Zildjian ideas...R&D. Let’s hear your ideas.

eigentone

Reaction score
Greater variety in Constantinople hat and ride sizes. Specifically, 15" and 24" is what I'd like. I have seen a few Prototypes.

Neal Pert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sure there are. At least A custom fast crashes, A paper thin crashes, K sweet crashes and these K cluster crashes are paper thin.

Here are my 17", 18" and 20" K cluster crashes. As you can see and hear, they are so responsive that they open up even with finger taps. I absolutely love these!

20 is in the main slot here, right? "Middle" of the three, next to the tom?

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
Easy one here, since I've beaten dead horses about this on the forum before:

Bring back the 22" K Crash Ride in traditional finish. Keep it to 2600-2800g range. Large bell. Or, just bring out a 22" K Sweet Ride.

The only real all-around 22" K ride in that weight range is the Custom Dark, and that cymbal tends to have a wet, more sparkly tone. I'm talking about a basic, versatile cymbal that leans dry and low-pitched but still has good body and response.

K Light isn't it. Every one I've played has tended to be so light that it has no real body. Too much airiness. Bells tend to be smallish.

There is also a serious china missing from the lineup and has been since...always? Real low, trashy and musical. Something not targeted toward the metal bashers but players who want to use a china for more musical situations. K Custom Dark Thin China, perhaps? K Con China? Kerope China?

Istanbul knows how to do chinas. So do several other companies. Why doesn't Zildjian?

Other ideas: K Dark Medium-Thin Ride 22". Larger bells on Constantinoples.
There were 22” Kerope swish prototypes and I want one desperately

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There were 22” Kerope swish prototypes and I want one desperately
At the very least, I think they should add something in the K Custom Dark line.

A 21" K Custom Dark China would be very cool, especially if they kept it thin.

How about a 21" K Cluster Swish? Or Sweet Swish?

Seems like the cluster concept applied to a china would produce some very interesting results.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
There was a video of some recent prototypes, and some of this stuff that we’re suggesting is in there. Like a bunch of different K Cons. Let me find it...

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
hmm the Cluster top/ Sweet bottom hi hats..already have the tambourine in them ; )
The Extra Light K Con hats are mmm mmm

Last edited:

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Glad to see the Con swish. It’s something I mentioned to Francis 2-3 years ago within Cymbalholic. Even though I do like (and own) the A model.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those Overhammered Bounce Rides sound absolutely incredible. Having the cymbal build up too fast is the one issue I had with my old bounce ride.

Neal Pert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
eah? what was it last year do you remember? ;
Previous 10 years it was a Skiba-modified 22" Zildjian High Definition Ride. Been looking for its replacement ever since I sold it when I sold all my gear. This is it. K Con Medium and K Con 22" Bounce were close but never perfect. So, yes, I can tell you my favorite ride going back about 20 years. Before the Skiba, it was a 20" EAK Light Ride.

Reactions: JDA

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Z has already gone beyond my narrow scope of thinking. Nothing earth shattering here, bring back the Brilliant Finish to the A and K line. 22" / 24" A Ping & K Heavy Rides.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
As I think on it, what I’d really like to see from Z (or any big brand) is more opportunities to try out a broad selection in person, and cherry pick from multiples of any model. Like a vault tour that got constantly replenished by the factory while touring.

Say once a year in every major metro area around the country, they set up shop for a week. I guess mathematically there would have to be a few touring stations operating at the same time, in order to hit every big stop for a week each year.

Imagine how excited we would all be for our local cymbal week!

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
Z has already gone beyond my narrow scope of thinking. Nothing earth shattering here, bring back the Brilliant Finish to the A and K line. 22" / 24" A Ping & K Heavy Rides.
Same, would love some brilliant A's and K's.

It would be cool if they made the A Custom Projection Ride in a 22" and had some more 21" models.

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
But...in the 22 size...the A Custom medium and ping is probably “close enough for jazz.” ;)
Ping is too clangy. Back when I was playing A Customs extensively I used both A and A Custom ping rides a lot but it was too clangy and I preferred the Projection ride, but that was only available in 20".

Latest posts