Zildjian CRASH/RIDE 1970's

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
My brother-in-law bought a huge Ludwig kit in I believe 80-81 and new Zildjians to go with it....I don't remember all the details but I remember for sure 14" New Beats and a 24" Ride, 2 or 3 splashes, I'd guess at least 4 crashes and maybe a swish....all of them I know for sure have/had the hollow Zildjian ink on bottom and model designation on top. I bought my first real cymbals in 91-92 and they had the solid Zildjian ink on bottom.

ekim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I will post a weight and pics/video when it arrives. Hopefully it's a keeper.

ekim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
1450 grams. It's pretty nice. A little dirty. Plan on taping off the logo's and cleaning it.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
1450 grams. It's pretty nice. A little dirty. Plan on taping off the logo's and cleaning it.
So an 18" I presume from the weight. Any chance of hearing and seeing it before you clean it? It might make a nice before/after sound comparison to hear the effect of cleaning.

ekim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's an 18" and I already cleaned it. Results are obvious. I like it better clean. It was filthy and it is brighter and more reactive as a crash. My 70's new beats, on the other hand, sounded better before I cleaned them. Damn, wish I'd left them dirty.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not sure how the 70s/80s ones compare, but I think I own three 20" crash-rides from the 60s/70s, judging by bell size (need to look at the stamps again). Pre-ink, or ink removed. The latter two cases I was drawn to by a soundfile; the first one was actually an German ebay thing buying by picture/description. "Crashes well, but doesn't fit my other cymbals", it said. Reason enough for me to jump on it. Around 65€ in 2004 I think. Anice do-it-all cymbal, and not too far from the Take Five sound. 2150g.

ekim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This thing is nearly perfect for my application. It does have a bit of hum when crashed hard but with the loud music I play, it's not an issue. Prolly not good for acoustic gigs. I think it's a keeper! We play Flamin Groovies style rock and I match it with 14" 70's new beats and a 20" pre-serial Paiste 602 Medium ride 2350 Grams. I don't like splashy light crashes as well as gongy ,stiff rock crashes as well. This one has a nice longer sustain with some edge wobble that I like with crashes, along with my rides. Ready to rock now! I'll get a little video up soon.
IMG_3017.JPG
IMG_3018.JPG

Last edited:

ekim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Got a new 20" 70's Zildjian. Exactly 2041 grams. Any idea about what line it would be? This thing is amazeballs! The bell is larger and less tapered. M
IMG_3044.JPG
IMG_3045.JPG
IMG_3046.JPG
Maybe a thin crash?