Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Reaction score
I was there!
4B33F4E5-88AF-4AD7-8947-B83AC7FCF0F1.jpeg

Skyrm

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw in '79, as fa as I remember. Seats in the nosebleed section, in the corner behind Bonham. Watched him over his shoulder all night. Loudest concert ever for me. And I loved it.

Thanks for the post!

Lamontsdad

DFO Star
Reaction score
Everybody I know who saw Zep said the same thing: their ears felt blown out by the end. I wish I could have seen them back in the day.

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is a knock on the video's audio, but yes. They toured extensively with Showco.
No not a knock on the video's audio. Any live Zeppelin shows are worth the listen regardless of audio quality. I remember Showco now that you mention it. Must have been their recordings that went into the studio and became How The West Was Won, which is perhaps the best live Zeppelin recording to date.

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One regret I have is never had the chance to see then live…first too young then Bonzo passes…ugh!

Man Jimmy sounds like he had a few too many…LOL

Can’t imagine Zeppelin without the solid in the pocket groove of John Bonham!

Last edited:

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sometimes they sound good, but definitely not their shining hours.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Did Zeppelin ever tour with a sound guy or crew?
Makes you wonder huh. They did but these Board Recordings really suck. Steven Wilson redid Jethro Tull's Manchester Show from '76 and it' a bit better, but still you got alot of crap sound from back then.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sometimes they sound good, but definitely not their shining hours.
I saw Zeppelin live in the 70's (it was always an Event) and heard many, many board recordings over the years. Zeppelin was never gonna be Rush. Every breath in a Rush show was pre planned and exact. Zeppelin shows were outlined but sometimes they went off a bit and that opened the door pretty wide for sloppy or shall I say, questionable playing. I gotta tell you though the best I ever heard them sound off a board was probably Dallas '75. The MSG '77 show was great but I was 17, but there was alot of roughness when I heard some recordings of that night. I think you take it for what it was and if you focus on John's solo posted in this show above and hear him quote Max Roach, you cannot but help admire Bonzo as a legend.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No not a knock on the video's audio. Any live Zeppelin shows are worth the listen regardless of audio quality. I remember Showco now that you mention it. Must have been their recordings that went into the studio and became How The West Was Won, which is perhaps the best live Zeppelin recording to date.
Actually, to me, the best sounding Zeppelin was the O2 show with John's son Jason in 2007. That kid ignited a fire under Jimmy, Robert and JPJ and they played great! And I don't care what Robert said to Jason about using a double pedal in Good Times, Bad Times versus his dad doing it with one. Though it was true.

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I saw Zeppelin live in the 70's (it was always an Event) and heard many, many board recordings over the years. Zeppelin was never gonna be Rush. Every breath in a Rush show was pre planned and exact. Zeppelin shows were outlined but sometimes they went off a bit and that opened the door pretty wide for sloppy or shall I say, questionable playing. I gotta tell you though the best I ever heard them sound off a board was probably Dallas '75. The MSG '77 show was great but I was 17, but there was alot of roughness when I heard some recordings of that night. I think you take it for what it was and if you focus on John's solo posted in this show above and hear him quote Max Roach, you cannot but help admire Bonzo as a legend.
The best live I ever heard of them was a BBC show in 71 just before the 4th album came out. That was insane!

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was at this show at the Pasadena Rose Palace. Possibly their first US tour not sure. An enormous concrete box where they crammed kids in like sardines. I graduated from high school that year. Me and my friends had never heard any band sound as huge as they did on the first album and made sure we were there. Sound by a local company called Black Gold. The show was amazing.

Zeppelin Pasadena.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 10.55.51 PM.png

Doof

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I really want to take the time to listen to this, but every 77 tour video is accompanied by sounboard recordings that make it unlistenable for me. That or poor quality bootleg recordings - some L.A. Recordings excepted.

Jones slappy bass, plants slapback echo, and Page & Bonham’s dry instrumentation. I would love it if there was a pro mix with mic’s in the stadium. I think that would be 100% better.

Same reason I hated when a band I was in use to record ourselves from our soundboard every gig and critique on the way home. It sounded so blah, which I know was not the case our front. Maybe Page has something somewhere.

lamartee

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have fond but pretty hazy memories of being at the late Friday night show. Typical Fillmore East eclectic line-up.
1670634225971.png

lamartee

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
May 1969 NY Times review

Woody Herman band Fillmore on the same bill as Led Zeppelin. Apparently things didn't go too well
Actually the draw for me was Delaney and Bonnie. Zeppelin was a bonus as far as I was concerned and Woody Herman was a name I heard my mother talk about. (I seen to remember the Herman set was pretty much a disaster because of the sound.

Last edited: