Zildjian China Boy High

stevil

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just snagged a 20” CB Low and really enjoy it. It’s mellower than other China cymbals I’ve played. Very fun. Sorry i don’t have experience with the High version.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was as a long time straight swish player a little suspicious when they that model came out and further was split into high and Low. Like what. The regular Swish (for 40 years+ ) wasn't enough?
So I never understood what they were or even saw one. Sorry no help.

little rock

Reaction score
Well, what happened was I met a guy that had one back in the early 90s and I told him that I had, I think it was an 18 or maybe a 20 Wuhan and he ask if I would trade for awhile and I did. Never heard from him again so I ended up with a 20" CB High. I've used it on one gig and man, was it loud! Kinda thinking about rivets for it. IDK.

Reactions: JDA

Sd27

Reaction score
I had an 18 and a 20 from back in the day. The 20 is the way to go. Both sounded good, but the 20 was a bit nicer.

little rock

Reaction score
Joe, I have to dig it out to see, I don't remember, but I think it does.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ll admit I haven’t played one, but I’m also more of Swish guy (I have the knocker). That said, I would rather get the oriental trash version if I were only considering Zildjian. I’d like one of those at some point. The 20” but I would probably put rivets in it since I’m all about the swish.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was as a long time straight swish player a little suspicious when they that model came out and further was split into high and Low. Like what. The regular Swish (for 40 years+ ) wasn't enough?
So I never understood what they were or even saw one. Sorry no help.
"High" and "Low" refer to the shape of the bow, Joe — the China Boy 'Low' models have a bow with a shallower angle (flatter) than the China Boy 'High' models. The different bow angles carry the tension differently, which changes the cymbal's response, pitch and sustain.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have had many over the years and my favorites have been the 20" China Boy High. I still have a minty one from the mid 80s.

Six-Ply

Reaction score
I have a 20" China Low and they do have a flatter profile and a shorter upturned edge than the China High. The China Low is closer to the Swish or a Pang but with the squared off bell. My China Low is a beautiful China and I prefer it to my 18" China High. Zildjian discontinued the Lows in the A line and I believe the A Customs might be close in profile. Lots of KANG. Very little white noise. That's at least from the many 20" A Customs I've hit. Interestingly the only Zildjian China line I don't own.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Zildjian discontinued the Lows in the A line
The still offer the 18" versions of both, I just looked at their website. If you want a larger A, the 22" Swish Knocker is still there, but not filed under the china category, you need to search for it in the A family list.
China low vs. high seem to differ in "pitch", more of a "kong" sound with the low vs. a "kang" with the high model, but this is a generalization, I just heard some files where the sounds seem to overlap. Quite a low-ish sound from the "high" here:

ooh, now we're talking, 22" low model:

Last edited:

Six-Ply

Reaction score
Ok I guess I forgot about the 18" Low. I have the 18" High and it's ok but not great. Nothing like my 20" China Low in brilliant finish. It had 6 holes for rivets so it's the first "Holy China" that I ever owned.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought one in the summer of '83. My buddy still remembers that cymbal from the days we were jamming in my basement. That one really turned his head. To this day all of his drummers have to have a China in their setup.