You're in quarantine with the first famous drummer you saw live - who is it?

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw countless local guys and touring Gospel players since before I can remember but my first "concert" of any sort was in 1981 at Joliet Junior College. The band was Chameleon and the drummer was Mr. Charlie Adams. Fun fact, A young Jimmy Chamberlain was also in that crowd of 150 or so...at that point he was just some snot nosed kid from Joliet. Now he lives somewhere else.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That would be Buddy Rich for me . My Dad took me to see him when I was 9 and it just blew me away . Could not take my eyes off him . He had everything . It inspired me to go home and practice .

drumstuff66

Reaction score
Gregg Bissonette with Maynard Ferguson on the New Haven Green...1980? His brother Matt was on bass. They were opening for Buddy Rich that night.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Dennis Wilson in, I think, 1975.

Weird. I remembered him singing a plaintive love song in his solo slot in the middle of the set, but didn't remember the tune. Then, just minutes ago, I was listening to the daily rock trivia challenge (listener vs. DJ) on my local station -- and one of the questions was 'What Song Did Dennis Wilson" co-write with Joe Cocker... I guessed "You Are So Beautiful," and that's the right answer... The hosts then went on to discuss how he played it at every Beach Boys gig prior his alleged swimming accident.

In a related note, the new book "Chaos" about the Manson murders describes the relationship between Dennis and Charlie being much much closer and long lasting than was previously known.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Well you said famous. But the first drummer who I remember his name was Jerry Shirley of Humble Pie.

As far as famous drummers go I would say the first famous drummers--both were the same show--was on my 14th birthday. It was first Narada Michael Walden playing for Mahavishnu Orchestra version 2, then followed up by a very dramatic entrance by Bernard Purdie, whom I at first assumed was merely a roadie doing sound on the kit prior to Jeff Beck coming out: He tested the sound, was a normal-looking dude wearing jeans and a t-shirt, then started playing a simple fill, the crowd had no idea who he was, and we were egging him on, bored before Jeff's band would come out. Imagine our collective surprise when he starts into one of his legendary Purdie Shuffles, the house lights dim, and the rest of Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow touring band comes out--That's still one of my all-time favorite concerts of the many shows I've attended! Jeff was on fire on that tour. Sadly Mahavishnu's sound wasn't very good, probably they were tuning the hall up for Jeff.

Drm1979

Reaction score
Tim "Herb" Alexander. Primus was my first concert. He is just s beast of a drummer especially the way he interweaves his drumming with less claypools bass lines. Awesome concert. I was 16 and had just got my driver's license 1 week prior to seeing them. Good times

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Buddy Rich! Saw him at Manchester West high school in NH when I was 13. My first real big concert was Van Halen in 1986 at the Worcester Centrum. Not a bad way to start seeing live music I must say.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think Dave Abbruzzese if I remember my first real concert correctly. He played before Matt Cameron that night.

Dave HCV

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ron Tutt playing with Elvis, June 9, 1972 at Madison Square Garden.

If you want a little more famous, then either Danny Seraphine or Buddy Rich. Saw them both in the late 1970s, but I don't recall which was first.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Ron Tutt playing with Elvis, June 9, 1972 at Madison Square Garden.

If you want a little more famous, then either Danny Seraphine or Buddy Rich. Saw them both in the late 1970s, but I don't recall which was first.
Judging from the "As Recorded at Madison Square Garden" album, that was a great period for The King. When it was reissued on CD, I remember a reading a review that made me laugh by with a line about Elvis singing "Hound Dog" so quickly, the writer assumed he had a cab waiting outside with the meter running.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have racked my brain trying to recall this. I genuinely cannot come up with the dates. My family has been in the business for a long time ... consequently, they took me to a lot of shows growing up ... several clubs a week. I‘m thinking maybe a crooner? Man, I can’t recall. I know I had to be young because I can remember them inviting me up on stage several times and having me play the drums with a handful of them ... typical little elementary school age kid playing with the established act kinda thing ... for emotional impact, I guess. I can’t recall who any of them were today ... I remember there were crooners and a few harder bands. Maybe I will ask the family and fill in some blanks. How the heck you guys remember the early shows is beyond me.
I know I saw Starland Vocal Band in 76-ish ... it was one of the first “by myself” shows. Wheeeeeee!
But there were a TON of shows in the prior years.

TPC

Reaction score
Louie!

I skipped a high school basketball pep band performance to catch him performing at another school.
Same here. He was playing with his big band in a high school auditorium. Must've been ... 1974? I was about 9 and my dad took me. A real eye opener. I remember some one-handed single stroke rolls like it was yesterday.