Zickos Super Sonic w/matching Ludwig Supra

Vistaliter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When i Became interested in these many years ago. I was told only 5 were made... Definitely not true. I contacted the guys at Zickos when they were still in business and the reply I got was between 5 & 10 ever...

I know of on in Rhode Island at a place called Village Music, or something like that. The photo drumjinx showed was in CA and sold. No idea where it is now.

As I said, I like weird drums. I almost bought some Molecules, but everyone I asked about them said they sounded pretty bad.

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow! Love those green ones. How does the Red kit sound? Big and Bonham like?!

MilesM

Reaction score
First time seeing these as I am searching for info on my clear kit. Pretty wild

Regarding the toms on these kits, there was another picture in another post that showed them small side up!

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
Were the original heads on the clear Zickos clear Evans Hydraulics..top and bottom, front and rear? I had a few buddies who played these kits in the early to mid 70's. Vistaliter, you're in Ipswich right? I'm up above Newburyport.

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
Yes Steve, Zickos put those heads top and bottom on all their toms and basses. Seems like part of the design as the SuperSonics in particular had absurdly raggedy bearing edges. Seems like their thought with both these and the acrylics was to generate a ton of sound and then prune it back via the heads. But put Ambos on the SS drums and dogs will cover their ears and howl. No problem on the acrylics though, which had fine edges.

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
FloydZKing said:
Yes Steve, Zickos put those heads top and bottom on all their toms and basses. Seems like part of the design as the SuperSonics in particular had absurdly raggedy bearing edges. Seems like their thought with both these and the acrylics was to generate a ton of sound and then prune it back via the heads. But put Ambos on the SS drums and dogs will cover their ears and howl. No problem on the acrylics though, which had fine edges.
Thanks for the info Will! I thought that might be the case; both these guys were animals yet the sound seemed very warm overall.

Latest posts