Zildjian 20" A Take Five Reissue Ride Cymbal - Memphis Drum Shop

PressRoll

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Looks like an interesting deal. I personally do not like the look of the hammering but I would need to hear some sound files before I felt the need to get one.

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
so... I watched the video... didn't see or hear the cymbal... watched a guy pack a cymbal... oh well

price seems fair, picture looks interesting, probably not for me, moving on...

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
California Residents:
⚠
WARNING
: Cancer and Reproductive Harm - www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.

why does that warning accompany the finished product doesn't that apply to its manufacture?>. weird..

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
so... I watched the video... didn't see or hear the cymbal... watched a guy pack a cymbal... oh well

price seems fair, picture looks interesting, probably not for me, moving on...
They have failed to highlight the video link in their text further down. Here is the Take Five cymbal video

California Residents:
⚠
WARNING
: Cancer and Reproductive Harm - www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.

why does that warning accompany the finished product doesn't that apply to its manufacture?>. weird..
That seems to be yet another programmer glitch, although it might be that the legal department figured that if you just stick that on every page of a web site you cover yourself. They seem to do it whether or not the finished product contains the chemical or if any of the any of the chemicals on the list were used in the manufacture. :dontknow:

Last edited:

Old Drummer

Reaction score
This sounds like a marketing ploy, though I would be interested in knowing what work Zildjian put into replicating the cymbal. If it's only a reissued old A of about the same weight as the one Morello used, there's no point in paying $300 for the reissue. Any old A from the same era can be purchased for less. However, if Zildjian put work into replicating the cymbal in ways that make it a more exact match, this would be an interesting cymbal to own. Heck, I might even buy one.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The reissue looks to have hammering like a K. I don't recall seeing any SS A's with that kind of look. I've run through a dozen or so 50' A's 20" the past year. Didn't find any that sounded like Joe's ride cymbal.

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think there might be confusion between the still image of the video (and the video itself) with the product being marketed.
That video is a generic cymbal being shipped, as that is the default image and video for a Stock item, which is what the link is ... as opposed to a MyCymbal actual cymbal demo.
The hammering is very obviously A cymbal hammering for the actual Stock cymbal image in the upper left.
The image and video are very obviously hand hammered artisan work for the large cymbal in the center.
Perhaps that is causing some confusion.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
I think there might be confusion between the still image of the video (and the video itself) with the product being marketed.
That video is a generic cymbal being shipped, as that is the default image and video for a Stock item, which is what the link is ... as opposed to a MyCymbal actual cymbal demo.
The hammering is very obviously A cymbal hammering for the actual Stock cymbal image in the upper left.
The image and video are very obviously hand hammered artisan work for the large cymbal in the center.
Perhaps that is causing some confusion.
Yes. The hammering on the Morello Take Five is done with the current generation of impact hammering machines. Traditional concentric ring in pattern. It might be like an A Avedis series in hammering (but no faux patina) but comparing the picture to my A Avedis vs my A Zildjian & Cie Vintage I'd say the hammering depth looks a bit more like my Cie Vintage. But the faux patina makes it hard to see the A Avedis hammering depth on mine (which is an 18" not a 20"), and I'd really need hands on for a closer comparison. And I'd need to see the bottom of the Take Five Reissue (hint to potential owners).

It looks like this cymbal also has the rolled on stamp (rather than modern laser stamp). If I'm right it shares this attribute with the A Avedis series although I'd need a much closer look to see if Paul Francis is using the 60s Short Stamp or he resurrected a Small Stamp for this one. He once mentioned that he has most of the surviving die stamps sitting on the corner of his desk. But I'm not sure how many can be pressed :icon_e_wink: back into service.

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 4.49.57 PM.png

Again, the number of misinterpretations based on the big video window suggests to me that MDS need to rethink the design of this page on their site. They aren't doing themselves any favors.

