Zildjian 21” Rock Ride Discontinued

zenstat

Reaction score
I know when it came out. Released 1973 with the groovy font, and we know an announcement appeared in print the year before thanks to K.O.

Rock-21-ink.jpg

There were actually two different 21" models, one with a larger bell.

rock21-1976-ad-2.jpg

Rock21-vs-Rock.png

At some point it seems the Rock21 and the 21" Rock Ride became just one model. Anybody know when? It seems to have been before 1982 based on the ink history.

I don't know when the 21" Rock Ride was dropped from the product line. I've followed it until at least the 2013 reset.

21-rockhi-top.jpg

Anybody happen to know the year it was dropped? Anybody who has one (or four) able to give the first two digits of the code which gives the year? @Masecar

In case it isn't obvious I'm still gathering the final bits of info to write up the history of all the Rock models for the wiki. Hats and Crashes included.

Fun fact: the earliest ones have a 60s stamp. We know that is because what we call "the 60s stamp" was still in factory use until 1975.

Last edited:

zenstat

Reaction score
I have a 21” rock ride that I purchased new in 1976. Great cymbal, played many gigs with it, and it is still my main ride on my Ludwig set.
I'd love to know the details of yours. Do you remember if it has (or had) the groovy ink? Can you please check and see whether it has a 60s stamp or the 70s stamp? Can you get the weight? The weight can be in whatever units you like doesn't have to be grams. Does it have the Large Cup (making it a Rock21) or the Special Cup (making it a 21" Rock Ride)? I've attached example measurements. I am happy to talk you through ways to determine which cup it is if it isn't clear to you, as well as any other details I'm asking about.

zildjian-bells.png

I'm checking out a theory that the Rock Rides started out a bit lighter (2700-2900g) and got heavier over time. They may have passed through 3000-3300g (later 70s) on their way to 3300-3900g. Plus as I mentioned before I'm also trying to figure out when the merger between Rock 21 and 21" Rock Ride happened. As there are two things happening at once (getting heavier as well as an inherent weight difference between Rock 21 and 21" Rock Ride) it is hard to tease apart the different factors.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is an interesting little article about Stewart Copeland's Rock 21 ride.

From the author: "Zildjian “Rock 21” ride. Not to be confused with a Zildjian 21 inch Rock Ride.
These were introduced in 1976 and were only around for a little while...
I own this ride and although no two cast bronze cymbals are made 100% identical, this is the spitting image for what I hear on the first few police records. I also own a 21 inch rock ride from the 80s which is much heavier with a much more square bell. This is ride is so musical where as the rock ride is more gong like. The taper of the two cymbals is also very different....Much Lighter than the later Zildjian rock rides. Different contour and bell. Only made in 21 inch form."

zenstat

Reaction score
The 1976 introduction year and the Bicentennial connection is an internet myth. I don't know who started it, but I was a guilty party in repeating it some years ago, before I did the independent research. The groovy font has nothing to do with 1976 and the Bicentennial. The publication date on that flyer I posted is October 1974. It says so in the lower left corner.

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 8.37.23 AM.png

Myth busted.

The rest of the discussion about a different bell is one of the questions I'm working to clarity. Zildjian is clear that it is the Rock21 which has the Large Cup. The 21" Rock Ride has the Special Cup. I've documented the increase in weights, but that's a general ride cymbal phenomenon and we don't know how much is specific to the two different models. There is a theory that the Rock21 was lighter and more tapered (thinning metal towards the edge) and thus easier to crash. That would mean that when Zildjian said "special weight" for the Rock21 they meant it was lighter than the 21" Rock Ride. Very ambiguous language used.

The ink illustrated in that article as a Rock 21 Ride is not. It is the ink for the 21" Rock Ride. It is the same ink which was used on the 20" Rock Ride. So the author has got the two models reversed if he was going by the ink. This is NOT a Rock21:

Rock-Ride-ink-624x383.png

The author might be mixing up the Large Cup, Special Cup and the Medium Cup for all I know. :dontknow:

Last edited:

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hmm. That’s odd. They should discontinue the 20 and keep the 21. Similar thing happened with the K Heavy. Disc’d the 21 and 22 versions. I like the K heavy over the rock ride, and I think it accomplishes the same thing with a better tone. So bring back the K Heavy in 21 and 22 sizes.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The groovy font has nothing to do with 1976 and the Bicentennial.
I meant the Red White and Blue in the Ads (not the ink on cymbal)

Every company that sold anything- geared up for (as early as 1974 even) in their advertising for the Bicentennial

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'd love to know the details of yours. Do you remember if it has (or had) the groovy ink? Can you please check and see whether it has a 60s stamp or the 70s stamp? Can you get the weight? The weight can be in whatever units you like doesn't have to be grams. Does it have the Large Cup (making it a Rock21) or the Special Cup (making it a 21" Rock Ride)? I've attached example measurements. I am happy to talk you through ways to determine which cup it is if it isn't clear to you, as well as any other details I'm asking about.

View attachment 524022

I'm checking out a theory that the Rock Rides started out a bit lighter (2700-2900g) and got heavier over time. They may have passed through 3000-3300g (later 70s) on their way to 3300-3900g. Plus as I mentioned before I'm also trying to figure out when the merger between Rock 21 and 21" Rock Ride happened. As there are two things happening at once (getting heavier as well as an inherent weight difference between Rock 21 and 21" Rock Ride) it is hard to tease apart the different factors.
Well, my back is out at the moment so I can't weigh the cymbal. But I can tell you it is very heavy. The cymbal was purchased as a set of pre-packaged rock cymbals in 1976, 15" high-hats, 17" and 19" crashes and the 21" ride. They all were stamped "Rock". I don't remember if the ride was stamped differently. You can still see the "Rock" stamp on the inside of the bottom high hat cymbal. The crashes are long gone, the 17" cracked and the 19" got a nasty keyhole from my Ludwig Atlas cymbal stand. I still have the high-hats and the ride cymbal.

Here are a few pictures of the ride.

IMG_0373.JPG

IMG_0377.JPG

IMG_0406.JPG

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I suspect "discontinued" is a marketing exercise and what will actually happen is the Rock 21 will be placed in "The Disney Vault" for a couple of years before being re-introduced in a much-hyped "available-only-for-a-limited-time" ad campaign.