Zildjian 22” Ride measures in short?

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just got my new to me 22” Zildjian K Light Ride in today and the first thing I did was measure it, which I do to every cymbal I buy because....well people edge crack them, send them to someone to lathe them down then resell them. This 22” is exactly 21-7/8”. I also noticed that the crescent of the stamp is right on the edge.

Well this is my first Zildjian. I have been a Paiste man my whole life and when Paiste tells you something is 22” it is 22” to the T.

So my question to you Zildjian men is this? Is this par for the course with Zildjian, maybe call it hand made, artisan variation, or is this a Friday on a Ford Motor Plant assembly line special, or did someone possibly cut this cymbal down?

I went around the edge and it is smooth, smooth, not even the hint of something suspicious....and if it was lathed then we are talking a 1/16” off the circumference. Pretty unlikely. Still, that stamp is so close to the edge that a 1/32” more and it would be missing pieces.

3484434D-1569-4054-8E00-568828E8BA50.jpeg

11443BE1-9036-443F-8E2A-1A65CC44A105.jpeg

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
"You know how to pick em Natch! :)
in my experience a Zildjian 22 is a 22 (excepting maybe some from 1951..;
Now if it was a "Bosphorus" you'd be ' Right on the money! sizewise....

on the other hand, hard to imagine the expertise and toolage it would have taken, to decrease that diameter..possible but..
certainly not amateur (altho long ago Spider told me he has his..plumber cut one down (but it was a cheapo brass So...

Last edited:

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
"You know how to pick em Natch! :)
in my experience a Zildjian 22 is a 22 (excepting maybe some from 1951..;
Now if it was a "Bosphorus" you'd be ' Right on the money! sizewise....

on the other hand, hard to imagine the expertise and toolage it would have taken, to decrease that diameter..possible but..
certainly not amateur (altho long ago Spider told me he has his..plumber cut one down (but it was a cheapo brass So...
Yep, that’s how I’m feeling right now. They don’t give these K Lights away and I already left positive feedback.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Judging by the stamp location right on the edge like that I'd say it's a cutdown - but I'll defer to someone more knowledgeable on the actual sizing of 22” Zildjian K Light Rides.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
sunuvabich You bought her Used or how was it presented..
---all we need is someone else or enough people to post where their laser stamp is on their K Light 22. Pretty popular cymbal right. Hope it sounds good to you that's all that matters. Like I said "Bosphorus" are like Old Ks used to innie minnie in-betweenies (then you get one thats right on) but with the handmade they varied)
Need other K Light 22 owners to chime in)

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
sunuvabich You bought her Used or how was it presented..
---all we need is someone else or enough people to post where their laser stamp is on their K Light 22. Pretty popular cymbal right. Hope it sounds good to you that's all that matters. Like I said "Bosphorus" are like Old Ks used to innie minnie in-betweenies (then you get one thats right on) but with the handmade they varied)
Need other K Light 22 owners to chime in)
I think these type of things go further than whether a cymbal sounds good or not.

Now that I am questioning if this edge has been compromised, if I do attempt to sell it at some point , and I do sell cymbals on whims, then at the very least I will have to disclose it is undersize....because that is how I do business. That will put my listing at a disadvantage and I don’t like that thought.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would never think a cymbal with a factory quality edge was cut down 1/8 all the way around. How many people even know you can do that ?

I say factory. I’ve seen all kinds of Zildjian strangeness

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Used, Reverb.
Check where this is (stamp location) and check every 22 K Light on reverb I think you're ok

but look at the others do you have that 1" edge area of a different lathe/color/sorta flange/ etc

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Check where this is (stamp location) and check every 22 K Light on reverb I think you're ok

but look at the others do you have that 1" edge area of a different lathe/color/sorta flange/ etc
I don’t know, I’m seeing a good 3/16” from that stamp and the edge. But hell, I don’t know, this is my first Zildjian and I don’t know how they run shop. Is 21-7/8” good enough? Does one K Light have one stamp looking over the edge and one 3/16” back? I’d give a cracked Sabian HH China to talk with Paul Francis for ten minutes.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Is 21-7/8” good enough?
it's what my 22" old K new stamp is; but that doesn't help you. My new K Dark Medium is a full 22" (sometimes a full 22" bugs me and isn't necessary) but whether yours was built that way is another question)

Soulfinger

Reaction score
If the edge is smooth it has been cut down. My K Light had a uncomfortably sharp edge.

Just kidding, of course!!! (The first sentence anyway).
My take - the laser engraving machine automatically puts the stamp in the same spot on every 22" cymbal. Yours came out slightly undersized so the stamp ended up so close to the edge.

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ok, so I just got back from shedding a bit, took a few measurements from my cymbals, these are NOT K lights, but contemporary K's with laser etched logos and serial numbers. I don't have any cymbals that are less than the called size, a few over, and all of the laser etched logo measurements to the edge vary a bit.

17 KDMT crash - 17" bottom / 3/8"+ edge to stamp

18 KCD crash - 18 1/16" bottom / 9/16" edge to stamp

14 K H-H top - 14 3/16" bottom / 3/8"+ edge to stamp

12 K splash - 12" bottom / 5/16" edge to stamp

22 KDMR - 22 1/8" bottom / 3/16" edge to stamp

All of this information doesn't mean anything more than I'm a cymbal nerd. Hope you find K nirvana, really, play that baby if you like it, hang onto it for a while. If the details are eating at you, and you have doubt it's the real deal, flip it, or send it back.
Best of luck with your decision, keep us posted if you find positive answers.

Hope the info brings comfort in some way.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Guessing it's a real one not cut down.........as for the the stamp, well uh, no explanation there other than it's Zildjian.......but does it sound good????

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ok, so I just got back from shedding a bit, took a few measurements from my cymbals, these are NOT K lights, but contemporary K's with laser etched logos and serial numbers. I don't have any cymbals that are less than the called size, a few over, and all of the laser etched logo measurements to the edge vary a bit.

17 KDMT crash - 17" bottom / 3/8"+ edge to stamp

18 KCD crash - 18 1/16" bottom / 9/16" edge to stamp

14 K H-H top - 14 3/16" bottom / 3/8"+ edge to stamp

12 K splash - 12" bottom / 5/16" edge to stamp

22 KDMR - 22 1/8" bottom / 3/16" edge to stamp

All of this information doesn't mean anything more than I'm a cymbal nerd. Hope you find K nirvana, really, play that baby if you like it, hang onto it for a while. If the details are eating at you, and you have doubt it's the real deal, flip it, or send it back.
Best of luck with your decision, keep us posted if you find positive answers.

Hope the info brings comfort in some way.
You are a good man Premierplayer. Thank you for that information.

I requested to send it back for a refund. I could talk the whole thing out as to why but won’t.

Maybe I’m having flash backs to Carpentry shop, remembering my teacher calling a measurement off to me while hanging off some gable end; “ Fourteen two and thirteen sixteenths fat.” Where I would cut it with a worm drive skill saw and have a blue buster carry it up to him and he would then yell back dow; “What happened to my fat”

If you are going to call something 22”, make it 22”.