Zildjian K Con Rides as crashes

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been looking for a good dark crash to go on my kit for a while other than my crash of doom which just sadly doesn't cut through for our music.

We opened for Building 429 this week and I noticed their drummer had either 20 or 22 " K Constantinople rides as his crashes. They sounded absolutely incredible.

I didn't get a chance to talk to him to ask what his setup was, but I'm seriously considering one for my kit.

I've fallen in love (online anyways) with the 20" Renaissance Ride. It sounds like the perfect main crash I've bend looking for. The 22" I see is popular as a crash as well but may be a bit much.

What Cons do you guys use primarily as crashes, if any? Thanks!

dustjacket

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bounce, Renaissance and Overhammered all make great crashes.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Renaissance and Bounce 20s both sound incredible. I'm having a little hard time distinguishing between the 2. The bounce seems to be a bit trashier?

The Renaissance seems to have a much smaller bell. My COD has a small bell as well. I'm assuming the Renaissance isn't as flat, and would project more?

This is going to be a tough decision but I think I've settled on one of these 2. Both definitely have the crash sound I've been looking for, I just never thought of the Constantinople range.

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
There’s HUGE variation from cymbal within just one model of the k con line. You can find a ren that’s louder and trashier than a bounce, and vice versa. When picking out one of these you really have to be talking about a specific cymbal, not just the model. Some 22” rens I’ve seen run almost 2700g, probably too thick for a main crash. Others are less than 2400.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Every one of my K Con rides is also a "crash" and all have good bells. I really like the med thin lows and I have a 20 and 22 that are dark and thunderous. The lights are very nice, too, although this is misleading as some lights are just not that light.

I had a 20 Ren but didn't care for it (looking for a 22). I'd shy away from the med thin highs - great rides, but the crash pitch is....high! Bounce is okay, but I prefer my thin overhammered. It works as a crash but the woody stick blows away the crash properties.

Foxy is right - I've played good ones and crappy ones......forget the name - you need to find a place with a bunch on display and then go for it. Overall, one of my fave cymbal lines......

shnootre

Reaction score
My 22” Renaissance is 2546g - works great as a crash, has so much variety of tone available and a really strong and distinct bell. It is my main ride, but I def love to whack it good from time to time.

TheMattJones88

Reaction score
I used a 22" Bounce Ride as a crash and light ride for a couple of years, it sounded awesome. That's a cymbal I really miss...

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Found a 20" Medium thin low ride for a great price this morning. Ended up getting it. I think this is going to be the one I end up with.

I've also got a new 22" crash of doom coming mostly because I wanted to try it out in person and no one around me has them. I figure it will be returned, but I had to try.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tried the crash of doom out at forks today. Based on the 2 they had I'm thinking the KCon I got is definitely gonna be the keeper of the 2.

Not cymbal related but my wife and I both fell in love with a Ludwig classic maple kit they had. Man that thing was amazing!

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Got both cymbals in. The KCon easily won. Surprisingly, other than the bell, I don't like the 22 COD at all. Very surprising since I love the 20.

Now while at forks.... I may have found something better than all of them, and that was the Dream bliss and vintage bliss cymbals. I've got a 22" paper thin ill never part with, but man I've almost thought of ditching my Zildjian crashes for a 19 and 20 of the Dreams. Those things sounded soooooo good. My 22 is the absolute perfect crash. Hmmmmm

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Also gotta decide if I want to sell the A medium thin 20 or my 20" crash of doom, or both to pay for this kcon. Thinking I may keep my 20 cod for now just because it's so drastically different and works well for small size gigs.

Topsy Turvy

Reaction score
What kind of music are you playing that the 20" Crash of Doom isn't loud enough? I used to have a 20" Kerope that I used as a crash. I loved it, but it just felt too gongy to me. It's hard to find a big crash that is dark but can still cut through.

I'm surprised the Dreams will work for you. All of the Dreams I have heard have been fairly quiet, which doesn't seem to fit with your needs.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
What kind of music are you playing that the 20" Crash of Doom isn't loud enough? I used to have a 20" Kerope that I used as a crash. I loved it, but it just felt too gongy to me. It's hard to find a big crash that is dark but can still cut through.

I'm surprised the Dreams will work for you. All of the Dreams I have heard have been fairly quiet, which doesn't seem to fit with your needs.
Mostly with my band, it's Christian/positive rock.

Listening back to most any of our big stage gigs, you can hear all of my cymbals well except for when I hit the cod while having it as my main.

It's almost like I forgot to hit a cymbal when listening back. Quieter songs it can be heard, but anything with louder volumes, it's just almost non existent.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

My experience as well with both the Keropes and now the Avedis. The K Cons don't work for me either. I'd like the edges to be thinner. I'm using some big thin Paiste 602's now which are heavier than I like but smoother. Anyway...

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sometimes it’s good to have a few different crashes (and rides) on hand. Back when I was playing big church stuff with a full orchestra, the K Con MTLs (as a ride and as a crash) would get lost. I had an A Custom 20” crash that came through well. But some of the darker thin cymbals didn’t work there. Some of the medium weight Ks worked good too.

In the smaller praise and worship band that I was involved in (basically rhythm section and two singers), the Cons and Keropes worked out fine...at least I think so.

Generally, it seems that many drummers want to focus on the sound they’re hearing of the cymbal on its own. But it all can change once the band starts up!

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I sold the A I had. My k sweet 20 comes through very well. Gonna try the kcon mtl and see how it works at our next big gig coming up.

I also kept the 20 cod just because I love it and it works well for small stage gigs. The 22 was just too much for me, although awesome.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Had a huge gig this weekend and finally got to use the 20" KCon MTL as my main crash.

It is the cymbal I was looking for in this slot for this kit. Absolutely perfect and compliments my 20" K Sweet and 22" Dream Bliss Paper Thin perfectly! A keeper of a cymbal for sure.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Glad you guys could find the K Cons that crash well. I tried the MTL, MTH, REN, and MED rides all in 20" (bought online unheard) and immediately sold them all. The ones I had crashed like what I imagine a 20" unlathed rock ride would. Very muted, restricted sounding. Not inviting to crashes or even shoulder crashes. The Paiste Masters ended up being exactly what I was looking for. Maybe I am just not a Zil guy anymore, even though I grew up on them.

Latest posts