Zickos officially gone

Zickosman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't know how long this has been up, but I thought I'd share. I know most of you don't know about these drums, but I do. I've been playing them since 1973 and I love mine.

"Since the late 1960s, we've been putting our hearts, our minds and what often seemed like our very souls into manufacturing some of the finest sounding drums available anywhere.

But now, due largely to continuing family obligations, we've made the decision to cease making our beloved drums. While it wasn't easy coming to that conclusion, it was one that needed to be done.

In recent years, we have been approached occasionally by various manufacturers or individuals who wanted to purchase the company and continue the Zickos brand. We were definitely flattered, but frankly, both Bill Zickos and myself were never really confident that they would be able to continue making the drums they way we felt they should be made.

So, instead, we preferred winding down our operations and doing the equivalent of riding off into the sunset with our heads held high.

Effective immediately, we will not be accepting orders for new drums.

To those countless drummers out there who have been almost like family to us, we express our deep-felt thanks for letting us into their lives. And to all of you we say, live in peace, always try to do the right thing and, if you're going to do something, do it well.

John Brazelton

President
Zickos Drum Company"

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
sad stuff indeed. everything comes to an end i guess. doesnt make it feel any better though.

mike

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
Ending it on their own terms, I like it although sad that Zickos will no longer be with us.

Speedy Keen

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember this, but not all of it extremely clearly. I grew up about 200 miles from where Zickos was built. Was probably about 12 or 13
years old. Bands used to come and play for dances at a gym behind my house. Those were the days that hundreds of people would
show up and the bands often traveled in old school buses. I was always drawn to watch them load in and set up. Most of the older
musicians I encountered were nice. It was a huge influence. I remember some band, can't think of the name that had a "clear"
drum set, which was just out of this world. This was way before Ludwig and Vistalite. It was a Zickos set and probably a very
early one. That memory , of that set is still very clear in my head. I have never had the chance to own any , but being in this
area, have seen quite a few over the years. It is sad to hear this, but I understand.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Zickos pioneered the acrylic shell. Their stuff was meticulous. Everything after them was a copy, and typically not as well made (certainly, Vistalites were inferior to Zickos).

Zickosman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The handwriting has been on the wall for a very long time. It's just sad to see it official. I bought my first kit from Brazelton in his factory in Lenexa in 1973. I sold two other kits for him. Probably the fact that I never bought another is part of the reason for their demise.:(

nickg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Zickos pioneered the acrylic shell. Their stuff was meticulous. Everything after them was a copy, and typically not as well made (certainly, Vistalites were inferior to Zickos).
i agree 1000% on that. too bad their rack tom mounts sucked badly!!! that didn't help.

Thud

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I read about this a few months ago when I bought my first Vistalite kit and decided to research the whole acrylic drum thing. I take my hat off to them.

atomicdave

DFO Master
Reaction score
Their website was dated like 2006 or something...I tried the FB stalking of "Zickos" and exchenges messages with a woman that told me Bill Zickos was her fathers uncle or cousin or something but wasnt sure and no family members have heard from him for many years....he probably filed bankruptcy and is living well on a nice little Greek island :rolleyes: INDEED: great drums..i just recently shipped a 22/14/14/16 to a fellow drummer in NORWAY! He said he'd send me a pic of it there, i'll post if i get it...

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Did they only have the ability to make 14" toms and 22" kicks back in the beginning? and I guess 18" floortoms?

All of the kits ive seen utilize two 14" rack toms with different depths.

atomicdave

DFO Master
Reaction score
Did they only have the ability to make 14" toms and 22" kicks back in the beginning? and I guess 18" floortoms?

Not sure on when and what sizes, but indeed a lot of 14" double set ups...i have seen 12,13 toms and the kit I sold had a 16x16 floor tom...I believe Zickosman has 12/13 toms on his kit...

Zickosman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Not sure on when and what sizes, but indeed a lot of 14" double set ups...i have seen 12,13 toms and the kit I sold had a 16x16 floor tom...I believe Zickosman has 12/13 toms on his kit...
I bought mine direct from Bill Brazelton from the factory in 1973. Bill Zickos was not in the picture at the time. There were a lot of sizes available. I still have the original catalog. I requested 12, 13, 16 & 22x14 at the time because I liked the sizes and I had cases to fit them. The stock kit at the time was larger as I recall. My new kit is 12, 13, 14, 16, 18 & 22x18. I still have the original snare.

lovethemGretsch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Really dig their lug/rim design ... are there any benefits to that style of rim ? - Does it float freer ?
Sad news indeed, add them to the list ...
:cry:

Chris

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A travesty and yet the imports thrive.Makes me sick.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Really dig their lug/rim design ... are there any benefits to that style of rim ? - Does it float freer ?
Sad news indeed, add them to the list ...
:cry:
The rims on the original Zickos were really innovative. They had slots in them to receive little claws which held the tuning rods. The rods went into the lugs, which had rotors in them so the tuners could settle into the right spot. You loosened the rods, and the claws would fall away from the hoop, making it easy to change heads without having to unscrew the rods from the lugs. Bill Zickos told me they had to stop making them in the 90's due to prohibitive cost.

They worked great. Zickos created many awesome innovations. Someone complained about their tom holders, but I never had any problems with them.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
A travesty and yet the imports thrive.Makes me sick.
Amen. Zickos was a part of the great era of American innovation. Sadly, due to the global economy, the imports ran them out of business because of their cheap labor. The Americans simply couldn't compete any more. I hate it, too, but it's reality.

Latest posts