header.nohb.html

Your weirdest quirk as a drimmer

Fat_asian

Reaction score
For me it would have to be not using any of my hihats with my left foot to move it. I keep it in the tight position and don't bother playing it on my 3 kits
Reasons:
1) Yamaha e- kit: BECAUSE I need to prop something under the snare drum to keep it up at all times, it gets in the way of my left foot. It doesn't matter how hard I tighten it it still goes low low lower lol.
2) my Pearl compact traveler kit: because I made a specialized hihats for it (7 inch brass cymbals) on a standard stand well because once again it doesn't have the proper position to be able to use it by my foot. (So both for functional reasons)
3) my Ludwig Breakbeats: every dollar counts so I have a non functional hihat that I didn't throw out, instead I locked it into the fully clamped position and avoid using it with my foot. On the top of the hihat I installed a halo tambourine this giving me two different sounds.

So I'm kind of the "closed hihats man " lol. Not to mention a meinl turbo crasher is an innovative way to use as a hihat for a suitcase / compact kit. It too does not open though!

Let's hear some zany stories lol!

Omega27

Reaction score
When I was kid first learning, my younger sister said I should end my "drums solos" with something so everyone would know it was over. 40+ years later, I still can't end any solo practice or band rehearsal without a little roll on the snare!

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Lack of confidence since I am still not used to drumming with a band again. Getting there but not quite.

Steech

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Playing fast triplets with my left foot on my hats and just having that run on auto pilot while I play completely unrelated things with the rest of my limbs. I go into a mental “space” when that happens.

Ludwig4life

Reaction score
I play open handed on a right hand kit.

I never saw anyone play drums live before and it seemed the natural way to do it so that’s how I started.

My teacher never said anything and I’m grateful bc I think it was easier than crossovers

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
For me it would have to be not using any of my hihats with my left foot to move it. I keep it in the tight position and don't bother playing it on my 3 kits
Reasons:
1) Yamaha e- kit: BECAUSE I need to prop something under the snare drum to keep it up at all times, it gets in the way of my left foot. It doesn't matter how hard I tighten it it still goes low low lower lol.
2) my Pearl compact traveler kit: because I made a specialized hihats for it (7 inch brass cymbals) on a standard stand well because once again it doesn't have the proper position to be able to use it by my foot. (So both for functional reasons)
3) my Ludwig Breakbeats: every dollar counts so I have a non functional hihat that I didn't throw out, instead I locked it into the fully clamped position and avoid using it with my foot. On the top of the hihat I installed a halo tambourine this giving me two different sounds.

So I'm kind of the "closed hihats man " lol. Not to mention a meinl turbo crasher is an innovative way to use as a hihat for a suitcase / compact kit. It too does not open though!

Let's hear some zany stories lol!
First thing I thought of:

“Drimmer! You know you are a drimmer! Well can you put your hands in your head, oh no!”

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keeping a gig for 6 years.

Playing jazz with my left foot "on one and three and sometimes on two and four" as pointed out by a good buddy who is an amazing jazz drummer.

I have to have the drum head logo always facing 12:00 to me and always lined up with the badge or vent hole.

Seriously, after 40 years of playing, still misspelling drummer!!!

Last edited: