Zildjian K constantinople 18" crash Anyone got one, a wanna have a chat about it??

Reaction score
Hi people,

I want to know if anyone out there owning a Zildjian K Constantinople 18" crash would like to have a chat about its more 'Broad' characteristics. I understand they are highly individualised instruments and unique (from experience) I own a 22" Medium thin low, that I purchased without being able to hear it first. Ive listened to loads of sound-bytes and youtube vids, but i'm keen to know from personal experience, what you like or don't like about the K con 18" crash

Cheers :alien:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I don't have a K Con 18 but have had 20s and hats. I'm sure others will chime in with their info. Good luck on your research!

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all, welcome to DFO!

I have a good size flock of Constantinoples including two 18" crashes.

I'll explain how and why, and give my opinion of them.

I started putting together my K Constantinople setup around 2009. I picked up a 20" medium high ride, a set of 14" hi-hats, an 18" crash and a 16" crash. I liked them a lot, the 18" crash in particular was something special. That 16" is a good crash, but not the perfect mate with that particular 18". (I have a great set of long discontinued 13" K Constantinople hats as well, but they are a story for another time.)

My buddy Gene (Known as Genr here at DFO) on Long Island has a has a similar collection of K Constantinoples. He has played my cymbals and his opinion of my 18" and 16" pretty much mirrored mine.

Eventually I stumbled upon another 16" Constantinople that was a great match with my 18". When I setup I'd put that 16" and 18" together and set up my other 16" on the opposite side of the kit. it worked well for my purposes.

Gene had an 18" K Constantinople that he wasn't crazy about. It was a really good crash, but it wasn't really "ride-able", which is what he was looking for. He started looking for a 19" K Constantinople crash/ride to replace the 18" in his setup.

I came across a great 19" K Constantinople crash/ride and picked it up. I had a feeling that it would be a perfect fit for Gene, and it was. The next time that we met up I traded the 19" for his 18" which ended up being the perfect match for my original 16". I found a discontinued 15" K Constantinople crash and added it to my arsenal.

These days I setup with the 16"/18" pairs on each side the 15" in the middle, used more as a splash. Each of the five crashes have a unique voice. We use plenty of microphones, I've been able to use this setup in a rock setup. I'm not a heavy hitter, I let the mics and PA do the work.

1619543083916.png

That is the long story. The short version is that I love K Constantinoples, but I've found that they vary a good bit. None of them are "bad", but some fit particularly well together, and some not as much.

I'm thinking that Gene (Genr) might check in later and add his two cents.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just bought me one this past Sunday along with 2 other cymbals. I played it for maybe 2 songs at BP later the same day and put the 18" K-Custom Fast Crash back on the stand after those two songs. In the group setting playing the blues with no mics on the drums, it didn't cut thru mix. But, while noodling with it along with a 22" K-Con Med Thin High in between songs, I could just tell that it is a exactly what I wanted in crash for a jazz setting. I am glad it bought it. The K-Con ride is also not a good cymbal for what were doing, as much as I wanted it too. I removed it and put on my '60s stamp 22" Avedis. It is the best ride IMHO for blues.

The other 2 cymbals I bought that day were 14" K-Con high hats (OUCH on my wallet) and a 20" K Sweet Crash.

Those K Con hats are the business. I will now have a set of 13.25" K Hybrid HH's going up for sale. I'll probably never play them again.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, I remember well the first time I came upon an 18 inch K Constantinople in the wild.

I was playing a multi band show at a club with a large, high-raftered room and excellent sound system.

The drummer for the band that opened for us had a whole set of K Cons—a ride and two crashes. The ride totally washed out, but to his left sat an 18 inch crash.

It sounded glorious miked up and relayed through those titan speakers. Full, with a little pre-detonation sizzle. The bomb’s shrapnel—honey drops followed by a short trashy finish with its edges all wobbly.

No idea how it sounded from the driver’s seat but I heard all of it from backstage, out front, and alongside the kit and can say it was a fine crash indeed.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you shop online, check the weights. With KCon you would think jazz -->thin cymbals. I haven't played many crashes, but the hats and crash/rides weren't as thin as I thought. It might have to do with those ginat hammermarks; maybe they don't use the thinnest blanks they could come up with for integrity reasons. A crash from other series might actually be thinner and open up more easily.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 19” crash rides run a bit heavier than the other cymbals. I have a full set 15” to 19” crashes, hats and a ride. The 18” is my favorite. It’s thin, trashy and much brighter then you would think. I have owned two of the 18” crashes and they were near identical.
B69CB6C7-E175-4086-8B3B-3461D0B2AAF2.jpeg

Reaction score
First of all, welcome to DFO!

I have a good size flock of Constantinoples including two 18" crashes.

I'll explain how and why, and give my opinion of them.

I started putting together my K Constantinople setup around 2009. I picked up a 20" medium high ride, a set of 14" hi-hats, an 18" crash and a 16" crash. I liked them a lot, the 18" crash in particular was something special. That 16" is a good crash, but not the perfect mate with that particular 18". (I have a great set of long discontinued 13" K Constantinople hats as well, but they are a story for another time.)

My buddy Gene (Known as Genr here at DFO) on Long Island has a has a similar collection of K Constantinoples. He has played my cymbals and his opinion of my 18" and 16" pretty much mirrored mine.

Eventually I stumbled upon another 16" Constantinople that was a great match with my 18". When I setup I'd put that 16" and 18" together and set up my other 16" on the opposite side of the kit. it worked well for my purposes.

Gene had an 18" K Constantinople that he wasn't crazy about. It was a really good crash, but it wasn't really "ride-able", which is what he was looking for. He started looking for a 19" K Constantinople crash/ride to replace the 18" in his setup.

I came across a great 19" K Constantinople crash/ride and picked it up. I had a feeling that it would be a perfect fit for Gene, and it was. The next time that we met up I traded the 19" for his 18" which ended up being the perfect match for my original 16". I found a discontinued 15" K Constantinople crash and added it to my arsenal.

These days I setup with the 16"/18" pairs on each side the 15" in the middle, used more as a splash. Each of the five crashes have a unique voice. We use plenty of microphones, I've been able to use this setup in a rock setup. I'm not a heavy hitter, I let the mics and PA do the work.

View attachment 497165

That is the long story. The short version is that I love K Constantinoples, but I've found that they vary a good bit. None of them are "bad", but some fit particularly well together, and some not as much.

I'm thinking that Gene (Genr) might check in later and add his two cents.
That's awesome you found your matches! Cool set-up by the way. And also dig the green cables!!
I think the 18" is the size for me, already having the 22" med thin low. Ive checked out the 19" but the 18" seems to have the right pitch and bite (understanding they can vary) for my second cymbal. Im finding the K Sweet 15" hats work well with the med thin low too.

Thanks for your reply,
Much appreciated :B

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I owned new an 18" K Constantinople crash.
I broke it.

one evening on stage I was trying to get something out of it I wanted.
I bounced it -somewhat in anger- it went against the cymbal stand stem in a reverse back flip swing- and It cracked along it's lathe lines ..in a remote mid-cymbal bow area.

got replaced under warranty with a Special Selection (my choice) a very heavy band 18" K Constantinople.
within months sold that.

i really have no opinion of them since.....that was a long time ago.
when they first came out late 90s pre internet for me.
I had bought new 22 Light, 20 Light, then 21 Big Band, 14" Hats and the 18 episode (counts as 2)
all acquired new in-person in-store

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ah, I remember well the first time I came upon an 18 inch K Constantinople in the wild.

I was playing a multi band show at a club with a large, high-raftered room and excellent sound system.

The drummer for the band that opened for us had a whole set of K Cons—a ride and two crashes. The ride totally washed out, but to his left sat an 18 inch crash.

