YOUR vintage drums...what WILL become of them?

pan60

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
my drum gear ( not always all that collectible ), is no where near my guitar and studio gear stuff, but i have told my wife she can let the girls have something they would use or be found of for what ever reason, sell anything she might need to if she does.
one thing i have ask is that if their is a young working neighborhood musician, child or family member that is really into it, help them out ( provide she does not need to sell for the money ).

Buhkatski

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My kids will each get a set. My wife can sell off the good stuff and my final resting place will be in a Yamaha Recording Custom 10" x 9" tom. I can't take it with me, but my ashes can spend the rest of eternity in one of them.
I Literally LOL'ed. that's great! :icon_e_biggrin:

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
My wife knows what my stuff is worth because I involve her when I'm on a project. She's a pretty shrewd buyer and seller herself, and she knows who to call to get started.

Having said that, I'm sure over time I'll be reducing the stash down to 2-3 kits from the 8-9 I usually have. And a lot of snares will be gone too. In fact, if i dump most of the snares now, I'd have a nice downpayment on a 2000 Porsche 911....

kookel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sounds like some of you are planning on a sudden 'leave.' :mellow:

I've actually planned for that: I have a running list of everything I own and their approx. values, along with pictures. if anything happens to me, it's Craigs, eBay or a couple of friends. I hope my son will at least cherish my Black Beauty and hold onto it.....and my K's.

royal ace

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you've enjoyed them, don't worry, be happy.

The widespread denial of the environmental/ecological catastrophes even now occurring, along with the demented drift toward war in the M.E; of benefit solely to the gangsters ... and their minions in govt... now in control of our destiny, renders the question somewhat irrelevant.

If one considers, for instance, the ridiculously inflated price of a case of middling Bordeaux nowadays, drums and cymbals purchases look like an inconsequential write-off, however modest your means.

Personally, nowadays, it's a relief not to have grandchildren.

Ron

atomicdave

DFO Star
Reaction score
my daughters, eh, probably not, but I'm holding out for GRANDSONS! :razz: (I dont have a motorcycle any longer either, and my right knee is a visual reminder of why I dont!)

teenagebrain

Reaction score
I have 4 kits that "don't belong to me"...
1st kit...22,13,16 WFL 1957 black oyster,belongs to my youngest(The Pig)who is "7 years of old age" and shreds para diddles!!!
2nd kit...24,13,16 WFL 1949 Black Diamond Pearl(Ray McKinely),belongs to my middle daughter(The Informer 12 yrs old)
who loves the Backbeat all day long!!!
3rd kit...26,13,16 WFL 1947 White Marine Pearl (Buddy Rich),belongs to my oldest daughter(The Brawler 13 yrs old)
who has a right(kick drum)foot faster then a jack rabbit on a date!!!
4th kit...26,15,18 Ludwig 3-ply Maple (John Bonham),belongs to my son(the chef 23 yrs old) who is a homeboy from east L.A. but loves slow groovie R&R w/that heavy handed Big beat!!!
So You see...to curb my collecting fetish,i am just "borrowing" these drum sets...i do not own them!!! HOWEVER,i am there keeper...until,my brood begin there tours/recordings/gigs,then i will be forced to buy another great set of vintage drums,or until i shuffle off this world,unto another life,and start collecting from scratch all over again!!! Ooops :unsure: ...I forgot about the snare collection...:D!!!

ThePloughman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Certain drums and sets are slated to go to certain people. The rest, would be sold with the proper restrictions to keep them out of the hands of rapers.

Gary

DFO Master
Reaction score
Illiquid collectables are always a problem in passing on an estate. If you have a will you should prpare a sheet on each item you have. Number of drums in the kit, sizes, differentiating factors such as mods, rare finishes or sizes, associated hardware, etc.. You should have a copy filed with your will. You should include notes on the basis for your understanding of valuation and the date of the evaluation. Cost is only a little relavent, comps are the best if you can get them. You have to put these docs with the will because if you leave them in your bills drawer they are going to get lost.

My girlfriend's Dad was one of those nutty collectors (like most of us) that went full tilt boogie into coins and stamps and he would write notebooks on pedigree and valuation. It had to be 6 figures at cost.

He also left notes on how they should invest, spend money, bla blah bla as if he could guide them from the great beyond. He passed suddenly and the amount of documentation he left in drawers in his office was more than the wife or two daughters could deal with. It was voluminous.

In the end the coins sit in a vault and will just get handed down with no sense of value or history and the stamps went to the highest bidder of the crew of dealers that came into their living room to appraise. Who knows if the "holy grail" went with them.

