header.nohb.html

Zildjian " Armand" Series cymbals

INeedDrumLessons

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a whole set (14" hats, 17", 18" and a 21" ride) when they first came out and still have them. Ended up selling all but one of my pile of 60's Zildjians and kept these instead. Had to keep that 60's 20" ride though, it's something special.

I switch back and forth between the Armands and some Ibrahim Diril Jazz cymbals.
I had the hats and the 21" ride briefly and was pretty uninspired by them. The ride wasn't different enough from the A Sweet I had and the hats had a weird chunk to them that I didn't like.

Completely off topic but are you a TGP expat? I recognize your avatar.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I had a full set, sold off the crashes and integrated the Beautiful Baby into it. Absolutely wonderful for 60s rock. I sold them off when I discovered Dream Bliss. Frankly, the Armands would fit just about any genre, including jazz if you have the right touch. I sort of regret selling mine off, but the guy who purchased them loves them and that is all that matters. He is more of a big band/swing drummer if that means anything.

Hulakatt

Reaction score
I had the hats and the 21" ride briefly and was pretty uninspired by them. The ride wasn't different enough from the A Sweet I had and the hats had a weird chunk to them that I didn't like.

Completely off topic but are you a TGP expat? I recognize your avatar.

Yep. Got permabanned for questioning if a white KoT was really rare as you could currently buy them new that way when someone was trying to sell it as "rare" for $1k. Also, Scott Peterson was a transphobic [unfriendly soul/male reproductive organ] who low key harassed me after I came out and did a huge trans AMA thread in the pub. He kept issuing bans and warnings for petty things. More or less harassed me for not being a straight, middle aged, white christian guy. Still kinda raw about it, I was a member there for over 10 years. I hang out over on the offsetguitars forum now.

Last edited:

INeedDrumLessons

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. Got permabanned for questioning if a white KoT was really rare as you could currently buy them new that way when someone was trying to sell it as "rare" for $1k. Also, Scott Peterson was a transphobic dick who low key harassed me after I came out and did a huge trans AMA thread in the pub. He kept issuing bans and warnings for petty things. More or less harassed me for not being a straight, middle aged, white christian guy. Still kinda raw about it, I was a member there for over 10 years. I hang out over on the offsetguitars forum now.
Hey me too! Was a member for over 10 years and got perma-banned April of last year for finally getting sick of all of the garbage you mentioned and calling out the crap. I subsequently started focusing more on drums again and haven't missed it all.

Hulakatt

Reaction score
Hey me too! Was a member for over 10 years and got perma-banned April of last year for finally getting sick of all of the garbage you mentioned and calling out the crap. I subsequently started focusing more on drums again and haven't missed it all.
Small world! What was your username over there? I've used Hulakatt for most of my forum handles forever and was at TGP as well.

I was into drumming long before guitar and it's come and gone and as a passion for me. Currently playing more and more but just not gigging anything any more.

INeedDrumLessons

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Small world! What was your username over there? I've used Hulakatt for most of my forum handles forever and was at TGP as well.

I was into drumming long before guitar and it's come and gone and as a passion for me. Currently playing more and more but just not gigging anything any more.
SweetSAAB. I didn't post much over the years but when I did it usually got me in trouble. Spent most of my time in the Emporium.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. Got permabanned for questioning if a white KoT was really rare as you could currently buy them new that way when someone was trying to sell it as "rare" for $1k. Also, Scott Peterson was a transphobic dick who low key harassed me after I came out and did a huge trans AMA thread in the pub. He kept issuing bans and warnings for petty things. More or less harassed me for not being a straight, middle aged, white christian guy. Still kinda raw about it, I was a member there for over 10 years. I hang out over on the offsetguitars forum now.
That sucks , you have my full support .

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Got a whole set (14" hats, 17", 18" and a 21" ride) when they first came out and still have them. Ended up selling all but one of my pile of 60's Zildjians and kept these instead. Had to keep that 60's 20" ride though, it's something special.