It sounded glorious miked up and relayed through those titan speakers. Full, with a little pre-detonation sizzle. The bomb’s shrapnel—honey drops followed by a short trashy finish with its edges all wobbly.

No idea how it sounded from the driver’s seat but I heard all of it from backstage, out front, and alongside the kit and can say it was a fine crash indeed.
Unreal CC Thanks for that! :thumbright:

Reaction score
I just bought me one this past Sunday along with 2 other cymbals. I played it for maybe 2 songs at BP later the same day and put the 18" K-Custom Fast Crash back on the stand after those two songs. In the group setting playing the blues with no mics on the drums, it didn't cut thru mix. But, while noodling with it along with a 22" K-Con Med Thin High in between songs, I could just tell that it is a exactly what I wanted in crash for a jazz setting. I am glad it bought it. The K-Con ride is also not a good cymbal for what were doing, as much as I wanted it too. I removed it and put on my '60s stamp 22" Avedis. It is the best ride IMHO for blues.

The other 2 cymbals I bought that day were 14" K-Con high hats (OUCH on my wallet) and a 20" K Sweet Crash.

Those K Con hats are the business. I will now have a set of 13.25" K Hybrid HH's going up for sale. I'll probably never play them again.
Awesome Johnny K,
Thanks for sharing. Ill have to check out that '60's' stamp 22" Avedis'

Reaction score

Yeah ouch indeed with the K con line. How's the 20" sweet crash? That's big hey..
I love my K sweet 15" hats.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Awesome Johnny K,
Thanks for sharing. Ill have to check out that '60's' stamp 22" Avedis'
The Avedis rides are really good and really cheap. I paid about 170 bucks for mine 2 years ago. Now that I moved the 20" Sweet Crash the the left side, I like it even more. The hats in the picture are 14" '60s stamp Aveids as well. Also pretty darn good and cheapish. I paid $225 for the pair about 3 years ago.

IMG_5409.jpeg

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had two, sold both. They were not that outstanding to me. Didn't ride well and sounded like 18" K custom dark crashes I sold to get them. These days I only play 20 or 22 K Cons......

Reaction score
Had two, sold both. They were not that outstanding to me. Didn't ride well and sounded like 18" K custom dark crashes I sold to get them. These days I only play 20 or 22 K Cons......
Thanks for your reply,
I was actually looking at K custom dark crashes in comparison. You say they were pretty comparable? What did you end up going with after the k con 18”s?

Jonnymac

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply,
I was actually looking at K custom dark crashes in comparison. You say they were pretty comparable? What did you end up going with after the k con 18”s?
I’m also interested to hear what 18 in cymbals people are using. I have a K dark thin, and it’s OK, but wondering if there’s any better general purpose 18 crash out there

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply,
Pretty much away from 18" to only 20 or 22. The majority of my cymbals are 20 or 22. I did pick up an 18" Dream vintage Bliss crash ride that is actually part of my gigging setup with a 19 crash and 20 ride. Incredible dark crash and I can crash ride it too. Cheap and surprisingly good. But lower end, I know.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
I just acquired a used 18" K Con crash. Weights will vary and change the sound and feel, but the one I got is 1307g, and it's one of the most bendy and flexible cymbals I have. It's designated crash for a reason, and I wouldn't attempt riding it (but the bell plays nicely and projects well). As a dedicated crash it's soft and buttery to play with great give under the stick, and provides a very warm and balanced sound lacking in any harshness or overly bright overtones. It doesn't have any stiffness or gong like qualities, and doesn't feel brittle. It responds beautifully to light playing and glancing blows, as well as big crashes and really laying into it. It feels gooshy.

I haven't tried to pair it with anything other than K Cons at the moment, but it does seem like it could play nicely with plenty of other cymbals as a great all-around crash (if you're not looking for maximum cut and volume). These things are somewhat subjective of course, but I've been very pleased with mine and remembered spotting this thread a while back. Hope my input helps, for what it's worth.