiny Desk Concerts on YouTube-- I've found more than a few of my favorite artists that way.

We should do a "If you love this old artist you'll love this new artist" thread. Like, "If you like Bill Withers you'll like Michael Kiwanuka" or "If you loved Genesis and Peter Gabriel, you'll love Elbow." That'd probably be a good way to introduce folks to the new music out there. I'll be the first to admit that the decade in question was one of my least favorites for music, but there were still a lot of gems out there and there are a lot of vital artists coming into their full energies now.
Thanks! I know great music from great artists just dosen't stop. I need to keep my mind open. You've mentioned some great resources for me, and other's that chose to want to hear what's relevant today.
I honestly can't name 10 new artists I listen too, nor can name 10.
This thread, and your post set off alarm bells
I really need to take your suggestions, and start reading the end of year/decade best of. It's definitely a place to start.
I like the "New Artist" idea too. I'm sure a lot of people are content listening to what they've been listening to for decades now, but I'm sure there's new material out there that will knock my/our socks off.
I don't know "what's cool" anymore, or care, but I'd be cheating myself if I don't at least give a listen, or 2.

mpungercar

Reaction score
In no particular order

Lonely Robot - The Big Dream
The Pineapple Thief - Dissolution
Voyager - Ghost Mile
The Great Discord - The Rabbit Hole
Anubis Gate - Anubis Gate
Butch Walker - The Spade
Dead Letter Circus - Aesthesis
James La Brie - Impermanent Resonance
Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto