Zildjian K Billy Drummond prototype

slcdrummer

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
This is a long shot to be sure but I’m here in search of a Zildjian 22” Billy Drummond prototype ride. I think there was just a small batch of them at Steve Maxwell K day in 2015. It looks like a Kerope with a smaller bell. If anyone has one I would love to buy it or make a trade!

I just missed out on one on reverb and decided to go on the hunt!

Also, this is my first post but I have enjoyed reading and getting info from the forum for some time. Thank you all!

slcdrummer

Reaction score
woW...
that looks like a big bell meaning low wide and flat like some old stamp k

and the facebook Francis referenced in the ad review
That Joe Strasser ride isn’t bad either!
Kicking myself for making an offer when I should have bought on that one on Reverb especially because there’s probably only a handful of them out there. I really like Keropes but have wondered how they would sound with a different bell.

Reactions: JDA

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s almost like the old days. Zikdjian is custom making cymbals for guys. In the old days they’d go thru 50 to find their sound in th e Gretsch factory . Now it’s built in I can think of 5-6-8 guys who have custom K Cons.

slcdrummer

Reaction score
It’s almost like the old days. Zikdjian is custom making cymbals for guys. In the old days they’d go thru 50 to find their sound in th e Gretsch factory . Now it’s built in I can think of 5-6-8 guys who have custom K Cons.
Hey Jaymandude, I agree and I think it’s neat! I love Zildjian cymbals for their sound and projection but I have heard the argument that they can sound too uniform compared to handmade cymbals which I think is a valid point. These artist prototypes keep things interesting to me and adds a bit of mystique to some of the cymbals played by my favorite Zildjian players.

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Jaymandude, I agree and I think it’s neat! I love Zildjian cymbals for their sound and projection but I have heard the argument that they can sound too uniform compared to handmade cymbals which I think is a valid point. These artist prototypes keep things interesting to me and adds a bit of mystique to some of the cymbals played by my favorite Zildjian players.
Let's see
1) Bounce is K Wash
2) Renn is Adam Nussbaum
3) Dry Complex is Bill Stewart
4) Overhammered Bounce is Steve Wolf ( killer pop guy who uses them as crashes)
5) Prototype Bill Drummond
6) Session series is Gadd

Who am I missing ?

slcdrummer

Reaction score
Let's see
1) Bounce is K Wash
2) Renn is Adam Nussbaum
3) Dry Complex is Bill Stewart
4) Overhammered Bounce is Steve Wolf ( killer pop guy who uses them as crashes)
5) Prototype Bill Drummond
6) Session series is Gadd

Who am I missing ?
There’s the Left side Ride by Peter Erskine,
—Cindy Blackman K Dark Medium 22”
—Terri Lyn Carrington K Custom High Definition
—Mark Colenburg was involved in the K Custom Special Dry redesign
—Stanton Moore has some Kerope prototypes

I think also Elvin Jones was involved in designing the original K Con rides? Have to double check that. And I know I’m missing more too!

but it does go back to the tradition of Zildjian taking direction from drummers that goes back to the big band and jazz drummers of the 20’s-40’s advising them to make bigger, thinner cymbals!