Zildjian ideas...R&D. Let’s hear your ideas.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’m sure there’s good ones out there. The sound I’m looking for is more Paiste Masters Extra Thin
Good cymbals. Paiste tends to be more consistent...I’ll admit. Lots of good Zs out there but they’re each a bit different, as I’m sure you know.

I actually have a few Paistes that I want to get myself. But the ones I want are more for contemporary playing instead of super dark jazzy.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good cymbals. Paiste tends to be more consistent...I’ll admit. Lots of good Zs out there but they’re each a bit different, as I’m sure you know.

I actually have a few Paistes that I want to get myself. But the ones I want are more for contemporary playing instead of super dark jazzy.
Ir's not about consistency. It's about response. Zildjians are too heavy in general. Show me a paper thin or extra thin Zildjian. Is there a paperthin K con 18 crash ? Extra thin K Dark Crash that matches the Sabian Evolutions ? paper thin 20 Zildjian crash in any line ? No... because the kids they are marketing them to will break them..

Damn.. where's Johnny D when you need him to divulge trade secrets ?

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think it’s all been done already. . Everything is already out there , finest cymbals they ever made have already been made. I’m still playing 30’s 40’s and 50’s for good reason lol

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ir's not about consistency. It's about response. Zildjians are too heavy in general. Show me a paper thin or extra thin Zildjian. Is there a paperthin K con 18 crash ? Extra thin K Dark Crash that matches the Sabian Evolutions ? paper thin 20 Zildjian crash in any line ? No... because the kids they are marketing them to will break them..

Damn.. where's Johnny D when you need him to divulge trade secrets ?
It’s all good. As with anyone, play what works best for you.

The Zildjian CIE line features paper thin crashes. No longer made, but they show up on the used market. K Sweet crashes are designated as paper thin, and of course, that’s a very recent offering. They have 20” crashes in that line.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
21 or 22;K Con Heavy ride , Re-release K Con splashes, and Id personally like the Staccato ridesbto hit the catalog and a larger Beautiful Baby ride maybe 20 or 21"

Rik_Everglade

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
21 or 22;K Con Heavy ride , Re-release K Con splashes, and Id personally like the Staccato ridesbto hit the catalog and a larger Beautiful Baby ride maybe 20 or 21"
I think that there were only three K con 12" splashes ever made...and I jumped at the one that I got, had to pay $180 for it, but I love it- And it's NOT a prototype!
The 15" Prototype K con hats that I've seen listed have aren't really K cons. I've been trying to find two 15" crashes to match up...but those are hard to come by. I'm using two 16" K con crashes as hats, which is nice, but now I need to find a third 16" K con because the one 16" is the best crash I've ever had, and I hate having it wasted as a hi hat. This K con stuff gets expensive!

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think that there were only three K con 12" splashes ever made...and I jumped at the one that I got, had to pay $180 for it, but I love it- And it's NOT a prototype!
The 15" Prototype K con hats that I've seen listed have aren't really K cons. I've been trying to find two 15" crashes to match up...but those are hard to come by. I'm using two 16" K con crashes as hats, which is nice, but now I need to find a third 16" K con because the one 16" is the best crash I've ever had, and I hate having it wasted as a hi hat. This K con stuff gets expensive!
Yes it does! I'm extremely blessed to own a few, but I've only bought 2 new ones, the others were used. It's taken years to put the set up together.

markkarj

Reaction score
Who knows. Maybe someone is listening. I think we at Cymbalholic had Zildjian’s ear. So let’s start that here.

Let’s hear your ideas on new possible Zildjians. First off, I’m a big fan. I’ll start with mine below.
When Paul Francis was in Toronto for a Zildjian day last year, I'd asked if they'd ever expand the Avedis Vintage series to include some paper thin crashes... like a 14 or a 16. Sadly, it didn't sound like it would ever be an option.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have the sense that there a few things Big Z could do that would be absolutely ADORED by, like, 50 people, and met with “meh” by everyone else. Those 50 people are probably better served by the Bettis’s, Yamamoto’s, Kruno’s, etc. of the world.
Perhaps so. But I buy vintage pierces for that reason. I’m also content with current stuff for different things. But I’d like to see a few K heavy types of rides.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Create a filter for all production cymbals to remove gong tone
I think that’s the one (main) trouble with Z. Even on the highest end of cymbals, you may find the underlying gong tone. That happened on a K Sweet. And another one was great. In truth, I think a lot of that disappears in the mix.

VinSparkle

Reaction score
I think that’s the one (main) trouble with Z. Even on the highest end of cymbals, you may find the underlying gong tone. That happened on a K Sweet. And another one was great. In truth, I think a lot of that disappears in the mix.
I agree that it disappears in the mix, but the problem for me is that it doesn’t disappear from my head ...and that would probably affect my playing

dustjacket

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Drop the weight of 24" K Lights by at least 400 grams. They should be big ol' wobbly things :)
The weights are so inconsistent on those. Still dig the cymbal, but a good degree aren't what I would call "light".

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Get a firmer handle on consistency. Your embrace of tech should have allowed this to some extent ... one would think.
It’s difficult to reason out how you can produce a 16 A Thin Crash at 996g and a 16 A Medium Thin at 951g ... both new Redesigned.
There doesn’t appear to be any sort of solid standards for this. And before we defend the other variables ... the Thin plays much heavier than the Medium Thin ... much heavier and stiffer.
As to the playability of cymbal to cymbal ... good grief!
There used to be a candy/toy product sold years ago. It was a dark container that held a plastic Disney toy and some candy. You had no clue what you were buying until you opened it up and discovered it yourself.
Zildjian has run with this concept for too many years.
If you’re going to push the tech ... then at least utilize the tech to this advantage.

Latest posts