Zildjian 22" K Crash/Ride

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looking for a 22" K Crash/Ride in traditional finish. I assume this points to EAK or IAK. Others? 2600-2900g range. Thanks!

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, been watching that one. I've had some exchanges with the seller and I don't think this is what I'm looking for. He says it has more of a bright, slightly pingy tone. He says it doesn't really sound like the modern, post-2000 K sound. I'm looking for something that's definitely lower-pitched and not so pingy.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure if it would help, but I just purchased a Zildjian Prototype through Drum Center of Portsmouth NH, which has the sound you're describing. Maybe contact the guys there and see if they can supply what you're looking for. They contacted Zildjian with my specific request and were able to get me exactly what I was trying to find.

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot.

Funny...I had contacted them about ordering a 22" K Crash Ride from Zildjian, and, as expected, they said Zildjian wouldn't do it. No mention of prototypes, though.

I'm not sure if yours is something that is along the lines of a Con or old-K-inspired, but that's not exactly what I'm looking for. I'm really just after a lower-pitched version of a regular 22" K. Had a K Light 22 for a couple of weeks; found it too light. Too much airiness and not enough body/mids.

I wish Zil made a more mainstream 22" K in the 2500-2800g ballpark. That's where I find 22s to have a good balance of over/undertones, body and presence/cut. Medium-large bell, too.

A plain ol' 22" K Crash/Ride with traditional finish would be a great all-around cymbal...if anyone out there is listening. :D

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, been watching that one. I've had some exchanges with the seller and I don't think this is what I'm looking for. He says it has more of a bright, slightly pingy tone. He says it doesn't really sound like the modern, post-2000 K sound. I'm looking for something that's definitely lower-pitched and not so pingy.
Cool sounds alot like what I already have only a little lighter. I have a K "ride" from about same time that is about 3200 and is barely crashable, this one might be just light enough to open up.

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it could work!

I also have a 22" regular K ride. More recent production. It's around 3040g and sounds great. Mellow ping with medium-low controlled wash. Nice fairly dry character and pretty crashable. Very versatile.

I'm just after something that is unmistakably low-pitched and dryish, but with body behind it. Larger bell, too.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like it could work!

I also have a 22" regular K ride. More recent production. It's around 3040g and sounds great. Mellow ping with medium-low controlled wash. Nice fairly dry character and pretty crashable. Very versatile.

I'm just after something that is unmistakably low-pitched and dryish, but with body behind it. Larger bell, too.
You'd probably like the Pre-aged dry light ride, I just traded one that had all that

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
or could be a ---K Dark Medium 22----- Charles.
I've a 3013 g one and I've seen advertised some down lower in the 28-29xx range.
dark- low- side- shank- crashy- splashy semi-nuanced- complex- ride wouldn't call it washy unless activated with maybe a baseball bat and some rivets. Ton of bell.

Last edited:

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
or could be a ---K Dark Medium 22----- Charles.
I've a 3013 g one and I've seen advertised some down lower in the 28-29xx range.
dark- low- side- shank- crashy- splashy semi-nuanced- complex- ride wouldn't call it washy unless activated with maybe a baseball bat and some rivets. Ton of bell.
You know, I had one a few years back and maybe the one I had was just a bit too heavy. It had a certain mid-high "whine" in the overtones that I could never ignore. I sold it and replaced it with the regular K 22 that I have now. Much happier.

The KDM rides I hear on the lighter side--2800-2900g--do sound better to me, so that could be a possibility. Doesn't seem like those weights are very common for them, though.

Thanks a lot.

tkillian

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looking for a 22" K Crash/Ride in traditional finish. I assume this points to EAK or IAK. Others? 2600-2900g range. Thanks!
HI.

What do you think of this? 3108 grams, regular modern K. Mint condition.

Last edited:

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
HI.

What do you think of this? 3108 grams, regular modern K. Mint condition.
Sounds nice. I do already have a 22" K Ride like the one above. It's a little lighter and lower in pitch, but I still consider it to be really a medium-pitch cymbal. I do love it all around as a moderately pingy ride but with a lot of additional tonal character. Great response. Doesn't play heavy. Great for rock, blues, and it can play jazz.

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is really the kind of thing I'm looking for. I don't think Zildjian currently makes anything that sounds like this, especially with this kind of clear, larger bell. Obviously, there is aging in play here, too.