Your Top Ten Albums of 2010-2019

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Woah, 10 years, 10 records, I'll try... I love music.

There are two records that drummer Eric Harland played on that I have been obsessed with. Dave Holland's "Prism" (with Kevin Eubanks) and Billy Childs' "Rebirth" (with Steve Wilson.) I can't choose between these two very different recordings. "Prism" is damn near a fusion record, and "Rebirth" is just a beautiful jazz record.

"Hamilton The Broadway Soundtrack." I don't think that I have EVER seen this mentioned on this site. But what great compositions, performances, and drumming on this. What a fun listen!

Foo Fighters "Wasting Light." What an amazing power pop, hard rock (whatever you call it) record, it's damn near flawless. There is literally only one note and one word (lyric) on it that I don't like (really!) Other than that, it's sheer PERFECTION (and it sounds great too.)

Fred Hersch "Alive at the Vanguard." Fred took Andrew Hill's rhythm section (John Hebert and Eric McPherson) and built on the telepathy that they built with Andrew. This is just such a wonderful record. And "E Mac" doesn't get near enough attention as he should.

David Bowie "Black Star." I heard this when it came out and was so happy for Donny and Mark and the guys. David really hit on something groundbreaking here. I couldn't wait to see and hear them interpret it live. And then...

Chad Wackerman "Dreams, Nightmares, Improvisations." The last GREAT recording that Allan did, I like the way Chad composes too, and Jimmy Johnson makes Chad's tunes his own (genius.)

John Scofield "Country For Old Men." Cool concept of jazz arrangements of country tunes. It sounds corny I know, but they KILL it!!! And Bill and Sco have a hookup that is just incredible. Scofield is one of my favorite musicians (has anyone heard the new one?)

Toto "XIV." I'm a sucker for GREAT pop music. I hate the mastering on this record (It's brick walled to death,) but the songs, and the playing are just fantastic. No one writes quality pop music like Lukather, Porcaro, and Paich. Joe Williams sings his ass off, and Carlock sounds outstanding in this context too.

Mili "Written in the Stars" Again a really good pop record, and I love Vinnie's groove. Sure he can do all the ridiculous mind melting stuff, but when he has some good pop music to sink his teeth into, it's magic.

Adam Birnbaum "Three of a Mind." For me, no one plays in a piano trio better than Al Foster (and Roy Haynes,) and this is some really challenging and beautiful piano trio music. The BEST that Al has sounded in years.

David Gilmore "Energies of Change." David is a longtime friend, and I am lucky to have played and recorded with him. I just love his playing and overall concept. This is the best CD he has put out. And Antonio Sanchez sounds better than ever.

MSG

And since Neal had honorable mentions in the OP, I have to have an honorable mention for two Peter Gabriel "projects." His own "Live Blood" is the best of all of the orchestral and cover stuff that he did. Haunting arrangements of classic tunes, and beautiful singing. And Jerry Marrotta's "Security Project Vol 1 and 2." Some of my favorite music ever, and Jerry recreates it with a combination of reverence and irreverence.

And this one just came out. Dan Rosenboom "Absurd in the Anthroposcene." This is pretty indescribable and creative music; Sort of Steve Coleman M-Base meets Squarepusher meets Battles, meets Weather Report. Whatever... I like it, whatever it is.

Sorry, I don't count very well... I tried!
Really glad you wrote this. I'd honestly stopped looking for or buying new jazz for the most part other than the names I already knew. These are some names I already know and have loved before as well as some new ones. Thanks for the new listening tips. I haven't heard any new David Gilmore for so long -- maybe since those Steve Coleman sides! Anyway, thanks for the tips.

