Z dyno beats or other bright hi hat options

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
A Custom Mastersound might do the trick and also work with your other stuff. Ive got a set of 13’s in great shape I’d part with for a fellow member. (I have 12’s too if that floats your boat) Great hats, I just don’t use them. Another classic bright hats setup of course is the 13” K/Z combo, tons of those for sale on the interweb for cheap. ($200ish)

Here’s one you don’t see too often, the ‘notched’ K hats! The bottom is a heavy, unlathed cymbal with 4 notches (your guess is as good as mine as to what that’s supposed to accomplish, but they stopped doing it after like two days so…)

A Constantinoples (A Zildjian & Cie stamp, made for a pretty short span iirc around the same period as the ‘hollow logo’) would work great, but they’re pretty scarce. Brilliant, NB-ish weights, some sound very nice indeed with a bright tone but not harsh. Not crazy pricey (shouldn’t be anyway) but hard to find. There’s a pair for $290 on Reverb, that’s way high, but they are legitimately rare. $150-$200 seems more realistic to me, but what do I know.

For newer stuff, the tone and volume of the KC Hybrid could work very well. They can cut through a mix with ease, have a nice crunchy chick, and look great. Come in 13.25”, 14.25”, and a cool 14” Ltd. Ed. ‘reversible’ set (one hat is lathed edge/unlathed interior and one hat is unlathed edge/lathed interior, and hats can be flipflopped to taste)

1988fxlr

Reaction score
A Custom Mastersound might do the trick and also work with your other stuff. Ive got a set of 13’s in great shape I’d part with for a fellow member. (I have 12’s too if that floats your boat) Great hats, I just don’t use them. Another classic bright hats setup of course is the 13” K/Z combo, tons of those for sale on the interweb for cheap. ($200ish)

Here’s one you don’t see too often, the ‘notched’ K hats! The bottom is a heavy, unlathed cymbal with 4 notches (your guess is as good as mine as to what that’s supposed to accomplish, but they stopped doing it after like two days so…)

A Constantinoples (A Zildjian & Cie stamp, made for a pretty short span iirc around the same period as the ‘hollow logo’) would work great, but they’re pretty scarce. Brilliant, NB-ish weights, some sound very nice indeed with a bright tone but not harsh. Not crazy pricey (shouldn’t be anyway) but hard to find. There’s a pair for $290 on Reverb, that’s way high, but they are legitimately rare. $150-$200 seems more realistic to me, but what do I know.

For newer stuff, the tone and volume of the KC Hybrid could work very well. They can cut through a mix with ease, have a nice crunchy chick, and look great. Come in 13.25”, 14.25”, and a cool 14” Ltd. Ed. ‘reversible’ set (one hat is lathed edge/unlathed interior and one hat is unlathed edge/lathed interior, and hats can be flipflopped to taste)
I’ll know if I’m still on the hunt ones the z customs come in in a few days. Funny you mention the A constantinoples. The brashest heaviest crash I’ve ever heard was an old 18” brilliant finish A Constantinople crash I got from a school band teacher when I was a kid. It was probably meant as a marching cymbal of some sort but I feel bad for whoever had to carry it through a half time show. Made z customs and paiste rudes seem like paper thins

red66charger

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not read all the comments in this thread, but have you considered Zildjian Quick Beats? My son was using a set of Quick Beats with his pop band and they cut pretty well at the gigs I saw him play.

1988fxlr

Reaction score
I have not read all the comments in this thread, but have you considered Zildjian Quick Beats? My son was using a set of Quick Beats with his pop band and they cut pretty well at the gigs I saw him play.
Definitely interested in checking some out but ended up going for a set of 14” z customs cheap online to try out

Living Dead Drummer

Reaction score
I had 13" Z Custom Dyno Beat hats back in the day. Great for loud, heavy rock, and I especially like them in the studio. Eventually I cracked one, and sold the other. I did come across a 14" original Z Series Dyno Beat in a used music store as well. I used that as a bottom hat with an A Custom Top for a while as well. Perfect for rock music, and when you need that extra aggression, flipping them around and having the Z Series as the top was great.

Over the last few years I have since began to favor Hi Hats with less volume, as I like to keep them tucked under a mix rather than up front with the kick and snare.

SKINZ

Reaction score
I have an 80s 14" KZ Hats I pair the z bottom with a Pastie 3000 Heavy Bottom on Top ....... most excellent sound :cool:

JBludwig

Reaction score
I had a set of 13” K/Z dynobeats back in the day. I didn’t find them bright and crisp at all, actually they felt heavy and Clangy to me. I traded them straight up for a set of Sabian 13” AAX Fusion hats that I use for a right side closed set. They compliment my main hats which are Zildjian 14” Rock hats. I’ve had them since I was a kid.

For my practice/gigging kit, (a clear Vistalite 22, 13, 14, 16) I wanted some really bright loud hats. So I mated up a 14” Zildjain A Custom bottom hat with a Sabian AA Rock Sizzle hat. (Purists cringe now). Man, they sound Awesome!!
IMO try different hats and different sizes. Mix em up until you find the sound to does it for YOU. Good Luck…
EC6FFEF9-7210-425E-ADF8-0C9180339FDF.jpeg
E6AF5DCC-46C2-45C6-B38C-162CE6F7D809.jpeg
23C36C13-FCA7-4853-859B-4408D7ED37D7.jpeg

1988fxlr

Reaction score
To update this, received the used “z custom” hi hats from guitar centers website today. I knew one of the cymbals was missing its ink from the one picture they posted, but couldn’t see close enough to look for hammer marks. The top cymbal I got doesn’t have any of the star or hexagon hammer marks I associate with Z’s so I think it might actually be an A custom of some sort.

together they sound pretty clangy and unmusical in my low ceilinged drum room, but the Z bottom sounds great with one of the sabian aa marching crashes on top, and the mystery top hat sounds alright on the bottom of the other so I’m happy enough for $94 b20 hi hats.
Appreciate all the input and I’ll attach pictures if anyone can identify the top
8DB36451-2961-484E-B889-884EAF449DEC.jpeg
8DB36451-2961-484E-B889-884EAF449DEC.jpeg
D6EA0CD9-74CD-4411-8EF7-0D76B342A10C.jpeg