Zildjian K Constantinople Players Here?

gbow

Reaction score
Anyone compare the K cons to the new K Custom Special Dry line?

I've not played a K Cons, the style of music I play generally is better served with louder, less dry cymbals. However, I' have a set of K Custom Special Dry's for the occasional session job that needs a dry set and I find I'm using them more and more.

Maybe I also need a few K Cons....

gabo

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Anyone compare the K cons to the new K Custom Special Dry line?

I've not played a K Cons, the style of music I play generally is better served with louder, less dry cymbals. However, I' have a set of K Custom Special Dry's for the occasional session job that needs a dry set and I find I'm using them more and more.

Maybe I also need a few K Cons....

gabo
I haven’t played the dry series (well, one older version ride in the store). Cons are washier in general. A different thing. I never felt like I needed the hi hats. Some of the rides are nice, but can get lost if the music gets loud.

I prefer to mix and match things, and never play a full set of anything. I mean, I’ll often keep all Zildjians (few exceptions), but will vary up the lines accordingly.

I don’t do dry. Don’t feel like it’s appropriate for my music. I tend to stick with old A, old K, and for modern...K Cons and standard K series mostly. Of course, New Beats as well. I can cover anything I’d ever come across.

Last edited:

Neal Pert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can't get with the Dry cymbals for some reason. I think maybe I need to hear them close mic'ed in small venues or maybe on records-- the places I've heard them live, they didn't cut through or sustain enough for me.

I have two sets of cymbals-- the K Cons, which I use in some combo for just about everything, and a redesigned A set that's a 23" Sweet, 20" and 18" Thin Crashes, and 15" New Beats. When everything's loud, the As get the nod.

gbow

Reaction score
I can't get with the Dry cymbals for some reason.......

When everything's loud, the As get the nod.....
Yea, I'm totally in this camp too. I've played A's with a few K's mixed in for about 40 years.

However, in the studio, I had some times when someone wanted something not as loud. Mostly slower folk music. So I purchased a set of the K custom special dry cymbals.

They work ok in that setting, I still generally prefer the A's or K's, and do most of my work with them, including for my own band. But if a client is looking for quiet, dull, and trashy, then I bring out that set. I just purchased the pack, as I don't use them often enough to shop and swap around and the pack was a better deal.

From listening to samples, it seems like the K Cons sit sort of in between. A bit brighter than the K Cus Spec Dry and maybe a bit louder and with a bit more wash. But not as loud or bright as A's or standard Ks, and possibly a bit darker than standard K darks.

Would that be a fair assessment?

gabo

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's great hearing all these opinions and observations about the K Cons. So, I have used nothing but hand hammered Turkish-made cymbals for quite awhile. When I decided to get Zildjians, I picked up some K Cons. Interestingly to me, these are brighter and louder than pretty much anything I have used in the last 5-6 years so it's funny to hear everyone say they have no volume and are dry and/or darker. They also have a lot more wash and sustain. At any rate, I am liking them a lot and find that they mix with just about anything else I have pretty well. My only complaint is that I got a Big Band ride and wish it was a bit more "crashier"....although the tone and bell on it are great. I think it's still ringing from when I hit it yesterday.

I am, however, on the hunt for a set of hats that will sit nicely with them so if anyone has suggestions...

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
those with excess cash look into the new extra-thin Con K hi hats:

where is the amsterdam video someone (ADG!) just posted
here it is

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, please! Current off the top of my head:

20 Light (amazing!)
22 Light (2" more of amazing!) - Holy grail cymbal!
22 Thin overhammered (nice! I added one rivet and super nice now)
22 MTH (okay - but I miss my 20 MTH with 1 rivet) - For sale.
20 Flat ride (fabulous!)
14" hats (my 3rd pair - I still don't like them!) - good for rock/blues/pop, but not crisp enough for jazz. - For sale...
20 Medium (yes!) - I traded my 20 MTH for it.

I've had and sold:
14" hats (2 prior pairs)
22" medium - sold
22" flat ride - STUPIDLY SOLD!!!
22" Bounce - sold....
20" Ren - bought and returned at G.C. - I really want a 22" and I'm still looking.....
18" crashes - owned 2, sold both - they didn't cut thru for me.
20" Prototype - traded in as part of a trade.

shnootre

Reaction score
Today I was in the drum shop where I bought my 22” Renny a few months ago. They finally had gotten another one in stock - I gave it a few hits. Wow. A much less lively cymbal than the one I bought. It felt... I don’t know, constricted. I love mine, but if this was the one they had when I went shopping, I don’t think I would have bit.