Pibroch

Reaction score
1. Sidsel Endresen (voice) and Stian Westerhus (guitar) : “Bonita“. (Killer improvisations.)
2. Killick and Monique: “Lave Worriers“. (Guitar & H’arpeggione and vocal improvisations.)
3. Mats Gustafsson (project director): Hidros 6. (A musical improvisations box set feast.)
4. Brandon Seabrook: “Die Trommel Fatale”.
5. Maria Neckam & Mikakos Pohjola: “Zero”.
6. Killick Hinds & Henry Kaiser: “Nicola Tesla High School“. (If you adore electric guitar, and duos in particular.)
7. Angelica Sanchez & Wadada Leo Smith: “Twine Forest”.
8. Moor Mother & Nicole Mitchell: “Offering”.
9. Fiona Apple: “Fetch The Bolt Cutters”. (For me instant musical love.)
10. Roscoe Mitchell & Mike Reed: “In Pursuit of Magic”. (Woodwinds & drums/percussion - anything put out in the last 10 years with Roscoe playing / composing can be on this list!).

Last edited:

robthetimekeeper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Weezer - White Album
STP - 2010 last album with Weiland
Tenacious D - Rize of the Fenix
Killers - Battle Born
Pearl Jam - Lightning Bolt

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
Other than this , I’ve been discovering new older music that I missed .
Steven Wilson ticks all the boxes for me though . He’s my fav all time musician .
I'm still kicking my own ass for missing him in South Florida last year - Still

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Rush - Clockwork Angels
2. The Aristocrats - The Aristocrats (if not limited to 1 album per artist, all 4 studio albums would be listed here)
3. Tedeschi-Trucks Band - Revelator
4. Toto - XIV
5. Galactic - Carnivale Electricos
6. Snarky Puppy - Ground Up
7. Jeff Sipe Trio - Jeff Sipe Trio
8. Dumpstaphunk- Dirty Word
9. The Revivalists - City of Sound
10. Lettuce - Fly

Reaction score
Really glad you wrote this. I'd honestly stopped looking for or buying new jazz for the most part other than the names I already knew. These are some names I already know and have loved before as well as some new ones. Thanks for the new listening tips. I haven't heard any new David Gilmore for so long -- maybe since those Steve Coleman sides! Anyway, thanks for the tips.
No prob, I LOVE talking about music. I just counted, and amazingly 9 of the records that I listed are self produced, which in my opinion is both wonderful and awful. The problem with self producing is most people don't have the money to promote, let alone advertise. So very few people hear about any new recordings. Therefore so much GREAT music goes unnoticed. I think lists like this (although I am really opposed to endless "best of" and "greatest" online lists) serve a vital purpose to draw attention to music that the masses might have (and probably) have no idea exists.

The bad thing about self produced music is that there is SO much out there that distinguishing the wheat from the chaff becomes very daunting, time consuming, and simply never ending. The needles become (too often) permanently hidden by the haystack (of chaff) and they just never get discovered. Every once in a while something breaks through, but not often enough if you ask me. Sadly, It's just too much for radio or stores (there are some of those left) or even websites, to keep up with.

It's a problem that the music "business" (whatever that is now,) needs to solve. Back in the day, people resented the musical "gatekeepers" but at least they (even the indies) helped keep the musical floodwaters at bay. Now it's just a constant overwhelming flood of music. Good? Bad? Who knows...

I do know this though. Humans, when given too many choices, tend to shut down and withdraw. And this has definitely happened in music, and everyone (musicians, sellers, and consumers) suffers for that. All I know is I love listening to (and playing) music too much to give up, so thanks for the list. I like your "this reminds me of that idea" too!

Sorry, back to the lists, keep 'em coming fellas!
MSG

Tcat

Reaction score
Only album I bought during this period was Clockwork Angels by Rush.... so by default

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
No prob, I LOVE talking about music. I just counted, and amazingly 9 of the records that I listed are self produced, which in my opinion is both wonderful and awful. The problem with self producing is most people don't have the money to promote, let alone advertise. So very few people hear about any new recordings. Therefore so much GREAT music goes unnoticed. I think lists like this (although I am really opposed to endless "best of" and "greatest" online lists) serve a vital purpose to draw attention to music that the masses might have (and probably) have no idea exists.

