Zildjian A 20" Ping Ride Approximate Year

jansara

Reaction score
I have one, bought it sometime in the 70's but it didn't have the ink logo...

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have one, bought it sometime in the 70's but it didn't have the ink logo...
Hi John!

I was also thinking it could be from the 70's. I don't have enough experience with the stamps, so will wait for others to comment on this. Thanks again!

-Mark

jansara

Reaction score
Mine has the "ping ride" stamp on the top. I picked it up early to mid-70's... Schaeffer's Drum Shop, Flint MI. rings a bell (no pun intended)

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Mine has the "ping ride" stamp on the top. I picked it up early to mid-70's... Schaeffer's Drum Shop, Flint MI. rings a bell (no pun intended)
PING RIDE (model ink without the diameter underneath) was replaced by PING RIDE with the diameter ink underneath in the second half of 1982. The solid ink Zildjian on top and bottom was also introduced in the second half of 1982. The CO. version of the trademark stamp seems to have been introduced at the same time. Although my timeline says 1986 for a likely last year for the CO. version of the trademark stamp it isn't pinned down that reliably yet. It also seems like the 70s stamp continued in use along with the CO. version and the 70s stamp lasts until 1993. Research on the last year of use of the CO. trademark stamp is ongoing as I come across other examples with good provenance. Same for whether or not the 70s stamp was in use simultaneously with the CO. stamp, or fell out of favor in 1982-1986 then came back into use. :dontknow: Those sorts of refinements aren't as high in my research priorities as some other ongoing work.

Click this link to the 1982 solid Zildjian ink entry
Click this link to the CO. stamp entry

The PING RIDE model goes back to mid 1950s at least. The model ink style and production methods change, but the PING was around. It's just that almost all the 1950s cymbals have lost their model ink over the decades so cymbals with ink don't appear all that often. When I spot them they enter my database.

The weights I've recorded for 20" PING rides with model ink still on are in the range 2740g - 3100g. This is for 70s and 80s ones. I've got a 22" Hollow Block (aka Large Stamp Type 1) which weights a very modest 2550g with PING ink. And I've recorded two 2006 20" PING RIDEs weighing 2625g and 2635g which seems svelte for that time period. Much more analysis and reporting to be done on model weights and characteristics through the decades...

Last edited:

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's from the 80's. Zenstat's page shows it's from 1982 to 86. You may see the Zildjian CO. stamp, vs. the usual Zildjian Co. See below...

Thanks for the link to all the excellent Zildjian info! So, early to mid-80 it is! I'll look at the stamp later, with a magnifying headset, to more closely compare the stamp.

-Mark

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
PING RIDE (model ink without the diameter underneath) was replaced by PING RIDE with the diameter ink underneath in the second half of 1982. The solid ink Zildjian on top and bottom was also introduced in the second half of 1982. The CO. version of the trademark stamp seems to have been introduced at the same time. Although my timeline says 1986 for a likely last year for the CO. version of the trademark stamp it isn't pinned down that reliably yet. It also seems like the 70s stamp continued in use along with the CO. version and the 70s stamp lasts until 1993. Research on the last year of use of the CO. trademark stamp is ongoing as I come across other examples with good provenance. Same for whether or not the 70s stamp was in use simultaneously with the CO. stamp, or fell out of favor in 1982-1986 then came back into use. :dontknow: Those sorts of refinements aren't as high in my research priorities as some other ongoing work.

Click this link to the 1982 solid Zildjian ink entry
Click this link to the CO. stamp entry

The PING RIDE model goes back to mid 1950s at least. The model ink style and production methods change, but the PING was around. It's just that almost all the 1950s cymbals have lost their model ink over the decades so cymbals with ink don't appear all that often. When I spot them they enter my database.

The weights I've recorded for 20" PING rides with model ink still on are in the range 2740g - 3100g. This is for 70s and 80s ones. I've got a 22" Hollow Block (aka Large Stamp Type 1) which weights a very modest 2550g with PING ink. And I've recorded two 2006 20" PING RIDEs weighing 2625g and 2635g which seems svelte for that time period. Much more analysis and reporting to be done on model weights and characteristics through the decades...
zenstat!

A big "thank you" for all your information on Zildjian cymbals... and Ping rides!

-Mark

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just checked out my 20" Ping Ride using the provided picture, which does confirm that my cymbal is an 80's (82-86) cymbal. The stamp height is 1-1/8" and all the features of the picture are in my stamp.

Thanks, everyone!

-Mark

Attachments

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have any pictures of it but my first pro ride was a ping I bought new in 92 and had that ink, not sure on the stamp

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't have any pictures of it but my first pro ride was a ping I bought new in 92 and had that ink, not sure on the stamp
Hi Chris! It appears that the stamp can really tell quite a bit about the year(s) of manufacture. I've been going through my assortment of cymbals and have what appear to be 60's hi hat cymbals. The oldest is possibly a first generation (early 60's) New Beat set, where only the bottom cymbal has the NEW BEAT ink. I'm trying to sort my cymbals into "family" sets. Doing good so far, thanks to extensive information fro zenstat's website!

-Mark

Latest posts