zildjian deep ride anyone using one?

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
kip said:
the deep ride i have has a much smaller than normal bell, and it is far more mellower then the ubiquitous Ping and Rock rides of the time.
Has more spread , more shimmer, more overtones...sounds like a musical cymbal, instead of a heavy hunk of metal.
Ah bell size. Since the bells are pressed in against a die they come in specific sizes. My study of bell size isn't finished by any means but these are your basic bell diameters:

4"
4.5"
5"
5.25"
5.5"
6"

Bells also vary in heights although my measurements on those aren't good enough yet due to the nature of my homemade equipment. And bells also vary in shape: how steep sided they are, and the curvature on the top. In sideways using letters top to the right (because it's easy) you've got straight sides flat on top ] , conical > , all rounded ) . Of course there are other combinations. According to Paul Francis they now have something like 25 bell dies, but in earlier days there were 5 basic forms.

More than you want to know about bells from the guy who makes them:
&nohtml5=False

So I'd be interested in hearing about bell diameters for these Deep Rides. It would be good to know the nominal diameter as well (20" versus 22" versus 21" if anybody has one). I've got a Paiste 602 Deep Ride (yes they made one too in the Seen Sound Set) and comparing it to a plain 602 is has: lower profile, smaller diameter bell, fine lathing vs the large tonal groove used on most (but not all) 602 models.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
zenstat said:
The original 70s version, at least the one I own, seems to have a slightly more irregular hammering pattern than other As.
Any chance of pics for my hammering examples collection Seb?
Here you go. This ebay ad pic might have been the reason I bid on the cymbal in the first place (you can only see the hammering in the right lighting, looks completely flat in daylight, se second pic)

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think the Deep Ride was only offered in 20 and 22.

Regarding sizes, I've got a '90's K Crash Ride thats an eighth inch over, and a 13 Hi Hat thats a sixteenth under...

bonzoleum

BONZOLEUM
Reaction score
Kewpie Doll said:
Just curious here... What's the difference between a "deep ride" rather than just any other Zildjian ride?
From my experience, the original 70s Deeps had a flatter profile. I don't recall the bells being smaller.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Thanks Seb. That DEEP RIDE has interesting hammering on two counts. One is that yes the top hammering doesn't look like the usual concentric ring hammering style used on A Zildjians of that era. More like the irregular hammering on the K style in terms of patterning.

For those who want to see what I'm on about: http://black.net.nz/avedis/hammering.html

The second is this presents yet another example of a late 70s cymbal which clearly shows hammering on the bottom. The hammering on the bottom fits the concentric ring style a bit better, especially a couple of rings out towards the edge. I've now documented enough 70s cymbals with hammering on the bottom to question Bill Hartrick's original observation that hammering on the bottom dropped out in the early 60s:

Of course, he never has given us his sample sizes so maybe it was just an over generalization from looking at just a couple of mid 60s cymbals which didn't happen to have visible hammering on the bottom. I don't know. :dontknow: I just know I've documented plenty which do have bottom hammering. And of course we also now have other ways to tell the 70s stamp from the late 50s stamp. They weren't the same at all.

http://black.net.nz/avedis/avedis-gallery.html#50vs70

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've owned 3 Deep Rides... a 22" from the '80's, a 20" from the '70's and one of the reissue 20" from the '00's. The '70's 20" was one of my favorite rides but unfortunately was stolen. Just for comparison's sake, I'm including a profile picture of the '70's Deep Ride and a profile picture of a '70's Light Ride. Notice how much flatter the profile is on the Deep Ride. A sleeper cymbal for sure. Records like a dream.

Attachments

atomicdave

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a 20" 70's thin stamp hollow logo Deep Ride, very faint ghost of logo between bell and stamp. I was wondering about this shallow profile cymbal, seems heavy to me, weighing in at 2876g. Nice clear bell, I've played it a few times, will likely keep it for a while :)

Latest posts