The bad thing about self produced music is that there is SO much out there that distinguishing the wheat from the chaff becomes very daunting, time consuming, and simply never ending. The needles become (too often) permanently hidden by the haystack (of chaff) and they just never get discovered. Every once in a while something breaks through, but not often enough if you ask me. Sadly, It's just too much for radio or stores (there are some of those left) or even websites, to keep up with.

It's a problem that the music "business" (whatever that is now,) needs to solve. Back in the day, people resented the musical "gatekeepers" but at least they (even the indies) helped keep the musical floodwaters at bay. Now it's just a constant overwhelming flood of music. Good? Bad? Who knows...

I do know this though. Humans, when given too many choices, tend to shut down and withdraw. And this has definitely happened in music, and everyone (musicians, sellers, and consumers) suffers for that. All I know is I love listening to (and playing) music too much to give up, so thanks for the list. I like your "this reminds me of that idea" too!

MSG
I'm not sure there is any music business -- at least not one promoting songs/albums/artists designed for adults. I can only guess that with increasingly limited resources, the promotion of music is focused on the big categories -- whatever they play on the current version of Top 40 and Country.

There's no way to promote Post-Malone to an over-40 crowd without embarrassing yourself -- though doing the song with Ozzy Osbourne was a good try.

Still, there is a ton of great music for grown-ups out there, but aside from NPR's Tiny Desk concerts, Austin City Limits and a few other, similar outlets, it's hard for a great artist like, say, St. Paul and the Broken Bones for connecting with a much bigger audience.

Thankfully, between XM radio, Spotify and Pandora, it's easy to sort of search outward from artists you like to find other new performers in the same wheelhouse.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score

MSG
Couldn't agree more, MSG

It seems to me that even before the record industry was confronted with inevitable financial shrinking of their industry that the internet, YouTube and the shift from physical product was destined to bring, they had already embarked on the short-sighted business model of diminishing their investment in anything but their highest grossing offerings. To a great degree, cutting way back on planting seeds and cultivating to primarily focus on harvesting maximum profits. All in all, a short term approach.

And then for an industry in the throes of that approach, to be confronted with huge, real (as opposed to self-inflicted), significant challenges - like the loss of their physical product revenue... Well it's no surprise the record industry has lost so much of its ability to be a dominant force in pop culture... or even just music.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Sidsel Endresen (voice) and Stian Westerhus (guitar) : “Bonita“. (Killer improvisations.)
2. Killick and Monique: “Lave Worriers“. (Guitar & H’arpeggione and vocal improvisations.)
3. Mats Gustafsson (project director): Hidros 6. (A musical improvisations box set feast.)
4. Brandon Seabrook: “Die Trommel Fatale”.
5. Maria Neckam & Mikakos Pohjola: “Zero”.
6. Killick Hinds & Henry Kaiser: “Nicola Tesla High School“. (If you adore electric guitar, and duos in particular.)
7. Angelica Sanchez & Wadada Leo Smith: “Twine Forest”.
8. Moor Mother & Nicole Mitchell: “Offering”.
9. Fiona Apple: “Fetch The Bolt Cutters”. (For me instant musical love.)
10. Roscoe Mitchell & Mike Reed: “In Pursuit o Magic”. (Woodwinds & drums/percussion - anything put out in the last 10 years with Roscoe playing / composing can be on this list!).
I'd definitely have put Fiona on my list but technically she didn't meet the time period. That record title is now kinda funny to me because my daughter works at a farm and she's now started singing "Vegetable Cutters" instead of the title. Drives me nuts because it's so catchy. If we do include this year, the new Dylan and the new Isbell would've been on my list, too.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Make It Be - R. Stevie Moore & Jason Falkner
Til The Casket Drops - ZZ Ward
Undivided Heart & Soul - JD McPherson
Ghost Train the studio B sessions - Marty Stuart
Hit & Run Phase Two - Prince
Plectrum-Electrum - Third Eye Girl

Last edited:

Vicey

Reaction score
I got it down to thirteen before I became too tired to make any more decisions.