Last edited:

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
However, if Zildjian put work into replicating the cymbal in ways that make it a more exact match, this would be an interesting cymbal to own.
Paul Francis had access to the original (as featured in the Take Five video) and he has many successful cymbal cloning jobs under his belt. He is a master craftsman in this area. Whether 100 drummers would agree the cloned cymbal sounds "just like" the original, and sounds "very different from" a sample of late 50s cymbals of a similar weight is an experiment we probably won't be able to carry out.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
This one seems strange, not the cymbal but the webpage. Almost seems like a quick add and hopefully will be better once they have them in stock and get a proper video like they are known for. I have some 14" new beats and a 17" crash that both could use a 20" ride to go with them ;)

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One thing that I do appreciate is that it's a standard price. $299 is what a new 20" A costs so no inflation for a "Special" cymbal run.
That's what I was thinking.
Whether or not it deserves the "Take Five" moniker remains to be seen (heard).

But I give them credit for not making it a $600 "limited edition" Take Five cymbal...

And, ironically, I sold my 20" A Medium ride awhile ago and have been thinking how much I miss that size ride.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This one seems strange, not the cymbal but the webpage. Almost seems like a quick add and hopefully will be better once they have them in stock and get a proper video like they are known for. I have some 14" new beats and a 17" crash that both could use a 20" ride to go with them ;)

They have two types of pages.
A normal MyCymbal page with the image of the cymbal and a quick video demo of the “exact cymbal” you would be purchasing.
And they also have the Stock Cymbal pages. These are generic as they don’t represent an actual specific cymbal ... just the generic cymbal being featured for sale. If you purchase one of those, you don’t get the “exact cymbal” from some demo. You get a Stock cymbal off the shelf.
That’s why the generic video appears. It’s on a generic page for each cymbal series and line.

Seb77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To my ear, the 2013 re-issue meidum ride sounds pretty close already. maybe they added some weight.

I think we discussed the original cymbal when that video came out: I think it's a nice cymbal, but not a rare sound. IMO It's Joe's touch that makes the recording stand out, and the acoustics at 30th street studio where it was recorded.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes. The hammering on the Morello Take Five is done with the current generation of impact hammering machines. Traditional concentric ring in pattern. It might be like an A Avedis series in hammering (but no faux patina) but comparing the picture to my A Avedis vs my A Zildjian & Cie I'd say the hammering depth looks a bit more like my Cie Vintage. But the faux patina makes it hard to see the A Avedis hammering depth on mine (which is an 18" not a 20"), and I'd really need hands on for a closer comparison. And I'd need to see the bottom of the Take Five Reissue (hint to potential owners).

It looks like this cymbal also has the rolled on stamp (rather than modern laser stamp). If I'm right it shares this attribute with the A Avedis series although I'd need a much closer look to see if Paul Francis is using the 60s Short Stamp or he resurrected a Small Stamp for this one. He once mentioned that he has most of the surviving die stamps sitting on the corner of his desk. But I'm not sure how many can be pressed :icon_e_wink: back into service.

View attachment 409935

Again, the number of misinterpretations based on the big video window suggests to me that MDS need to rethink the design of this page on their site. They aren't doing themselves any favors.

Right.
I didn’t mention the A Avedis with that funky patina for sure. It does appear to share the machine hammer marks of those A cymbals. It might lean more towards the Cie line ... interesting call. That would make WAY more sense in light of a Special cymbal run.
Cool cymbal no matter what the outcome. I like that they gave a nod to Joe.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
They have two types of pages.
A normal MyCymbal page with the image of the cymbal and a quick video demo of the “exact cymbal” you would be purchasing.
And they also have the Stock Cymbal pages. These are generic as they don’t represent an actual specific cymbal ... just the generic cymbal being featured for sale. If you purchase one of those, you don’t get the “exact cymbal” from some demo. You get a Stock cymbal off the shelf.
That’s why the generic video appears. It’s on a generic page for each cymbal series and line.
Got it...guess I've never clicked on any of the "Stock" cymbal pages before.

Latest posts