Yep. Got permabanned…
Hey @Hulakatt, just want to say I’m glad you’re here. Sorry for what you went through over there. Just FYI we do have a no profanity rule here and usually don’t allow the term you used to describe that guy, but you’re not going to be in trouble or anything.

I’ve had a few Armand’s, but I have gone the other way from you and kept certain old As instead. I try to only keep the really special ones, but having trouble justifying to myself that I have 3 20s with close weights. Haven’t made a final decision about that. What’s the weight on yours?

Hulakatt

Reaction score
Hey @Hulakatt, just want to say I’m glad you’re here. Sorry for what you went through over there. Just FYI we do have a no profanity rule here and usually don’t allow the term you used to describe that guy, but you’re not going to be in trouble or anything.

I’ve had a few Armand’s, but I have gone the other way from you and kept certain old As instead. I try to only keep the really special ones, but having trouble justifying to myself that I have 3 20s with close weights. Haven’t made a final decision about that. What’s the weight on yours?
Sorry, I edited my post.

Honestly? I have no idea what the weight is on that 60's 20" Zildjian, it just sounds really, really good. I had a full set including hats, a few crashes and another ride that were all just kinda boring and dead sounding to me. What I do know about it is that it came with a '62 Slingerland (Buddy Rich model?) 22/16/13/14wood snare kit. I got the kit and the cymbals that came with it from the original owner (neighbor) in the 90's in exchange for mowing his lawn all summer one year. He got it new in '62 for his Bar Mitzvah. He passed away in 2018 during the Tree Of Life Synagogue shooting.

Edit: Here's an old pic of the kit with a different snare. Sadly, I don't have the kit anymore.

24148891897_a085307fb7_b.jpg

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a full set including hats, a few crashes and another ride that were all just kinda boring and dead sounding to me. What I do know about it is that it came with a '62 Slingerland (Buddy Rich model?) 22/16/13/14wood snare kit. I got the kit and the cymbals that came with it from the original owner (neighbor) in the 90's in exchange for mowing his lawn all summer on year. He got it new in '62 for his Bar Mitzvah. He passed away in 2018 during the Tree Of Life Synagogue shooting.
Quite a story! Sorry the drums are gone, but at least you have a good idea of the history of that cymbal that is precious to you. I don’t have history on any of mine before their previous owners. One of my favorite rides that I’ve mentioned here a lot is the one I call my “ugly duckling.” It’s a 20” at 2145 grams with unoriginal rivet holes, substantial keyhole, and big edge dings. I bought it cheap, but wouldn’t sell it even for a high price. It just has “it.”

Hulakatt

Reaction score
Quite a story! Sorry the drums are gone, but at least you have a good idea of the history of that cymbal that is precious to you. I don’t have history on any of mine before their previous owners. One of my favorite rides that I’ve mentioned here a lot is the one I call my “ugly duckling.” It’s a 20” at 2145 grams with unoriginal rivet holes, substantial keyhole, and big edge dings. I bought it cheap, but wouldn’t sell it even for a high price. It just has “it.”
That set of 60's Zildjians was well cared for and in good condition when I came into them, the rest of the ones I had came from an old, burnt out hippie along with a pile of Gretsch Name Band shells and Ludwig Club Date shells (2 separate but full kits) that the dude brush painted black and took off all the reso's so they would "match" and be one gigantic kit. When I took delivery and was unpacking everything, all the cymbals were wrapped up in towels in a crate, 1 cymbal to 1 towel. Until I got to the hats. When I started to unwrap that towel, the second cymbal slide out and nearly chopped off my big toe on my left foot. In the ER, the doc told me that if the cymbal hadn't hit my toenail, the toe would've come clean off. As it is, it went through 3/4 across my toenail and I lost a decent amount of blood all over my floor. Always wear shoes when unpacking cymbals and never trust old hippies!

I restored the Gretsch shells and traded the Ludwig along with a bunch of other misc stuff for my Downbeat kit.

No idea on the date for the Club Dates but they had the baseball bat mufflers.

The Name Band had one remaining paper chart inside the bass drum for 1964.