header.nohb.html

Zildjian " Armand" Series cymbals

DWSlingerland45

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never knew these existed other than the 19" Beautiful Baby ride. I stumbled across them on You Tube recently. I would love to hear your opinions/ thoughts on this series of cymbals if you've owned played them. Thanks!

egw

Reaction score
They were a great line of cymbals. Basically A Custom hammering and lathing on top, traditional A style on bottom. Very pretty sounding.

I had a 20 that I put rivets into. It was a beautiful cymbal, but sounded very similar to a trans stamp I have, so I sold it. Very much wish I had it back.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I went through a few of them. The crashes I played were extremely high pitched for their size. That ... and ONLY that ... kept me from hanging on to them. I gave them to a film soundman that was getting into drumming. He enjoys them.

dharma bum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
About 6-7 years ago I bought a whole set of 21/18/16/14s with bag for a ridiculously low price. I use the 16 crash and hats for gigs - good medium thin sounds. The ride is very nice, and I use it occasionally.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
The baby ride is real nice…got one last year. The thin crashes are real nice. I have the 18”. A classic yet clean sound. I liked new beats over the Armand hi hats.

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Have a 18" thin Armand that cracked this past July 4th....was playing a low to medium volume Classic Country gig and when I put it in the case- I saw the crack along the lathing about 5" from the edge. Crack was 3 inches long. The cymbal is maybe five years old- maybe gigged it a 15 times lightly. I am heartbroken and I cannot find one in Thin weight anywhere.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Master
Reaction score
About 6-7 years ago I bought a whole set of 21/18/16/14s with bag for a ridiculously low price. I use the 16 crash and hats for gigs - good medium thin sounds. The ride is very nice, and I use it occasionally.
Dharma Bum, can I ask what was the ridiculously low price ? Retailer or private sale?

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Basically A Custom hammering and lathing on top

I don't own one ,haven't inspected them closely either, but the lathing seemed to be more A-like, or do you mean A-Custom sans buffing? The Pretty Baby has rather fine grooves, but the others?

egw

Reaction score
or do you mean A-Custom sans buffing?

Yes, exactly.

Natural finish, A Custom top and A bottom. Sabian did the same thing with the Neil Peart Paragon cymbals. Though in their case it would be AAX on top and AA on bottom.

CC Cirillo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve been playing Armand 14 hats (did they make 15s?) and an 18 crash. Enjoy them both. Nothing fancy or totally unique. Just good, down home cymbals I could have taken home to my mom and not get yelled at: “Take that trashy stripper hoochie mama unlathed and unwashed Turkish bronze out of my house this instant, young man!”

When the SF Bay Area was shut down, and I wasn’t able to play out, so I spent a chunk of the time I was able to put on a kit working on dynamics, getting my playing consistent at different volumes and seeing if I could play with quiet ferocity.

The crash is quite nice, although not quite right for my current needs. It has some cut but isn’t shrill, but ‘taint dark either. I think it’d be a good classic rock crash as long as your classic rock doesn’t involve guitar heroes over compensating with large amp stacks.
The Armand hats were great for my dynamics exercises. I’ve really bonded with them. Good range from soft to loud. Now I’m using them in a funky trio of sorts, playing medium volume and they are great. I’m not sure how they’d do with ultra loud applications, though.

I’m going to ask this question: Aren’t the Armand hats similar to the reconfigured New Beats in texture and sound?

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a 18" thin Armand that cracked this past July 4th....was playing a low to medium volume Classic Country gig and when I put it in the case- I saw the crack along the lathing about 5" from the edge. Crack was 3 inches long. The cymbal is maybe five years old- maybe gigged it a 15 times lightly. I am heartbroken and I cannot find one in Thin weight anywhere.
I have one , I’m not sure I like it much .

Attachments

• 9EA7E029-2789-48BD-B3E0-089147042392.jpeg
    9EA7E029-2789-48BD-B3E0-089147042392.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 98

Hulakatt

Reaction score
Got a whole set (14" hats, 17", 18" and a 21" ride) when they first came out and still have them. Ended up selling all but one of my pile of 60's Zildjians and kept these instead. Had to keep that 60's 20" ride though, it's something special.

I switch back and forth between the Armands and some Ibrahim Diril Jazz cymbals.