Zildjian "Flange/Bop" Hats questions.

ellaguru

Reaction score
This pair of Zildjian hats just fell into my lap. 14" (sorta...they're off by 1/8") 1949 Trans Stamp Type II is my guess, and they weigh in at 614g/669g. Lighter one seems to be lathed down a bit further as you approach the center. Someone 'cleaned' them along the line, and they have some hairline scratches on them. My sh*^%y cell phone camera enhances them a bit. I dont recall seeing too many pairs of flanged hats, rather the ones i have seen have been a hi hat bottom, and seems to soften the "chick" down a bit. I was hoping to use one as a smaller 'pang' cymbal due to the flange, but they are way too light to use like that. As hats, they are literally silent on a foot "click" unless the top is loose and the bottom is angled off the horizontal. This pair sounds a bit better with the heavier one on top.

Any other infos out there on flange/bop hats? Are the terms 'flange and bop' even the proper terms for these odd ones? Any stamp guidance is appreciated in advance..

Attachments

Last edited:

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Flange and Bop and Swish and Bounce all date from then. Also a ride cymbal with a flange which was the precursor of the Sabian Sound Control (aka Flange Ride) decades later.

z-flange-patented.jpg

Yes to a Type II Trans Stamp in that photo. I've got a pair from the late 50s which are 746g (regular shaped top) and 732g (flange bottom). It looks like yours both have the flange? Or just one? Mine give a nice "chup" rather than "chick", but they are somewhat volume limited compared to some other hats I've got.

Flange hats came back in the 70s (dates yet to be pinned down accurately and not in production for long) in 14" and 15" with a Medium Heavy top over a Heavy bottom. The size of the flange was also increased to 2".

Last edited:

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
And here are some from Gerry (Hazelshould) with a sound file and his entertaining prose. Even a shout out to Captain Cook. :hello1:

On the grand scale of hi hat similarity those sound fairly similar to mine.

parkermike

Reaction score
I have a set of trans stamp 15 inch flange hats. And they sound pretty much like that sound file too. CHUP!

Last edited:

ellaguru

Reaction score
mine are even more muted than Gerry's audio sample. expect these to be for sale soon.

..and thanks for the guidance above!

Bongo Brad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are these both flanged? Maybe try mixing these with other hats before giving up on them.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The lightness of your flange hats contributes a sizable % to that "chup." That's the downside of the thin and paper thins from the old days. On their own they chup and sizzle just fine. But they can get lost in the un-mic'd mix until they get up to the 800-1000 gm range. All my light regular 11, 12, 13, and 14 hats pretty much go "chup."

ellaguru

Reaction score
Are these both flanged? Maybe try mixing these with other hats before giving up on them.
yes, both flanged...and i did the cymbal set flip flop/pepsi challenge with my 14" 70's Thin Stamp 814g/1234g without my ears hearing a darn thing pleasing.
on their own, the flanged set is better with the heavier on top, but i felt i was having to crank on them a little too hard to make them do anything to my liking in a band situation.

SaranacJack

Reaction score
And here are some from Gerry (Hazelshould) with a sound file and his entertaining prose. Even a shout out to Captain Cook. :hello1:

On the grand scale of hi hat similarity those sound fairly similar to mine.
One more sound file - a quick shot on my phone from a few months back before I sold them here on DFO.

As Zenstat mentioned, in the 70s these returned for a bit. Mine were from that "re-release" era, coming in at a commanding 1,196g top and 1,434g bottom... HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY compared to yours, but they were a neat set to play when the situation called for it.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I've been fortunate to find a few hat pairs that included a flange hat. Two of mine have the bottom flange and one has both.

14" 50's SSA Flange bottom 650/770 grams
15" Trans Stamp Type IV 610/780 Both flange hats
16" 50's SSA Flange bottom 1084/1231 grams

ellaguru

Reaction score
pretty sure im about to sell these...any price suggestions out there? these are totally off my radar with respect to selling history. not looking to make a bunch of $$...

Latest posts