Zildjian ideas...R&D. Let’s hear your ideas.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Who knows. Maybe someone is listening. I think we at Cymbalholic had Zildjian’s ear. So let’s start that here.

Let’s hear your ideas on new possible Zildjians. First off, I’m a big fan. I’ll start with mine below.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’d like to see Z make something very similar to this, possibly in 23”. Think it would go over well.

I envision like a big heavy K Con with a good sized bell. Some type of unlathed bottom to better control it. Not too dry though. I’ll even name it. K Con Heavy ride.

And please...nothing brilliant on either side

Last edited:

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Another thing. Something that mirrors 602 15” SE. Which means somewhat light on the bottom ripple cymbal. Here ya go...K Light Mastersounds. I’d buy it.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Another thing. Something that mirrors 602 15” SE. Which means somewhat light on the bottom ripple cymbal. Here ya go...K Light Mastersounds. I’d buy it.
I paired a 15" K Light Top with a 15" A Custom Mastersound Bottom for a while, it was a cool combination.

I'd love an A Sweet Ride with a bit of hammering to dry it out VERY slightly. Hell, I could probably get the sound I wanted just by using a little bit of tape, but that would bother the hell out of me.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I paired a 15" K Light Top with a 15" A Custom Mastersound Bottom for a while, it was a cool combination.

I'd love an A Sweet Ride with a bit of hammering to dry it out VERY slightly. Hell, I could probably get the sound I wanted just by using a little bit of tape, but that would bother the hell out of me.
And that would be close, but I want to see a thinner bottom than the AC Mastersound.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd like to see a return of the K Zmacs...maybe a hyrbid Zmac...and I'd like the Zmac name changed!

I'd also like to see a 15 (and larger) hats with bigger bells...not Mega big...but a playable easy to side stick target

I'd like them to take their frying pan idea and do something with zildjian's metal

that's all i have!

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I realize this is only a visual thing, but I’d love to see top and bottom ink stamps totally replaced with subtle 3” or so deep embossings right into the metal. I feel like it would exude a high-quality vibe.

felis

Reaction score
Don't know if it's possible, but I'd like a heavy ride for stick definition and ping, without the annoying 'ring',
while at the same time having a nice wash when playing towards the edge.

So, I guess it'd be heavy bell and bow, with a thinner edge.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Don't know if it's possible, but I'd like a heavy ride for stick definition and ping, without the annoying 'ring',

And I think that’s where JRs ride comes in. I think Z could make a big heavy tasty ride like that. I find that I’m generally in need of something pretty defined, but I still want character...a little “hello darkness my old friend,” if you know what I mean. We all have plenty of washy options.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would like to have Zildjian re-create whatever left and right cymbals Art Blakey played with the late 50 - early 60's Jazz Messangers. Specifically I want the same cymbals he played on Night In Tunisia.
Great sounds. I think that era is gone...hard to duplicate in a modern factory. Grab a couple of medium old Ks like Art did.

Last edited:

WaggoRecords

Reaction score
I’m fascinated by those AA Raw Rides Sabian discontinued... Something about the minimal amount of work done to a blank resulting in the totally unique sonic properties they have (to my ears, at least).

Make more weird stuff like that.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Try a moongel or half.

cplueard

Reaction score
A thicker 23" K and A sweet rides with thinning around the bell and edge like the Sabian Salsero ride. Give them just a bit more glassy ping.

kdgrissom

Reaction score
I would like to see a return to smaller ink stamps, as the laser etching tells me its a Zildjian and the ink stamp is just advertising. I would like a Kerope model without the phony patina coating which they advise shouldn't be left in the heat, sunlight nor ever cleaned.

Last edited:

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score

I literally just got a cymbal matching that description, and it is excellent, a dream to play. Unfortunately it’s an old pre-split Istanbul, so not something available off the shelf. But yes it’s totally possible, and I think if Z made one of their K Cons in this way, it would be a winner.

Latest posts