Zee next new project…

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thinline Tele. The body is a slight basket case. The neck came off of my Keef Tele. I haven’t decided if I am going to go for a Relic finish, refinsh her in gold, or make it a Frankentele.

I have an Antiquity pickup right now, though if she goes Frankentele, I have a Quarter Pounder. Brass Gotoh bridge with machined brass saddles, also off my Keef Tele.

At any rate, the neck will be uniquely finished. I won’t go out of my way to hide the origins of my stuff, so the back of the peg head and the base of the neck will be untouched, showing what this neck was before I liberate most of it of the thick poly finish. I will also leave between the frets glossy, as these will age in their own unique way. I will finish the peg head and back of the neck in Tru Oil. On this build, I will go for a very organically relic’d finish, opposed to the dragged from the back of a truck look of my Micawber/Malcolm replibute. This will be an entirely original build with a few cues from my favorite players. Eyelet bolts for my strap and a quarter (EVH) and five saddles on a brass bridge (Keef). Yes- the brass bridge is chrome plated.

Here are the parts:

5B01556E-C5D3-4A01-B136-DAA565554BF9.jpeg
498C3CCF-E508-4E03-B532-625AD80CB401.jpeg
80F53802-F4A7-471C-94DF-36CAE71B89DB.jpeg

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Updates: ordered a black blank pick guard. Going for a single Tele bridge pickup. This will look sharp.

I have cleaned up the neck. I am not going to get rid of the witness marks from the “Squier” decal. I will see what oil does to it. There is even a bit of figure on the peg head, visible when I use mineral spirits to clean. I plan on a very light coat of Tru Oil and reapply often.

Going for light relic, which means no refinish, no additional artificial aging. It is a nice mahogany body.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As my friend from England would say, ”she’s a bit buggered and maybe fully Roger’d, but she ain’t cream crackers and we can fix ‘er!”

1004F467-8D25-4813-AEB0-884053D1B17D.jpeg
460E283B-24FD-4279-B664-2C02F7992095.jpeg
687B7277-EB26-4925-8F5E-CEBE184F9FB6.jpeg
A99A68F1-CB95-4113-BA5E-33072E720B62.jpeg

Last edited:

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
She is, but there are a couple of wobbly areas. No worries, neck fits just fine.

I decided she is an Esquire Thinline. Good, old school pick up and simple controls.
Won't you miss the neck pickup? I tried a esquire once...kepth reaching for the neck pickup but he wasn't there :)

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Won't you miss the neck pickup? I tried a esquire once...kepth reaching for the neck pickup but he wasn't there :)
I play mostly bridge pickups, so I won’t find it lacking. I was going to throw a Quarter Pounder in, but ultimately it was going to demand a weird paint job. This is too nice for a weird paint job.

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are you gonna do esquire switching with the tone control bypassed in “lead” position? I have always wanted to hear a tele with a hot pickup and esquire switching (like a Fralin SP43)

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are you gonna do esquire switching with the tone control bypassed in “lead” position? I have always wanted to hear a tele with a hot pickup and esquire switching (like a Fralin SP43)
I am actually going one pot: volume. So it will be all lead, all the time :)

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
Oh man…its a shame that the bridge doesn’t cover entirely the pickup cavity :(
Chrome knob would look rad on that guitar. Bakelite is cool but in my opinion does not go so great with a black scratch plate!

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Oh man…its a shame that the bridge doesn’t cover entirely the pickup cavity :(
Chrome knob would look rad on that guitar. Bakelite is cool but in my opinion does not go so great with a black scratch plate!
And I may change the knob.

It’s a tough part of this, which is why I call it a basket case.