Z dyno beats or other bright hi hat options

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve recently moved into an actual house and am getting back into drumming after over a decade stuck in apartments. Since I now have a dedicated music room to leave several drum sets up I’m realizing that I don’t have any hi hats that suit my north drums (heavy fiberglass concert toms). I have both 14” 60’s new beats and 15” 2000’s new beats for with my other kits, but I’m currently switching between 13” 50’s? USA zilco’s and 14” sabian aa marching cymbals with the norths which are both a little to soft/subtle to compliment the staccato and heavily projecting drums.

I came across a set of z (not custom) 13” hi hats in a pawn shop for $125+ tax I’m considering but don’t have much experience with them and wonder what people think of them. I also figured that a single z paired with the heavier zilco might make a balanced pair with more cut. All thoughts appreciated

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Manhole covers! Bright is an understatement. Clangy thick pieces of metal. If that's what you want, they will do it.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
... Z Custom 13" hi hats? I went into a store once with the mission of finding the best sounding hi hats in there. I walked out (after paying of course; ) with 13" Z Custom pair of hi hats. They sounded best (chick, etc) compared to all others in the store.

Found out about a month later they were louder than every other cymbal I had to surround them with.
Other than that; if you can get them to blend; if they blend well with the rest of your cymbals (volume-wise) do it

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
... Z Custom 13" hi hats? I went into a store once with the mission of finding the best sounding hi hats in there. I walked out (after paying of course; ) with 13" Z Custom pair of hi hats. They sounded best (chick, etc) compared to all others in the store.

Found out about a month later they were louder than every other cymbal I had to surround them with.
Other than that; if you can get them to blend; if they blend well with the rest of your cymbals (volume-wise) do it
the ones in the shop were z, not custom, not sure how much of a difference there is between the two series. Most of my cymbals are 50’s-70’s A zildjians on the thin side, but those are staying with my vintage and modern ludwig kits.The norths have a mix of “leftovers” now but I want to get into brighter cymbals for them. So far an early 2000’s 24” medium ride, paiste 404 20” ride as a crash and a 20” wuhan china which the zilco’s definitely can’t compete with. I may need to put together a 12/14/18” set to put them to use but for now I think I already have my girlfriend pretty scared that there were two drum sets up before a single piece of furniture entered the house. Thanks for the input

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
the ones in the shop were z, not custom, not sure how much of a difference there is between the two series.
Z series was completely unlathed, just buffed to a brilliant finish. Z Custom, while still heavy, were lathed; they and resembled heavy As to a degree. Not as clangy, but indeed loud.
Bright hats - Paiste Signature series (B15 alloy) in general would be very bright, I'd say you can choose between soft bright (medium hats) or loud bright (heavy hats).

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Intermediate Stamp Old K Zildjian over an
old K Zildjian Constantinople bottom.

Last edited:

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
Keep an eye out for some Paiste prototypes in signature or 2002 alloy. Or even some 505s...They are usually a lot cheaper and if bright it what you’re looking for then bright is what you’ll get.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Intermediate Stamp Old K Zildjian over an
old K Zildjian Constantinople bottom.
That sounds like like it would be the opposite of what I’m looking for. The few old K’s I’ve heard have all been pretty dark and washy, are bright and cutting k’s a thing? Either way I think the budget at my disposal for a kit that will never leave the house won’t stretch for K’s. If I get back in to a bar band again the old 13/16/22 ludwigs will get the nod. The 6/6/8/8/10/10/12/12/14/14/22/22 norths are more of a novelty

Masecar

Reaction score
My brightest hats are my 14" current-issue New Beats. I had a pair of Paiste Signature Medium Hats that I thought were TOO bright, and were definitely too loud. 2002s are also bright; I had a pair of 15" SE Hats for about a year, and while they were awesome, they were the loudest part of the whole dang drum kit!

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Keep an eye out for some Paiste prototypes in signature or 2002 alloy. Or even some 505s...They are usually a lot cheaper and if bright it what you’re looking for then bright is what you’ll get.
I think I was poisoned against Paiste by an old ludwig paiste 16” I was given years ago, but the 404 20” is a lot better than I expected for a free intermediate cymbal. Might have to investigate

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Z series and Z Custom are the same series, just rebranded later. They were all the (primarily) unlathed series with the heavy / unique hammering patterns (w/ punches shaped like hexagons, stars, circles, etc.).