Arcade Fire, The Suburbs
Cloud Cult, Light Chasers
Lloyd Cole, Broken Record
Richard Thompson, Dream Attic
Alabama Shakes, Boys and Girls
Sigur Ros, Valtari
Jack White, Blunderbuss
Patty Griffin, Silver Bell
Jason Isbel, Southeastern
The Strokes, Comedown Machine
Robert Plant, Lullaby and…
Split Single, Fragmented World
The Waterboys, Modern Blues

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have zero of those albums. (I may have an MP3 copy of 21)

The only music I have that time period is whatever Rush and Steven Wilson put out. :)
I have a couple of Porcupine Tree releases and every record he produced for Opeth. Those are the best Opeth records. The dude knows his stuff behind a desk. He is a 21st century Alan Parsons.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Steely Dan’s last album was 2003.
Everything Must Go! I saw them when they were touring that record and aside from the one song that Walter Becker sings on it, they threw it out the window and did every song on Aja, execpt for Home At Last. I guess Keith didnt want to step on Bernard. I also saw them in '92 and they let Becker do Surf And Or Die from his 11 Tracks Of Whack. Good times.

Last edited:

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got it down to thirteen before I became too tired to make any more decisions.

Arcade Fire, The Suburbs
Cloud Cult, Light Chasers
Lloyd Cole, Broken Record
Richard Thompson, Dream Attic
Alabama Shakes, Boys and Girls
Sigur Ros, Valtari
Jack White, Blunderbuss
Patty Griffin, Silver Bell
Jason Isbel, Southeastern
The Strokes, Comedown Machine
Robert Plant, Lullaby and…
Split Single, Fragmented World
The Waterboys, Modern Blues
Oh, shoot-- Valtari was in this decade? Add that to my list. Then again, the two of us have a lot of overlap!

Vicey

Reaction score
Oh, shoot-- Valtari was in this decade? Add that to my list. Then again, the two of us have a lot of overlap!
Vatari was 2012. And we probably have more overlap even than it seems: Beck's Morning Phase really should have been on my list. And I'm with you on Jason Isbell: probably the best new song writer of this period.

This is a good exercise for me. I'm old enough now to be in danger of musical stagnation: a lot of my list consists of artists I'm sticking with because I've loved their earlier work. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but I'm always looking for new acts that can really grab my attention. Isbell is one of the few I've found. And I also need to listen to more new jazz.

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wilco - Ode to Joy

The National - Trouble Will Find Me

Bill Callahan - Shepherd in a Sheepskin Vest

William Tyler - Deseret Canyon

Beck - Morning Phase

Max Richter - Sleep

Keith Jarrett - Munich 2016

Sam Amidon - I See the Sign

Anna Thorvaldsdottir - Aerial

Bill Frisell/Thomas Morgan - Small Town

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't know if I'll get to ten and not going for any order: (edit: I did better than I expected for new music)

Chris Stapleton - Traveler
Jason Isbell - Southeastern
Jason Isbell - Nashville Sound
Miranda Lambert - Weight of these Wings (Matt Chamberlain on drums)
Imelda May - Mayhem (I liked Love Tattoo better but I looked it up and it was released 2008)
Sturgil Simpson - Metamodern Sounds in Country Music
Eric Clapton - Live In San Diego (Probably shouldn't count since most of the songs I like are old)
Turnpike Troubadours - Diamonds & Gasoline

Some honorable mentions (I haven't listened to them enough yet to consider them favorites)
Margo Price - Midwest Farmer's Daughter
Mike and The Moonpies - Touch of You
Mike and The Moonpies - Cheap Silver and Solid Country Gold
Carson McHone - Carousel

Reactions: Ely

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Other than this , I’ve been discovering new older music that I missed .
Steven Wilson ticks all the boxes for me though . He’s my fav all time musician .
Lucky to have seen this tour. Band was hot, though I thought the "Raven" disc and tour were just a little more magical. Both great albums though!