Zildjian 20" A Take Five Reissue Ride Cymbal - Memphis Drum Shop

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Looks like the late 90s/early 2000s Vintage Cie without the logos (@zenstat)? Morello’s sounds heavier though.

Not mine, FYI...

Zildjian Vintage CIE Ride Cymbal - 20" - 1948 grams - Used
https://reverb.com/item/25551859-zildjian-vintage-cie-ride-cymbal-20-1948-grams-used?utm_source=ios-app&utm_medium=shareView attachment 409979
Yes I mentioned the similarity because the hammering on the web site example looks like mine. But my A Zildjian & Cie Vintage is much lighter than that Reverb one and his less deep hammering. Mine is from the Rarities Reprise year (2010) and is at the low end of the weight range for this model. A svelte 1790g. Joe's cymbal would sound heavier than the A Zildjian & Cie Vintage cymbals because it is: 2192g. The specs according to the video are:

Joe Morello's "Take Five" Cymbal Specs:
Weight: 2192 grams
Size: 20 1/8" (51cm)
Model/Stamp: 1950's Zildjian Small Stamp "B"

and according to me it has a late 1950s Small Stamp type A (because the top isn't complete). But who's quibbling.

Last edited:

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
And all this time I thought it was a 602. Seriously
You are not alone in that. Joe had both, but his 602s came on the scene after the first Take Five recording. There was a previous thread from when the video appeared...and several related discussions over time.

The very first video version was removed by MSD so it doesn't appear in this earlier thread, but I do discuss the 602 thing:

and also this from 2018 which is probably saying 21" because there is a 1958 Zildjian Set Ups of Famous Drummers entry which has 21" Ride (Medium) Ride, 19" Crash Ride (Med. Thin), 14" Hats (Medium).

A 21 inch Zildjian A was used by Joe Morello on the original...hand picked at Zildjian.
Pretty famous cymbal.
And there must be another thread I haven't found where I posted my images of the cymbal (and trademark) taken from the video via screen grabs. I'll see if I can find it (and/or my images). I thought I had collected all this stuff in one place pending a Joe Morello entry in Cymbal Wiki, but now I can't find it again. Grrrr. Too many files.

Last edited:

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
The original ride is a 21 ?
No. The Zildjian Artist pamphlet mentions a 21". The Take Five cymbal is 20" (or more accurately a slightly oversized 20" which isn't that uncommon for late 50s cymbals). Drummers have more than one ride cymbal on hand most of the time, and the Artist Set Up pamphlets (for both Zildjian and Paiste which are the ones I am familiar with) don't always reflect what was used at a particular concert or on a particular recording.

I just put the Artist Set Up page in that post because I came across it. I mentioned that this page is probably the source of the quote about it being a 21" I gave above. So this

A 21 inch Zildjian A was used by Joe Morello on the original...hand picked at Zildjian.
Pretty famous cymbal.
is now deemed out of date and likely based on a pamphlet not first hand knowledge of "this exact cymbal". :icon_e_wink:

Last edited:

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You are not alone in that. Joe had both, but his 602s came on the scene after Take Five was recorded. There was a previous thread from when the video appeared...and several related discussions over time.

The very first video version was removed by MSD so it doesn't appear in this earlier thread, but I do discuss the 602 thing:

and also this from 2018 which is probably saying 21" because there is a 1958 Zildjian Set Ups of Famous Drummers entry which has 21" Ride (Medium) Ride, 19" Crash Ride (Med. Thin), 14" Hats (Medium).

And there must be another thread I haven't found where I posted my images of the cymbal (and trademark) taken from the video via screen grabs. I'll see if I can find it (and/or my images). I thought I had collected all this stuff in one place pending a Joe Morello entry in Cymbal Wiki, but now I can't find it again. Grrrr. Too many files.
I always knew it was an A Zildjian and the recording of Take Five pre-dated his association with Paiste. But I always assumed it was 20" Ride. I learn something new here every day.

And I'm sure Paul did a great job reproducing the cymbal, but for me it's a clear case of it being "The archer, not the arrow."

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
But I always assumed it was 20" Ride.
Well from my stats experience the MDS official measurement

is close enough to call it a 20" and not a 19" or a 21" (both possibilities were suggested along the way). :icon_e_wink:

And yes to it being "The archer, not the arrow". Joe was always on target.

Tracktuary

Reaction score
Joe is great. The cymbal sounds like an A with some chime. I'd pay a lot of money to have Joe's touch. I wouldn't pay $300 for that A sound.

VinSparkle

Reaction score
Yes I mentioned the similarity because the hammering on the web site example looks like mine. But my A Zildjian & Cie Vintage is much lighter than that Reverb one and his less deep hammering. Mine is from the Rarities Reprise year (2010) and is at the low end of the weight range for this model. A svelte 1790g. Joe's cymbal would sound heavier than the A Zildjian & Cie Vintage cymbals because it is: 2192g. The specs according to the video are:

Joe Morello's "Take Five" Cymbal Specs:
Weight: 2192 grams
Model/Stamp: 1950's Zildjian Small Stamp "B"

and according to me it has a late 1950s Small Stamp type A (because the top isn't complete). But who's quibbling.

I missed your prior comment: “It might be like an A Avedis series in hammering (but no faux patina) but comparing the picture to my A Avedis vs my A Zildjian & Cie Vintage I'd say the hammering depth looks a bit more like my Cie Vintage.”

My A Vintage Cie 20” ride is from 2001 and weighs 1956g. For your database.

Tracktuary

Reaction score
I'm not much of a a fan of that A sound, but I do like the clip above with Riley. There is the higher pitched stick sound (driven by the bell?), while the supporting cushion is low. Not a bad pie at all--probably very useful in context.

Latest posts