Zildjian ideas...R&D. Let’s hear your ideas.

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If ones goes to the factory, do they have a showroom/sales floor where you can sort through a bunch of pies and buy which ones you like?

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Show me a paper thin or extra thin Zildjian....Is there a paper thin 20 Zildjian crash in any line ? No... because the kids they are marketing them to will break them..
Sure there are. At least A custom fast crashes, A paper thin crashes, K sweet crashes and these K cluster crashes are paper thin.

Here are my 17", 18" and 20" K cluster crashes. As you can see and hear, they are so responsive that they open up even with finger taps. I absolutely love these!

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sure there are. At least A custom fast crashes, A paper thin crashes, K sweet crashes and these K cluster crashes are paper thin.

Here are my 17", 18" and 20" K cluster crashes. As you can see and hear, they are so responsive that they open up even with finger taps. I absolutely love these!

That's actuall very cool.. I have yet to see anything but the Sweets in stores near me. I'll see the occasional A Custom fast. Never an A Paper Thin., maybe an 18 Cluster. Never a 20.

I suppose if I drove to Memphis drum shop or Portsmouth I could get a nice set of Zildjians. But everywhere else not so much..

Last edited:

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Easy one here, since I've beaten dead horses about this on the forum before:

Bring back the 22" K Crash Ride in traditional finish. Keep it to 2600-2800g range. Large bell. Or, just bring out a 22" K Sweet Ride.

The only real all-around 22" K ride in that weight range is the Custom Dark, and that cymbal tends to have a wet, more sparkly tone. I'm talking about a basic, versatile cymbal that leans dry and low-pitched but still has good body and response.

K Light isn't it. Every one I've played has tended to be so light that it has no real body. Too much airiness. Bells tend to be smallish.

There is also a serious china missing from the lineup and has been since...always? Real low, trashy and musical. Something not targeted toward the metal bashers but players who want to use a china for more musical situations. K Custom Dark Thin China, perhaps? K Con China? Kerope China?

Istanbul knows how to do chinas. So do several other companies. Why doesn't Zildjian?

Other ideas: K Dark Medium-Thin Ride 22". Larger bells on Constantinoples.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Make a cymbal as good as the Paiste Masters. They've been cranking out some beautiful hammered B20 cymbals

Neal Pert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Make a cymbal as good as the Paiste Masters. They've been cranking out some beautiful hammered B20 cymbals
As a person who likes the Masters, I'll ask: Why should Zildjian lower their standards? As far as I can see, Zildjian makes a better version of almost every cymbal in the Masters line, though I don't think they have anything quite like the 20" Masters Dark Ride.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As a person who likes the Masters, I'll ask: Why should Zildjian lower their standards? As far as I can see, Zildjian makes a better version of almost every cymbal in the Masters line, though I don't think they have anything quite like the 20" Masters Dark Ride.
The Masters, to me, fill that spot Zildjian missed after the Ringo boom. I love my older A’s but everything after a certain point has been a clangy mess.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think they started to break that tendency with the Keropes and redesigned A’s, and finally achieved success with the K Cons.

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...in my opinion Zildjian's last 15 years have been the best cymbal making ever by any company.
Not sure about ANY company, but I think the last 25 years has certainly been a golden age for Zildjian. Beginning with the K Custom Dark line, the redesign of the basic Ks and the introduction of the Constantinople line, I think Zildjian has gone on to put out some amazing cymbals. Lots of non-clangy choices out there, As to Ks. Probably the best era for Zildjian since the '30s-'50s.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Thanks for losting that. They sound great.

Gave me something to seriously think about.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for losting that. They sound great.

Gave me something to seriously think about.
No problem, my pleasure. And glad you liked them too.

By the way, I'd like to add that these crashes were not hand selected. I got an amazing good deal on these 3 that were just demoed, good as new, so I decided to buy these without hearing them beforehand. I'm usually super picky, and was bit worried about buying without testing. But I couldn't be happier with these!
Maybe the trashiness, that the cluster hammering adds, smoothes out the differences between different individual cymbals. I dunno...
Anyways, great pies!

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
I would like for them to bring back the A Custom Rezo models. Those were my favorite Zildjians that they made. It would be cool if they made something that's basically the A Custom Mastersound hats but with medium top/heavy bottom. I think they should offer more A's in brilliant finish (or at least have it available as a special order). And maybe bring back some of the Z Customs, I really liked those.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Quick beat 15s were cool too.
I would like for them to bring back the A Custom Rezo models. Those were my favorite Zildjians that they made. It would be cool if they made something that's basically the A Custom Mastersound hats but with medium top/heavy bottom. I think they should offer more A's in brilliant finish (or at least have it available as a special order). And maybe bring back some of the Z Customs, I really liked those.
The Rezo ride is a great cymbal. If I didn’t already have a K Heavy, I’d have one for the pingy stuff.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
20" K. Light Flat Ride in the 1740-1750g. weight range, for $159.99 new...….please? :angel12:

Latest posts