Zeppelin Fans

harry

Reaction score
I have most (maybe all) of the vinyl albums, lots of tape (with lots of hiss) and about four CD's from when they first came out. Now I'm thinking of getting the "collection set" of Led Zep stuff. What's the set to have?? I remember when the last Re-masters came out, there was a lot of talk about how JP "tweaked" his guitar a little too much...maybe over some of the drums??
Anyway, what is your opinion..
Thanks,
Harry

Vipercussionist

Drummer Extra Ordinary
Reaction score
I have most (maybe all) of the vinyl albums, lots of tape (with lots of hiss) and about four CD's from when they first came out. Now I'm thinking of getting the "collection set" of Led Zep stuff. What's the set to have?? I remember when the last Re-masters came out, there was a lot of talk about how JP "tweaked" his guitar a little too much...maybe over some of the drums??
Anyway, what is your opinion..
Thanks,
Harry
I'm always into the "classic" recordings, but I like to hear the newer ones, just to see if there's some subtlety that was lost in the older technologies.

drumbum38

Forum Member
Reaction score
I have the box set from 1990. (Remastered/4CD's). Doesn't have the BBC sessions on it, just tracks from the studio albums. It sounds great IMO and the drums are strong. I haven't heard any of the latter sets that followed so can't help ya there, but I'd be happy to upload any track of your choosing if you want to check out a sample of it.
Peace, Eric

9Lb Tongue

Oily Beau Hunk
Reaction score
I love LZ, but does anyone really listen to them anymore? I'm so burnt out on so many of the songs.

I still have most of their vinyl, but I never really break it out and listen to both sides in their entirety anymore...

Ludwig100%

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have the Live BBC sessions. The complete Studio Recordings Box set, and whatever the last DVD was with the pic of the desert on it. This was my upgrade from tapes. I feel it's all I need, and the last time I will buy any rehashed Led Zep. And I love the band!

Jimmy was a master at re-selling the catalog. 10 albums, in as many years, still going strong! Dare I say only Gene Simmons with KISS stuff has done a better job.

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
How the west was won is a great live album... I think Bonhams' playing and his sound are both killer on that one.
as for the boxset question, cant help ya there..

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How the west was won is a great live album... I think Bonhams' playing and his sound are both killer on that one.
HTWWW is indeed great! Much better that The Song Remains the Same as a live album. Sure to bring a smile to even the most jaded fan.

cmceleste

Reaction score
I pretty much have all of their digital recordings but personally never heard their vinyls. Didnt really start listening to them until about 5 years ago... when i was 20.
Gotta say BBC Sessions is my favorite but all the songs sound great.
I wish there was an easy way we could all share our music

chachidrummer

Reaction score
i don't own any "sets" but i really love my "How the West was Won" live CDS - comes as a 3cd set...lol...and is really great. sounds soooooooo good could be studio!

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Complete Studio Recordings is good.

How The West Was Won is good and the Live DVD is excellent.

PJD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The 1990 boxed set with the cornfields on the box is reputed to be the best sounding. I believe they were tweaked again around the time of the 'cube' set of all the albums. The bitch of it is if you get the one with the cornfields you have to get the Box Set II to have everything. That's a 2 disk set that's harder to find. I found it here on Amazon Led Zeppelin boxed set II But the packaging and book that come with the 4 disk Cornfield set are great.

FWIW I really like the running order on the boxed set, makes for a great 'needle drop' album experience.

And as for who still listens to Led Zeppelin everyday? I do!

I have a 1TB external hardrive devoted to live Led Zeppelin bootlegs. If after you acquire both boxed sets, How The West Was Won (both CD set and DVD as they are totally different shows and setlists) as well as the new remasterd The Dong Remains The Same hit me up if you want to get into the live stuff.

harry

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice! Gave it some thought last night and decided there is some Zep I don't care about..."Did I say that"..I know I'm going to hell for that.. but anyway, I do have the 1st four re-mastered from the 90's so I just ordered HTWWW and the BBC stuff last night. That should give me most of what I want and I'll see later if there is anything else I want. Close to $200 for the box set and you don't even get everything..not such a good deal!!
Thanks again for the help!!
:New_Orleans_Saints: Harry :New_Orleans_Saints:

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
The 1990 boxed set with the cornfields on the box is reputed to be the best sounding. I believe they were tweaked again around the time of the 'cube' set of all the albums. The bitch of it is if you get the one with the cornfields you have to get the Box Set II to have everything. That's a 2 disk set that's harder to find. I found it here on Amazon Led Zeppelin boxed set II But the packaging and book that come with the 4 disk Cornfield set are great.
I have both of these. One of my favorite songs is an unreleased song that's on Box set II. "Baby come back home" I think is the name of it. Great 6/8 bluesy ballad. I believe it was supposed to be on LZ I

animalbeats

Reaction score

Ive got this album, and love it, listen to it LOUD whilst tralvelling over the scottish moors, i love the drive home.

PJD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Dong Remains The Same
Now that's funny...! :lol: Is that the X rated version?

I know it was a typo since the D and S are next to each other... :icon_smile:

Actually, I put it in that way on purpose to see if anyone would get it! I'm as die hard a fan as there is but that movie just flat out sucks. There are a million close ups of Robert Plant's package! My best friends uncle said when the movie came out in his town, it got a terrible review and was titled by the reviewer The Dong Remains the Same. I could not stop laughing.

I'm really glad i have the Ear's Court bootlegs, that to me is the essence of led Zeppelin.

Robert Plant was obsessed with showing off his batch