Zil Snap wtf??

madchops82

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hi JP. I'll give you a Jazz festival for 4 of those thing............JUST KIDDING!!!

atomicdave

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ludwig congas are kinda fun and cool....I don't really play them at all, BUT as a collector/player, i have acquired a few....a pair of 70's red sparkle, a 63? (4 digit serial) Oyster Blue in the old style with the attached calf head, no lugs, and the rototom-looking deal inside to tension the head, and and 80's green sparkle (for which I removed the rivited peices of wrap....came off good enough to wrap a snare or two....and my latest was a champagne sparkle to match my 67 set......Hmmmmm......did Trixon ever make congas ? ? ?

atomicdave

DFO Master
Reaction score
oops! I had 2 pages open and replied on wrong one....that was for the psych congas....anyhow, related, the champagne set i got years ago at an auction for $100 had lots of extras....toolboxes of parts....saw on of those but never knew what it was...was with wire bending jigs and small tools in a box with a few drum parts in the bottom...saw this post and happened to be looking in the box for lugs and BAM....i have one of those zil snaps in the gold/brass finish! Gonna try it w my 8' 505 splash i've had for bout 25 yrs....on the ludwig bass drum l arm cymbal mount......

UnderFire

Reaction score
"I BELIEVE THESE WERE CALLED ZIL SNAPS AND USED BY BUDDY."

I'm just going to go ahead and guess that 2 people thought this was actually USED by Buddy.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
In the artists' lounge at the Zildjian factory, if I remember correctly, every stand (and there are dozens) has a cymbal snap. They must have boxes of 'em stored away.

I have two on vintage bass-mounted cymbal mounts...wish I had 2 more...but not at that price!

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
I still have 1 brand new one left. I use the Camber T-Tops instead. They were called Zil-Bel Snaps. I think Armand and Louie came up with them. Zildjian and Bellson. That is from memory. Not positive.