Zildjian A with no stamp?

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
Would it be possible that I have an A with no stamp? I can't figure this one out..I bought an old 3 ply set of Ludwigs off the original owner a couple of years ago and it came with hats, 18" crash and a 22 ride..the other cymbals are clearly stamped with the Avedis stamp but the 22 ride has no stamp..it looks very similar in style to the other cymbals, a thin ride, with holes in it for rivets..sounds great (wicked key holing)..I just looked the other day for a stamp, always figuring it was a Zildjian and, low and behold, nothing..

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I've seen quite a few that appeared to have no stamp and eventually found the stamp. I have seen just a couple or so that I could find no stamp on. Zildjian also had factory seconds that had the S stamp on them. I don't think (not 100 percent sure) that the S cymbals had the usual Zildjian stamp on the cymbal as well as the S.

Mike

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
And a 1940s half stamp with an S. Sounds like a dive which would get you a 9 out of 10 from the Olympic judges...

images/12-535-stamp.jpg

This Ziljdian trademark has no Ottoman section applied, and just the S on its own where the Ottoman would normally be. Later in the 1950s there are some cymbals which have just the S and no other trademark, and some where there is a complete trademark plus the S. In some cases it is relatively easy to see the flaw which caused the cymbal to be marked as a second. In this case there is an area under the trademark where the surface shows a foundry artifact.

images/12-535-flaw.jpg

in context: http://black.net.nz/avedis/anomalies.html#USN-stamp

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A lot of the 60's and earlier Italian cymbals aren't marked. And they can sound very similar to a Zildjian...and in some cases sort of look like them. My nephew has one of those and if it didn't have a "made in Italy" ink stamp remaining I'd probably have thought it was a no stamp Zildjian.

Still waiting to own my first "S" or no stamp Zildjian. A Manny's would be nice too....isn't that too an "S" where they decided to spell it "Mannys" instead? So far all of those have eluded me.

Last edited:

Latest posts