Zildjian ‘Take Five’ cymbal

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
[QUOTE="JazzDrumGuy, post: 2008520] but the "original" is more mellow and a darker crash and there's no way you get that in a newer cymbal.....
[/QUOTE]

I wonder how new the cymbal was when Joe used it to record that song?

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="JazzDrumGuy, post: 2008520 but the "original" is more mellow and a darker crash and there's no way you get that in a newer cymbal.....
I wonder how new the cymbal was when Joe used it to record that song?
[/QUOTE]

True, I think P.F. said '57 or '58. I still think the "new" cymbals back in the day were better that new ones. I am sure some were dogs, too....and you can't compare a 60+ year old cymbal to a new one.

Last edited:

2000dan2000

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn’t resist and pulled the trigger on the 2208gr Take Five ride... just came in today. Haven’t had time to do anything more than a cursory tap-tap-tap, but, totally digging it. Compared to the 22” K its sitting next to it’s obviously brighter, a bit less stick definition, a nice wash that builds very easily, and very very crashable. I’ve had a few different 50’s/60’s A’s, none in this size but... it’s brighter than what I remember my others being but that’s not necessarily surprising given it’s aim and it’s age. Looking forward to getting to know it better in the coming days...

0F28AE40-25D7-4078-81C0-FCE21976F9C7.jpeg
1E89D6F1-A94A-4DD4-964C-922802C03997.jpeg

D19F7142-F709-4741-87CE-9EA4BEDBAB84.jpeg
52EA3730-C993-4B4A-94FE-762E0F18FCF9.jpeg

cymbal.wiki

Reaction score
Here is the discussion when the Take 5 first appeared and you will find more info in that thread like the original weight and trademark, plus some general analysis of weight variation.

If you watch the video of Paul Francis describing how he made it (start 1 minute in)

you will see him explain the key design factors. The hammering is partly A Zildjian and partly A Zildjian & Cie Vintage and we picked that A Zildjian & Cie Vintage hammering influence back in 2019. The bell is a Medium cup although it sounds like Paul might be using a newer die than the late 50s version. Paul lathed them himself. The lathing style appears to me as standard 1960s with larger tonal grooves on both bell and bow but still a bit uneven. The lathing is not specifically A Zildjian and Cie Vintage lathing. I've got a set of 20" ride cymbals spanning the 1950s to the 1980s plus an A Zildjian and Cie Vintage. There isn't anything very different in the lathing of the A Zildjian and Cie Vintage series from what was happening with the A Zildjian series at that time. There is something different between the late 50s lathing and the 60s lathing, especially in continunig the larger tonal grooves up onto the bell. I suspect people meant hammering style when they said lathing style in previous posts? But then I may have missed something about the A Zildjian & Cie lathing style. If I have missed something please let me know and I'll incorporate it cymbal.wiki when we get to the discussion of lathing styles.

@2000dan2000 I can see that yours does have a rolled in 1960s trademark rather than a laser stamp. This is part of the retro vibe which Zildjian reintroduced with the A Avedis series. Your photo isn't quite big enough for me to spot all the diagnostics to be sure it is what we call the 1960s short stamp. I know that the A Avedis series uses the 1960s short stamp because I bought one to add that to my reference collection. Any chance you could post a bigger image of just the trademark stamp? The reference for the two documented versions of the 60s stamp is here

in case you aren't sure. I'm interesting in getting the details down for the cymbal.wiki entry for the Take 5 cymbal when we get to it.

Last edited: