header.nohb.html

Zildjian flat rides

Reaction score
Hi there. I was hoping to get some thoughts on zildjian flat rides and their general value. I hear the 18" size is more rare....?

Thinking about picking one up used near Chicago. Thanks!

TPC

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a 90’s 22” K flat. Great cymbal. A bit of a one trick pony, but had a very, very pretty ping.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a hollow ink era 20” A. I love it. When I was looking both 18” and 22” seemed to command a bit of a premium over the 20”. Otherwise prices seemed pretty in line with other A rides of the era. I paid $100 plus shipping back in the summer

Last edited:

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
A. Zildjian flat was the first
K flat came later, you can see Steve Gadd use two of them in 1992 with Chick Corea.
A Custom 20"
K Custom (Dark) flat might be the closest to the original Paiste 602 flat. Roy Haynes' choice?
K Light flat became quite popular at some point, both Al Foster and Bill Stewart have started incorprating it in their setups.
K Constantinople, whole other ballgame, very broad, dark sounding for a flat.
ZHT

(edited for a more complete list)

Last edited:

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Don't overlook the ZHT flat!

In both alloy and construction (stamped sheet), it's the closest to the coveted paiste 602 of "now he sings now he sobs" fame. Roy Haynes himself uses a ZHT flat all the time. Despite coming from an intermediate line... well, that construction method is kind of perfect for flats!

zenstat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A. Zildjian flat was the first, quite heavy

They were available in different weight classes, probably the full range of weight classes. The idea that they were all heavy is based on overgeneralizing from an inadequate sample. For example the 20" diameter range from

20" 1875g Ex Thin

20-1875-bot.jpg

20-1875-ink.jpg

to a 20" 3094g Heavy wearing a "60s" stamp

20-3094-top.jpg

20-3094-stamp.jpg

The Flat (Top) rides came out in 1976. This model is one of several lines of evidence showing that the "60s stamp" was in factory use until 1976. That's both the short and tall version of the increasingly inaccurately named "60s stamp". The models which came out in the early 1970s tell the story, especially when they have a shape or other features which allow us to recognize them even when the model ink has gone.

I hear the 18" size is more rare....?

Might be an internet rumor, might not. Might be a seller talking the price up, might not. There is a general distribution for diameters (for all models and decades) and there might be a difference between the 18" Flat rides and other diameters of Flat rides. I can't pick a significant statistical difference in my data in terms of relative number of 18" vs 20", nor a price advantage for 18" Flat rides of the Zildjian persuasion. That's based on taking into account the general price distribution for all models and weights over different diameters. But beware overgeneralizing from anecdotal evidence once again. You need large representative samples to start picking up any real differences.

The story is a little different for Paiste Formula 602 rides in the 18" diameter and Thin weight compared to the Medium (which most are) and compared to the 20" diameter. But that's a bedtime story for another evening. Something to do with Roy Haynes who has been mentioned several times already.

Last edited:

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have this one (in a 20" format) that I purchased from @Jaimoe7 back in November 2021. It was everything that I was looking for, and it projected better than my Soultone flats in various sizes and models. My treasured 18" flat, though, is a Sabian Crystal Flat Ride; Ed Thigpen signature model. It is the perfect bridge between my Zildjian toi which I am linking and my favorite 19" Soultone Vintage Flat.

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Have an 18 flat, think it's a K Custom, 1 rivet (drilled for 2), as a LSR, recently moved it to the right of main, think Haynes/Cobb...wouldn't be without it for jazz, and good spot to stack an upside down splash if desired, simply separated with a felt.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
The idea that they were all heavy is based on overgeneralizing from an inadequate sample.
Reality is in 25 years one would find many A flats not one that says Ex.Thin.
Go ahead I'll start the clock and give 10 year start. So 15 years. Go.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
They were available in different weight classes, probably the full range of weight classes. The idea that they were all heavy is based on overgeneralizing from an inadequate sample. For example the 20" diameter range from

20" 1875g Ex Thin

View attachment 543536

View attachment 543537
Would love to hear this one! Maybe a custom order? I recall at least catalog that didn't list a thin/light flat ride. The flat was advertised along with the mini-bell ride as a tight "ping" sound with minimal wash. The few ones I got to try were all on the heavy side.

p83

DFO Master
Reaction score
20'' a custom flat shimmers like glass. if they made a 22 or 24 i would be even happier.

CC Cirillo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had an 18” A flat for a while. It didn’t fit the style of music I was playing, so I sold it to a jazz player.

It was medium weight with a nice stick reaction but for me too one dimensional. From the center to the edge just seemed to sound overly monochromatic with a slight disharmonious hum.

Paid $100 for it and sold it for about that. If it was rare and worth more, so be it. I tend to not be mercenary selling used gear.

I now have a 20” K flat that might be a Custom Dark or maybe something else. There are no markings left. A little crunchy peanut brittle in the ping and just a touch of wash if played at the edge. Something about that extra two inches on a flat. I think I paid $175 for it.

Cann_Man28

Reaction score
I’ve played a friend of mine’s 20 k light flat ride. It’s VERY nice

A local drummer used to use one at a jam session, I would get to play it when I sat in. VERY nice indeed. His had a great, fast crash and a nice wash in addition to the perfect woody stick.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Zildjian A flat 18's sound a bit thin to me.
There are some good flat 18's (Sabian crystal beat Ed Thigpen) and Paiste Sig 18.
The Weckl is a no brainer ,but at $550, not cheap.