Last edited:

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Z series was completely unlathed, just buffed to a brilliant finish. Z Custom, while still heavy, were lathed; they and resembled heavy As to a degree. Not as clangy, but indeed loud.
Bright hats - Paiste Signature series (B15 alloy) in general would be very bright, I'd say you can choose between soft bright (medium hats) or loud bright (heavy hats).
You're thinking of Z3. Z and Z Custom were both unlathed. Actually -- correction, there were SOME lathed models in both the Z and Z Custom lines (the medium crashes, especially), but the majority of the cymbals in both lines were unlathed.

Last edited:

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Z series and Z Custom are the same series, just rebranded later. They were all the unlathed series with the heavy / unique hammering patterns (w/ punches shaped like hexagons, stars, circles, etc.).
No expert. The First iteration had those star etc. hammer marks, later they had round indentations. The ones below sound less clangy than a Dyno beat, I seem to remember they looked lathed, but might be wrong (edit: ok, a meidum crash is what I remember, actually quite nice).The Dyno btw was the only original Z cymbal that never got discontinued because it was used on the Z/K hi-hats.

Dyno:

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay more than $85 for a pair of 13" Z hi hats. Clangy and unmusical. Throw a 13" K top hat and you have a set of K/Z hi hats worth $125.

If you want a rock set of hi hats, 90's New Beats can be had pretty cheaply. Sabian AA is also really cheap.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The few old K’s I’ve heard have all been pretty dark and washy
not the two (specific era I mentioned...
that's why I mentioned them;
tho thin, Intermediates are Bright
tho thick, old K cons are at once low and Bright
can't think of a more bright cutting pairing
(I've owned) (and own)

OldKs 015.jpg OldKs 016.jpg OldKs 018.jpg OldKs 019.jpg

Last edited:

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay more than $85 for a pair of 13" Z hi hats. Clangy and unmusical. Throw a 13" K top hat and you have a set of K/Z hi hats worth $125.

If you want a rock set of hi hats, 90's New Beats can be had pretty cheaply. Sabian AA is also really cheap.
I have 60’s and 2000’s new beats so interested in something a little different but I think I agree $125 is more than the Z’s are worth and he turned down $100. Anyone have experience with quick beats? Was thinking they might be a good match with the “pre-eqed” vibe of the fiberglass concert toms and single headed bass. I like the sabian aa’s I’ve played as they feel similar to A’s but don’t know models too well. Any particular ones to try to check out that would be a departure from new beats?

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
not the two (specific era I mentioned...
that's why I mentioned them;
tho thin, Intermediates are Bright
tho thick, old K cons are at once low and Bright
can't think of a more bright cutting pairing
(I've owned) (and own)

View attachment 503546 View attachment 503547 View attachment 503548 View attachment 503549
Interesting. Never would have suspected. To tell you the truth I thought you were being facetious to begin with like answering Paiste Rude’s to someone asking about warm subtle crashes. Thanks

Reactions: JDA

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting. Never would have suspected. To tell you the truth I thought you were being facetious to begin with like answering Paiste Rude’s to someone asking about warm subtle crashes. Thanks
I agree with your original assumption. Those cymbals are not anywhere near "bright". For a jazz player, those might be considered "bright", but they're definitely not what you're looking for. They're all significantly less bright than New Beats.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No expert. The First iteration had those star etc. hammer marks, later they had round indentations. The ones below sound less clangy than a Dyno beat, I seem to remember they looked lathed, but might be wrong (edit: ok, a meidum crash is what I remember, actually quite nice).The Dyno btw was the only original Z cymbal that never got discontinued because it was used on the Z/K hi-hats.

Dyno:
Love the pedal sound on them, but the stick sound is deeper/darker than I would have expected. The drums I’m pairing with are kind of one dimensional towards either disco/funk sort of sounds or Dio/Scorpions sort of hard rock/heavy metal vibes. Thanks for the videos