Zildjian 20" A Take Five Reissue Ride Cymbal - Memphis Drum Shop

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
maybe it's the studio or Joe's touch, but the cymbal does sound better to me in the drums-only intro than it does in the demo.
It's not the very same cymbal after all, and a different player (John Riley, check him out if you haven't). Also, see the stick comment I made above. Then there's also mic'ing etc.

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
Yes. The hammering on the Morello Take Five is done with the current generation of impact hammering machines. Traditional concentric ring in pattern. It might be like an A Avedis series in hammering (but no faux patina) but comparing the picture to my A Avedis vs my A Zildjian & Cie Vintage I'd say the hammering depth looks a bit more like my Cie Vintage. But the faux patina makes it hard to see the A Avedis hammering depth on mine (which is an 18" not a 20"), and I'd really need hands on for a closer comparison. And I'd need to see the bottom of the Take Five Reissue (hint to potential owners).

It looks like this cymbal also has the rolled on stamp (rather than modern laser stamp). If I'm right it shares this attribute with the A Avedis series although I'd need a much closer look to see if Paul Francis is using the 60s Short Stamp or he resurrected a Small Stamp for this one. He once mentioned that he has most of the surviving die stamps sitting on the corner of his desk. But I'm not sure how many can be pressed :icon_e_wink: back into service.

View attachment 409935

Again, the number of misinterpretations based on the big video window suggests to me that MDS need to rethink the design of this page on their site. They aren't doing themselves any favors.
Just wondering if anyone has purchased one of these and what the weight is? This may be a stupid question, but would there be a considerable weight range from cymbal to cymbal?

egw

Reaction score
Does Zildjian still make the Armand Ride? That one always sounded pretty close to what I hear on Take 5.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Does Zildjian still make the Armand Ride? That one always sounded pretty close to what I hear on Take 5.
No the Armand series went out with the 2013 redesign (thinner weights in most models) the only Armand left is the 19" Beautiful Baby ride (with three Rivets clustered)

Old Drummer

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has purchased one of these and what the weight is? This may be a stupid question, but would there be a considerable weight range from cymbal to cymbal?
I googled this awhile back and found some weights (I think from Memphis Drum Shop) and noticed some variation in weights. I don't remember the exact variations I found, but my recollection is that you might end up with a cymbal 100 grams heavier than Morello's, which struck me as a lot for a replica, though my memory may be faulty.

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
I googled this awhile back and found some weights (I think from Memphis Drum Shop) and noticed some variation in weights. I don't remember the exact variations I found, but my recollection is that you might end up with a cymbal 100 grams heavier than Morello's, which struck me as a lot for a replica, though my memory may be faulty.
THanks Old Drummer. :)

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Made me look. :glasses8: The weights for the Take 5 cymbals accessible via YouTube are

2152 <<== median weight of the replicas
2194 <<== weight of the original

So the replicas tend to be lighter not heavier. Unless you spotted a 2294g I'm not finding? I should have recorded them all when they first came out but I don't think I did. And if I did I won't find them until I tidy my disk a bit more.

Range of the reissues 2254 - 2044 = 210g

Expressed as a percentage of the median = 210g / 2152g = about 10% = plus or minus 5%

Plus or minus 5% is about what the weight range is for other models I've tested (eg Medium Ride within a production era), so the variation is about the same. I've also compared this to the manufacturing tolerance for the A Avedis series where we know the weight ranges targeted. Same plus or minus 5%. You are looking at manufacturing tolerances. Maybe some people can hear the difference 50g (2 ounces) makes in a 2000g cymbal and that's why cymbalholics are always asking for the weight in grams. :dontknow: I ask for weights a lot myself, but I'm doing it so we can study what weight variation actually is.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
Made me look. :glasses8: The weights for the Take 5 cymbals accessible via YouTube are

2152 <<== median weight of the replicas
2194 <<== weight of the original

So the replicas tend to be lighter not heavier. Unless you spotted a 2294g I'm not finding? I should have recorded them all when they first came out but I don't think I did. And if I did I won't find them until I tidy my disk a bit more.

Range of the reissues 2254 - 2044 = 210g

Expressed as a percentage of the median = 210g / 2152g = about 10% = plus or minus 5%

Plus or minus 5% is about what the weight range is for other models I've tested (eg Medium Ride within a production era), so the variation is about the same. I've also compared this to the manufacturing tolerance for the A Avedis series where we know the weight ranges targeted. Same plus or minus 5%. You are looking at manufacturing tolerances. Maybe some people can hear the difference 50g (2 ounces) makes in a 2000g cymbal and that's why cymbalholics are always asking for the weight in grams. :dontknow: I ask for weights a lot myself, but I'm doing it so we can study what weight variation actually is.
No, I can't say that I did spot a replica at 2294g, since I don't recall, only that I noticed some variation. Actually, 2044 to 2194 strikes me as a considerable variation (150g) for a replica, but it is lighter rather than heavier.

It's also interesting to me that manufacturing tolerances are plus or minus 5%. Although I'd expect this or more from the hand-hammering guys, I thought the machine process would be more precise than this. I guess I learn something new everyday.

Nothing wrong with assembling facts, though; it's even interesting.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Zs are still unique "pies"; every blank is different. I recently saw an interview with Paul Francis mentioning they need to recalibrate hammering machines for every batch.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I find it amazing that Zil no longer hand hammers any cymbals. One would think that they would have at least one line of uber-expensive handmade pies.

Maybe a K Con Master/Artist series with $999 hi hats.