Reaction score
hmm let's see:

14" hats
19" C/R
20" Thin Crash SLP
20" Light Ride
21" Big Band
22" Light Ride
22" Renaissance
22" Bounce
22" Thin Overhammered

Have had and sold a bunch of others, such as 13" hats, several Hi Bell Rides and a coupla Med Thin Lows. My faves now are the 20" Light, the 20" Thin Crash, the Bounce and the Overhammered.

Last edited:

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got a 22" Med ride. I've had it for about 14 years, maybe longer. Its one drum piece I will NOT sell, I love it, its like butter, just a joy to play.

My favorite thing about it, its birthmark. I day I got it, I had a gig at a ski resort. Just before playing the first tune, the bass player handed me a shot of Jager, some of it spilled onto the Con...I was freaking out haha, I hadn't even had a chance to play it yet. I left it, as we had to start...but, by the end of the first set I decided to leave the stain there, and its been there every since. Its become a part of the cymbal. Its how I know its MINE. Love it

IMG_2787.JPG

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My last post got me thinking. Do any of you clean yours? I've never cleaned mine, and never will, just my style...but I'm curious what others do.

Neal Pert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My last post got me thinking. Do any of you clean yours? I've never cleaned mine, and never will, just my style...but I'm curious what others do.
Nah. The guy who owned my last set before me took all the logos and polish off and let them develop a patina, and I think I'll do that once I'm absolutely set with these cymbals. I think I'm close.

shnootre

Reaction score
Nah. The guy who owned my last set before me took all the logos and polish off and let them develop a patina, and I think I'll do that once I'm absolutely set with these cymbals. I think I'm close.
I've only had mine for about 5 months. But the way it sits is with the logo darn near 6 o'clock, and it's basically all gone already. (Never have or would clean it)

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
No, I don't clean mine. I also forgot a have another early edition 20" light, too.
And I had and sold another 20" which was an orchestral cymbal wrongly ID-ed as a ride......

But yes, some are good and some aren't - you just gotta play them, as like with any cymbal......

eigentone

Reaction score
Well, some people really like the sound of a little or a lot of dirt and patina. So you have got to decide what sound you are after.

Personally, I give them a quick wipe with a clean, dry cloth and I put them in a cymbal case when I am done playing them. It's basically a dusting. And I handle them by the edges. They will dull and age, but it takes years.

I've owned a few cymbals with traditional finish and I really don't want to clean them with ketchup, lemons, or eggplant. So if you want to keep them sounding and looking brilliant, the best thing to do IMO is just don't let them get dirty in the first place.

JazzDoc

Reaction score
22" Medium Thin Low - Chad used to drool for that one. Still have it - woody and very audible stick click over the pure airy wash, moderate wobble. Low tone but no hum. Magic.
22" Renaissance - Wow. Great stick articulation with a bit of subtle dragon fire within the wash but never overpowering. Great bell. Reminds me of a devilish Spizz I used to have.
22" Medium - Early specimen, nicely browned patina, lots of the raw cymbal spots peeking through the lathing. Quite dry and Peter Erskinish stick. Breathy. Got it for a song and a dance from Hazelshould. A killer.

Then there are the ones I let go of...alas.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
hmm let's see:

14" hats
19" C/R
20" Thin Crash SLP
20" Light Ride
21" Big Band
22" Light Ride
22" Renaissance
22" Bounce
22" Thin Overhammered

Have had and sold a bunch of others, such as 13" hats, several Hi Bell Rides and a coupla Med Thin Lows. My faves now are the 20" Light, the 20" Thin Crash, the Bounce and the Overhammered.
They made 13" hats? Woah. How did I miss those?
I had a 22" medium that was just perfect. If course I sold it.
20" medium thin high that I could have kept.
22" bounce and renaissance that were keepers.

Beautiful musical cymbals.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
22" Medium Thin Low - Chad used to drool for that one. Still have it - woody and very audible stick click over the pure airy wash, moderate wobble. Low tone but no hum. Magic.
22" Renaissance - Wow. Great stick articulation with a bit of subtle dragon fire within the wash but never overpowering. Great bell. Reminds me of a devilish Spizz I used to have.
22" Medium - Early specimen, nicely browned patina, lots of the raw cymbal spots peeking through the lathing. Quite dry and Peter Erskinish stick. Breathy. Got it for a song and a dance from Hazelshould. A killer.

Then there are the ones I let go of...alas.
well sheeeiiittt. Long time no see

Latest posts