Everyone with something nice needs a statement of net worth notarized and filed with a reliable party such as a trust attorney.

When your gone, the best you can do for your crew is let em know what it was and what you thought it could be worth and then they'll have to pursue liquidation as best as they can.

Also keep in mind storage space. This stuff is heavy and fragile and they might prefer having the space and not the drums. It probably makes sense to wind it down as you wind down. If she needs to move to a retirment facility or in with family or to a nursing home, there is going to be urgency to clear out the stuff and that's when you get picked off and someone publishes on DFO how they got this great so and so for next to nothing.

Snaffoo

Dental Floss Tycoon
Reaction score
My kids will each get a set. My wife can sell off the good stuff and my final resting place will be in a Yamaha Recording Custom 10" x 9" tom. I can't take it with me, but my ashes can spend the rest of eternity in one of them.
Now I have to decide which drum I want to be stored in, great idea! A small tom makes sense for display purposes, hahahha! I'm thinking about one with an exotic finish ply, something that will go with any decor, from early dingy rehearsal space to a modern livingroom concept, but it's got to be a Luddy.

What's the color/finish of your tom? Just curious...

As for "what will happen with my temporary drum ownership?"...
I will fire sale everything if I'm given the opportunity, if not I've made a list of everything, what I paid for it and which ones I think will be most desirable.

There really isn't a huge amount of money involved here but it makes no sense to have the vintage drums end up with an idiot basher or an e-drumraper.

Scott

j.edgarwarthog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd like to sell most of them to you guys (no, you ain't gonna steal them). I'd like to give away a few to needy but deserving young people. A few to go to any interested family members. My son already has my '67 Ludwig gold sparkle Hollywood set, the drums I've got the most mileage on. And one set to Harry, he always lusted after some of my junk.

I kinda like that idea of my ashes in a drum, a special drum.

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
interesting thread - because we all want our drums appreciated after we pass - but we are all looking for the guys drums that didn't get appreciated after he passed with a $30 yardsale supra or $125 3 ply kit.

I have 2 young sons that I have a hard time keeping off my kits & out of my "workshop/Studio" ( corner of the basement) - hopefully even if they don't end up players they are gaining the appreciation & knowledge to do them right.

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
my current plan is to keep playing/gigging on my Slingerland vintage drums until I'm at least 90. Then, I will give them to my son or grandchildren. By that time, my premier kit will be vintage and I'll keep them for gigs/practicing/lessons/recording. If I hit 100, I may buy a new kit and heads to celebrate, but probably not. That's of course unless I see a deal here at this forum at that time. hehe.

Gary

DFO Master
Reaction score
Now I have to decide which drum I want to be stored in, great idea! A small tom makes sense for display purposes, hahahha! I'm thinking about one with an exotic finish ply, something that will go with any decor, from early dingy rehearsal space to a modern livingroom concept, but it's got to be a Luddy.

I will fire sale everything if I'm given the opportunity, if not I've made a list of everything, what I paid for it and which ones I think will be most desirable.

There really isn't a huge amount of money involved here but it makes no sense to have the vintage drums end up with an idiot basher or an e-drumraper.

Scott

Make sure you write down somewhere to put some tape over or a piece of gum in the vent or you'll get all over the carpet when they hand you around.

Thud

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Scott
Quartz Grey. When I purchased them back in 86, I wasn't thinking "hey, this will make a great tombstone" but now that I look at it.....
It's tempting to get poured into one of my Ludwigs, but my Yamahas have a deep sentimental value (It was the only new drum kit I ever purchased, and it was with the inheritance from my mom's passing, and also the kit I've played the most gigs on) and taking this tom off the kit leaves enough of a drum set to be used or sold. And yes, as you pointed out, it's the right size. It will fit right there on the mantel until they want to stick me in the mausoleum. I've got this very well planned out.

Thud

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Scott

Make sure you write down somewhere to put some tape over or a piece of gum in the vent or you'll get all over the carpet when they hand you around.
Yup, already taken into consideration. But, good line. :lol:

JohnG

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting topic. Neither of my two kids, both in their 20's, are interested in drums. Being 60 and at the age where waaaay too many people I know are kicking the bucket, I keep telling myself I need to inventory my gear. Along with an updated will, I guess I'll get it done sometime in the near future......what a bummer to have to think about this .........I still think of myself as a kid, butthen l my back tells me differently..........

Snaffoo

Dental Floss Tycoon
Reaction score

Scott

Yup, already taken into consideration. But, good line. :lol:
I figured a sealed container that can be put inside of the drum. Like a quart paint can or maybe even a plastic screw top container for eternity... lol

Scott

Latest posts