Zildjian A Sweet Ride vs K Sweet Ride 21"

chillybase

Reaction score
I've been listening to demos online and I like both of the cymbals. I am curious about the volume of the cymbals. Tonally, I like the K Sweet ride sound better. The crash sound seems similar. I just need it to be able to carry and not get lost.

Would either of the cymbals be able to handle an unmic'd brewery style gig? These are small to medium size venues. Anything larger would have a sound person.

My current cymbals are:
15" 2013+ redesign New Beats
18" 2016+ A Avedis reissue crash
18" 90s A medium-thin crash
20" 2013+ A medium-thin crash
(on the chopping block - Sabian 22" Omni and a 22" 60s Zildjian A medium/heavy ride)

I mostly play rock and I'm learning how to play funk and hip-hop (with a jazzier feel). So, not super varied but somewhat.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a 21 K Sweet for a season. It was heavier than I like and the bell was too thick ... so I parted ways with it. Mine was just a lesser of the selections.
For your use ... it would work quite well. It has excellent separation of the ping, bell, and crash. It was too much cymbal for my studio, but it would be an outstanding choice for a live gig.
I would suggest you watch the weight on it as these vary quite a bit. I made a rougher choice and should have sought out a lighter one. My lesson.
Good luck with your hunt.

chillybase

Reaction score
Do you remember the weight of the K Sweet you used to own?

I had a 21 K Sweet for a season. It was heavier than I like and the bell was too thick ... so I parted ways with it. Mine was just a lesser of the selections.
For your use ... it would work quite well. It has excellent separation of the ping, bell, and crash. It was too much cymbal for my studio, but it would be an outstanding choice for a live gig.
I would suggest you watch the weight on it as these vary quite a bit. I made a rougher choice and should have sought out a lighter one. My lesson.
Good luck with your hunt.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well heck. I just checked online in the SOLD arena and came up empty. The weight was removed and the SOLD marker replaced it.
I don't recall the exact weight. I believe it was between 2400 and 2475g ... somewhere in there.
I know it was on the heavier side of these from what I recall.
If you can nail one in the mid-range ... they are very sweet.

chillybase

Reaction score
So I found an A 21" Sweet ride that was listed as mint condition sub $200 on Reverb. It arrived well padded and in the cymbal bag. I finally got to play it today. I dig it and I think I will eventually pick up the K version. I haven't weighed this ride yet. I think as far as my A sound goes, I'm set now. I think I will work on a K sound next.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love the Sweet Ride sound in both A and K versions, so I couldn't wait to find one at a price that I could afford. Eventually found one on ebay and ordered it up. This must have been the one bad-sounding ride in the Sweet universe! It had a wonky undertone, it was dry, and had none of the beautiful wash I'd heard on those I played in-store. I was sorely disappointed and moved it on to a new owner as fast as I could.

I'm still a big fan of the most recent Sweet Rides that I've played on demo. But a new Zildjian ride has me hot to trot now - the AA21R "Avedis" ride has some of the most luscious wash that I've ever heard in any cymbal, along with a just-dominant stick presentation. The new price is waaaay out of my range. And I fear that if I ever find one that I can afford, it will likely be the only nasty-sounding Avedis ride ever made! My luck.

GeeDeeEmm

1576447273979.png

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It looks like you have a nice set of A's and a 21" A. Sweet Ride would be a nice fit. To me, the Sweet Ride in that size is more of a Crash/Ride and I'd probably go with something a bit heavier.

Reaction score
I had both , still have the A better for me a little more of everything but very similar IMO

Iristone

Reaction score
My Armand (very similar to A sweet ride) just invites me to play jazzy patterns. :thumbleft:

Latest posts