Zildjian Amir CRASHES

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have seen, played, owned Amir HHs and ride - but have never had any exposure of any kind to any of the Amir Crashes.
Anybody have any experience with them?
I suppose I should check Youtube out and try to duck when I see an Amir II coming at me.

rock roll

Reaction score
One of my first cymbals was a 16" Amir , and it was a fine cymbal.
It was a used cymbal , I got it back in the late 80's .
I'd catagorize it lower professional .
If you get it at a good price you should be happy with it, if you're not expecting the worlds best cymbal .
Really good for a quality practice cymbal...that you could gig with if you want.
Of course with every production line there are good and bad cymbals produced. So..... Try to listen to them if you can before you buy.
Also , I've never played amir ll .

On another note , one of the worst cymbals I ever had was a zildjian schimitar 18" ... So bad , I tried drilling holes and putting rivets/sizzles in it and it still still sounded awful.
I later got a pair of schimitar bronze hi hats which were an improvement on the regular schimitar . Just FYI .

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had an 18" crash in the 80s. It was a good, lower priced cymbal. I think it was better than other B8 cymbals being made today.

Dan

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
I bought a 16" Amir (not the Amir II) crash in the 80s and it was a decent cymbal. It actually got more compliments than my Zildjian A crash, go figure! Not a great combo together, but hey, you played what you had back then. Lol. I actually hung onto the Amir until just a couple months ago, when I sold it to a good friend who bought a home practice kit. He likes it.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think an 80's Amir crash would be fine if you could get one in a medium thin or lighter weight. I'd be leery of them at medium or heavy weights. I had a 20" Amir Ride and it was quite nice and pingy. A studio producer wanted it for some recordings.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I have seen, played, owned Amir HHs and ride - but have never had any exposure of any kind to any of the Amir Crashes.
Anybody have any experience with them?
I suppose I should check Youtube out and try to duck when I see an Amir II coming at me.
I had a little 16 back in the 80's.
I thought it was pretty nice. Very "A" like, but brighter.
I think it was about $130. Bought it new.

Elvis

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
I haven't heard a crash either (or seen 1). I saw a show were I loved the ride...and it was an early amir. At the place I practice now there's apair of 14 amir hats. Very nice...in fact i just bought an amir power bottom because I always wanted one (would have liked it from the Impulse line...but this seems pretty good).

dtk

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
1st gen. AMIR, box set
20 Ride, not so much...
16 Crash, a little better...

14 Hi Hats, keepers, I paid these forward to a studio friend a while back. I still get to play them occasionally. :D

Latest posts