Zickos Super Sonic w/matching Ludwig Supra

Vistaliter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like weird drums... I have 2 of these complete. One black & this one. The bass drum sounds awesome, the toms I'm still trying to figure out...

Bring on the silly comments ;-)

Attachments

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like it! Never saw the red. Only the solid white in that model. I had a clear set in regular shells. Kept the snare. Someone here has the set.

Vistaliter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had these painted by Eagle Body Works. It's an orange with light sparkle in the clear coat. Pretty sweet finish.

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
I've only seen the white ones too. The bass drum looks like a front loading washing machine. Especially in white. I like them too!

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
Step one in sorting out the toms would be to give them some actual bearing edges. Maybe the set I had was altered, but the edges were FLAT profile.

This design aimed for a dead sound with hydros top and bottom. For live drums you need thinner heads, which need bearing edges.

Vistaliter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
All the edges are flat on these. There was only 10 kits produced. I only know of 8. I have 3 of them. Prototypes that never made it. They were all white, as far as I know, except one- I have a factory-blue kit. Set up like concert-toms. The rack Tom got so out-of-round, but I have an extra in white.

Not sure if I will have those painted, or just sell on ebay.

Vistaliter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ill take some photos of it tomorrow it I have time. It's in my office, above my drum shop at the moment.

Vistaliter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wish... Old photo. The weather here is pretty bad at the moment. It was 53 degrees yesterday, then foggy, then sleet, then snow, now ice. Welcome to New England.

Zickosman- as a point of interest, I am restoring my clear early 70's kit this winter. 22/13/14/18/6.5 - I am in the process of buying all new blue Evan's hydraulics. There is also someone on eBay selling some nice-looking repro decals.

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
For years those drums were like some half-remembered fever dream to me. Were they real or had I imagined them?

I saw a set for sale, used, in Doman's Musicland (Elyria OH) circa 1981 or so. It was at least another 20 years before I was able to confirm what I had seen.

Only 10? And I've laid hands on 2 of them myself? Mine were actually just the 3 toms with the 18/15 in a DW cradle serving as bass drum.

Zickosman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Vistaliter said:
I wish... Old photo. The weather here is pretty bad at the moment. It was 53 degrees yesterday, then foggy, then sleet, then snow, now ice. Welcome to New England.

Zickosman- as a point of interest, I am restoring my clear early 70's kit this winter. 22/13/14/18/6.5 - I am in the process of buying all new blue Evan's hydraulics. There is also someone on eBay selling some nice-looking repro decals.
FYI, you can make your own head decal in your computer, print it (backward) on some clear label material and fix it to the inside of your drum head. BTW, the kit in the avatar has all new Evans blue hydraulics. I had to find them on Amazon.

agogobil

Drum Czardine
Reaction score
Do you think those were a takeoff from Trixon's Telstars, with the smaller diameter resonant head? Loftier minds spoke of a "compressed", "sharper", "focused" sound ... :dontknow:

Latest posts