You're in quarantine with the first famous drummer you saw live - who is it?

jsp210

Reaction score
I saw Billy Cobham at an intimate venue called Musician's Exchange in Fort Lauderdale, FL before I was old enough to drive. Must have been around 1985 because he was touring in support of his recently released album "Warning." Unbelievable experience.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Technically it would be whoever played drums for the Cactus Cutups...a country/western cover band that used to play at my mom's restaurant in the 70's/ Fine Italian dining with c/w music all in the comfy confines of 70's paneling. LOL Yeah, good times.

First real concert was Black and Blue opening for Kiss on the Asylum tour So the dope from Black and Blue, who used to wear a diaper on stage as his gimmick (which in my mind is really the textbook definition of "dope"). I'm too lazy to look up his name. But full credit goes to the late, great Eric Carr. Always loved that guy and his enthusiasm for playing.

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Omar Hakim with Sting... Dream of the Blue Turtles 1985.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Was given a ticket for a Modern Jazz Quartet concert in 1990(?), so this would make Connie Kay the first famous drummer I saw live! Never thought about that.

First jazz concert I paid for myself a bit later was Peter Herbolzheimer's Big band with Bruno Castelluci. Then things get blurred, with many great US jazz musicians touring Europe in the early 90s: Louis Hayes, Andrew Cyrille, Ed Thigpen, Jack Dejohnette, Billy Hart...

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Peter Criss 1977
After a quick bit of internet research, I'll change my answer to Lee Kerslake since Uriah Heep opened for Kiss that night and I know who Lee Kerslake is (from his work with Ozzy) though I did not at the time.

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting topic, I guess it would be Jim Keltner with Delaney and Bonnie, cool!

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hugh Grundy...drummer for the Zombies.. Portland Teen Fair 1967.... went to see who did the breathy"aah" in " the time of the season" song...... and it was the drummer
Off topic a bit ... and I apologize ... but did the Zombies actually tour the US? I thought it was a group put together here. Wasn't Frank Beard the touring drummer for the (US) Zombies?

musicman64

Reaction score
I think they were English, almost sure, had hit songs since the mid 1960's....only saw them once though...maybe we should check Saint Google, or his little friend wickipedia...I'm just going off of memory alone

Last edited:

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Hmmm. It was a concert in Miami. I think Beach Boys, Left Bank, Freddie and the Dreamers and the McCoys. So Dennis Wilson?

musicman64

Reaction score
I think they were English, almost sure, had hit songs since the mid 1960's....only saw them once though...maybe we should check Saint Google, or his little friend wickipedia...I'm just going off of memory alone
Ok...memory fail...looked up the teen fair dates...it was 1969...so it could have been the "new Zombies" you referenced...so, even better if it was Frank Beard...BUT that changes the actual answer to the original question...It would be Spencer Dryden......a true toss up

Latest posts