ZICKOS SUPERSONIC PROTOTYPE

simplehominid

Reaction score
I own what might be the last zickos supersonic 4pc.set yet to be located. if anyone has info about these rare drums please let me know. my name is lee at 8168784598

simplehominid

Reaction score
my phone won't let me send
Can you post pics here , then we can all talk about them ...

It’s great fun ..
my phone can't send multimedia pics. I bought them over thirty yrs ago at a shop in kcmo. bill zickos home city. I knew nothing about the history of them at the time.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score

I remember the ads..

Explorers Percussion Vintage and Used
Kansas City, MO, United States

Boom.
What condition are yours in?

Last edited:

simplehominid

Reaction score

I remember the ads..

Explorers Percussion Vintage and Used
Kansas City, MO, United States

Boom.
What condition are yours in?
I was told that all were originally green, or white I forgot. I took the head off one of the toms, used a razor to search original color. I'm completely confident they were originally black.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Seems like Explorer's Percussion is well familiar with them Are you close to that store?

simplehominid

Reaction score
Seems like Explorer's Percussion is well familiar with them Are you close to that store?
5 blocks away. I went there once and the owner seemed to be in a hurry. he ha to play that night. ironically he had a vintage white supersonic he was loading up. I'll go back sometime. just want them restored

simplehominid

Reaction score
5 blocks away. I went there once and the owner seemed to be in a hurry. he ha to play that night. ironically he had a vintage white supersonic he was loading up. I'll go back sometime. just want them restored
I asked him why he was using that particular set. he said he likes the way they sound.

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was told that all were originally green, or white I forgot. I took the head off one of the toms, used a razor to search original color. I'm completely confident they were originally black.
The fibreglass may be black but they were finished white. I grew up in KC and saw my fair share of Zickos. My buddy had that set and I was insanely jealous. Do talk to Wes at Explorers. Nice, knowledgable dude. For a full refurb and paint, depending on condition of course, I would contact someone who does Vettes or boats.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I asked him why he was using that particular set. he said he likes the way they sound.
coincidentally, This was Explorers sold this--->

simplehominid

Reaction score
when I used a razor to slightly cut the edges I didn't see any white at all, but I trust your judgment. btw, are they worth restoration?

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
when I used a razor to slightly cut the edges I didn't see any white at all, but I trust your judgment. btw, are they worth restoration?
A lot of stuff could have happened to those over the years. Could have been stripped and repainted, who knows. I have no idea of the real market value or if it's worth the $ to resell but, if they were mine I'd refurb them just to preserve the history. Hell I'd play em! They sound great with Evans blue hydraulic heads. At least they did in 1976 or so. :)

simplehominid

Reaction score
A lot of stuff could have happened to those over the years. Could have been stripped and repainted, who knows. I have no idea of the real market value or if it's worth the $ to resell but, if they were mine I'd refurb them just to preserve the history. Hell I'd play em! They sound great with Evans blue hydraulic heads. At least they did in 1976 or so. :)
your right. The curiosity got me more than the value. I'm no getting any younger, would love to hear referthem as should. I'm going to refurb, enjoy their strange beauty, then eventually sale. thanks

Speedy Keen

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember seeing a white set of the really strange shaped Zickos at Kansas City Drum Works, in late 80's or maybe just a bit past that. I remember the set I saw was white. That store was on State Line Road.