Zildjian K Constantinople Players Here?

Neal Pert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This thread is for those of us who play and love K Cons. What have you got?

Mine:

22" Medium Ride (2017) 2726g
22" Overhammered Bounce Ride (2019) 2422g
19" Crash/Ride (2016) 1568g
16" Crash (2016) 1050g
14" Hi Hats (2015) 906g/1222g

Hoping to add an 18 or 19" crash and a 20" MTL, but both can wait.

Attachments

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
20" Medium
21" Big Band
19" Crash/Ride

Last edited:

curly

Reaction score
Just recently got around to acquiring a couple. The price tag can be a bit high but if you wait and search, deals to come up. I'm seriously thinking about picking up a crash to go along with these. The proto crashes from the video in R&D thread sound awesome.

20 High Bell Thin Ride ~1750 grams
22 SLP Multi Purpose ~2500 grams

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Constantinoples that I've had:
20" (from the 90's before all the different labels)
22" light
22" medium

These were all really nice ones but I ended up selling them onwards, since I was using my Keropes more and one of my former students kept bugging me to sell them to him. :laughing6:

Constantinoples I still have:
22" Renaissance, just amazing, nasty and beautiful at the same time.
22" Flat, this thing is not for all occasions, but when you need a quiet and pretty with bit or shimmer, this one delivers. Had been a lifesaver on some dinner gigs.

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love my K Constantinoples.

- 20" Medium thin low ride

- 13" Hi hats (Discontinued long ago.)

- 14" Hi hats

- 18" Crash (First generation)

- 18" Crash (Current generation)

- 16" Crash (First generation)

- 16" Crash (Current generation)

- 15" Crash (Also long discontinued.)

On my wish list is...

- 22" Medium thin low ride

- 19" Crash/Ride (I had one and traded it for one of my 18" crashes.)

- 17" Crash

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
22" Prototype Big Band
14" thinnish hats
20" light ride, which is more of a crash. The envy of every drummer who hears it.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
My 20" mtl is my main crash on my small kit. Absolutely beautiful cymbal

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I wasn’t really paying attention to the K Cons until I heard a particular one demoed in a FS thread here, and it sounded just perfect. By the time I decided to buy, the next day, it was already gone. The funny thing is it was one if the ones with the mechanical looking spiral pattern in the hammering, which I had sneered at those before because they looked machine made instead of “real” random hammering. But this one sounded so good! Now I’m on the hunt.

Tracktuary

Reaction score
I'm a former K Con guy. I gigged a 22" MTL for 5+ years. The bell was nice, the edges were great for crashes, but the timbre of mine just wasn't my favorite. Sold it.

The next up was a 22" K Con Bounce. It had all of that craziness many desire, but it was just too much. It dominated the sound. Sold it.

Finally, I finally scored a 22" K Con Light from 1999--what I thought was my dream cymbal as I love Willie Jones III's playing and sound. The wash was just way too low. I tried for a while to get used to it, but it just wasn't right. Sold it.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Had:
14" Hi Hats. Never got on with them, too trashy and undefined
20" Medium. Lovely cymbal, but, for lack of a better word, too "pretty". Got bored with it after a while and sold it.
22" Bounce. Now that was a great cymbal but, like Tracktuary said, too much of a good thing.

Still have:
20" Medium Thin Low. Combines the complex character of the Bounce with the prettyness of the Medium. Almost perfect.

"Almost" because the real winners for me are Paiste Masters. I have a 22" Dark Ride and two 20" Mellow Rides. Heaven.

Rik_Everglade

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love these K cons:
12" Splash...rare and not a prototype
13" Hihats
2 x 16" Crash, sometimes used as hihats
18" Crash
19" Crash/Ride
20" Flat ride
20" Renaissance
22" Thin Overhammered
17" Bought as crash, but turned out to be 1/2 of an orchestral pair, sounded awful so I holed it out to make an Ozone crash, but it sounds like hell.
Another that I cannot remember right now.

OZjazzer

Reaction score
I have just one, the 19” Crash/Ride. I love it then hate it but there’s something about it that makes me keep playing it.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In the past I had a 22" MTL ride and a 22" Bounce ride, but I sold both of them. It's not that I didn't like them, I loved them actually, I just felt bad playing rock gigs with these super nice complex cymbals. I'm just playing redesigned A's now, which do the trick for me.

Drewman

Reaction score
Oh yes...
20" MTL Ride and an 18" crash. Fantastic for jazz with my 16" K Custom Dry hats and maybe the 16" K Dark Crash.
For louder and maybe more aggressive music, I like to mix them in with my 18" K Custom Dry crash and the 16" K EFX.
I'll use the 20" K Con primarily as a crash and an occasional left side ride when I play the 21" K custom hybrid ride. Pitches and timbres work really well together for a variety of stuff while keeping to my sound.

Attachments

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
20 and 22 MTLs here. Nice examples that really work well as a set.

Had a 20 Medium (first run) for years. Around 2200g. It was my first real Turkish-inspired cymbal of any kind. It was a nice one but it started to feel kinda stiff and a little too high-pitched for me at some point compared to what I wanted out of that kind of cymbal, so I moved it on.

The MTLs are really lovely cymbals, though. Refined but can be aggressive. A lot of classic '50s-'60s jazz recordings feature cymbal sounds (including K sounds) that, although dark, are a little brighter and more lively on top than we might think. The Cons seem to capture that vibe well. Kerope, by contrast, seems better at the softer, more subdued K vibe.

eigentone

Reaction score
13 Hats
14 Hats
15 Hats (proto)
16 Crash
17 Crash (incoming)
18 Crash
19 Crash/Ride
20 Bounce (incoming)
22 Medium
22 Medium Thin Low

I am considering adding a 20 and 17 in the not too distant future.

Yeah, I like them. IMO they're not a great choice if you want/need a lot of volume or if you are a heavy hitter. I found they have a lot of tones/textures within them, compared to other cymbals. Playing techniques and styles really help bring those out. So they are quite versatile.

Within the K family, I think Cons are very well-balanced cymbals. Ks are bit plain, Keropes are a bit dark, Custom Darks are a bit trashy. But the Cons sit well for me.

Last edited:

Latest posts