Zildjian K Constantinople Players Here?

poetman

Reaction score
22” Bounce (2358–sounds like a New Stamp. I’m happy.)

(Also seeking an LSR (19 or 20) for it in case anyone is seeking to move anything.)

JPHB

Reaction score
This thread is for those of us who play and love K Cons. What have you got?

Mine:

22" Medium Ride (2017) 2726g
22" Overhammered Bounce Ride (2019) 2422g
19" Crash/Ride (2016) 1568g
16" Crash (2016) 1050g
14" Hi Hats (2015) 906g/1222g

Hoping to add an 18 or 19" crash and a 20" MTL, but both can wait.
Great thread!
I play a 22 medium thin low rise, a 20 medium thin high ride and a thin 22 overhammered ride. Love them!

Reaction score
Does anyone use their K Con for rock or otherwise loud-ish settings? I play with a party/cover band on the weekends and we do everything from pop to rock to r&b. Some rock portions of our set can get pretty loud, but obviously we're not playing metal or anything like that. I'd love to own a K Con but right now my purchases have to be useful to the band, just from a money justification standpoint.

How do they hold up in these scenarios? If I have to crash-ride it, how does that sound? I hit cymbals correctly, so no need to fear breakage unless they are considered fragile.

Currently I am using a 21" Sweet Ride Brilliant, but also break out my huge 24" K Light Ride on occasion. Appreciate any help from you K Con owners!

Neal Pert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use their K Con for rock or otherwise loud-ish settings? I play with a party/cover band on the weekends and we do everything from pop to rock to r&b. Some rock portions of our set can get pretty loud, but obviously we're not playing metal or anything like that. I'd love to own a K Con but right now my purchases have to be useful to the band, just from a money justification standpoint.

How do they hold up in these scenarios? If I have to crash-ride it, how does that sound? I hit cymbals correctly, so no need to fear breakage unless they are considered fragile.

Currently I am using a 21" Sweet Ride Brilliant, but also break out my huge 24" K Light Ride on occasion. Appreciate any help from you K Con owners!
I think everything depends, really, on HOW loud it is on stage. The thing is, they lean toward the dark side. I've taken K Cons on blues gigs, "Latin" gigs, and all sorts of other stuff in addition to jazz gigs. I've recorded rock records with them. But a noisy bar gig where the guitar player won't stop turning up? I'd probably take my As. It's all about the stage volume and where the cymbals sit in the mix.

I'd use a K Con Medium as a ride and the other ones I have as crashes, btw.

Reaction score
I think everything depends, really, on HOW loud it is on stage. The thing is, they lean toward the dark side. I've taken K Cons on blues gigs, "Latin" gigs, and all sorts of other stuff in addition to jazz gigs. I've recorded rock records with them. But a noisy bar gig where the guitar player won't stop turning up? I'd probably take my As. It's all about the stage volume and where the cymbals sit in the mix.

I'd use a K Con Medium as a ride and the other ones I have as crashes, btw.
Gotcha, thanks for the reply. I think I could probably do alright with it. We're pretty conscious of stage volume and sounding even. Bunch of pro musicians. I love the sound of a Medium Thin Low from the videos I've watched, but will check out a straight Medium per your recommendation.

VinSparkle

Reaction score
22” K Con from 1998. First run. 2482g, so although not stamped, could call it a Medium Thin. Sounds neither Low nor High to my ear.

20” K Con Medium. I got this at a time when I did not have a good ear for jazz cymbals. I got rid of it a few years ago. Wish I could hear it again. I love the hammering (second pic).

2A510414-EF4F-40A3-91A4-E9E05B016AF9.jpeg
6AD988E6-FF3D-4E11-843D-E558C2F156E1.jpeg

eigentone

Reaction score

I do.

It's a tough call. They work splendidly in some contexts, but not all. It depends on your technique and where you want to the cymbals to sit, as well as things like the volume and tone of the guitars. I have heard some people use them for Metal.

I'm more recording focused. In that context, I typically want to go really easy on the cymbals (ie hit them lightly) so I can bring the overheads up higher in the mix.

I've heard the Cons described as cymbals which come up from the bottom rather than cut through the top. They are pretty complex and IMO not terribly loud. Super musical too.

Bottom line is that they sound fabulous -- the guitarist may need to adapt his/her volume or tone to leave a little space for you. I think that the hats and crashes will generally work for Pop/Rock in pubs but choosing the right Con ride for Rock in a pub could prove difficult. Under distorted guitars, the wrong ride may just come through as sound/tone without much attack or stick definition. I play with wood tips BTW. So there may not be enough cut/volume/brilliance for your ride pattern to stand out in a dense, loud setting. This certainly isn't a problem exclusive to Cons. But it does help to have a second ride in some cases, which has that cut.

The 19" Crash/Ride is pretty cool. Works as a crash and ride. I find it also works where you might otherwise use open hats or if you just need a higher pitch than your main ride. It's a good, crashable accessory ride. Yes, oh yes, I like crashing Con rides. I have a 22" Medium Con which has a lot of good tones and crashes well. With Cons around the kit, I have a lot of good bells. But the Medium and Medium Thin Low bells are on the subtle side. 19" Crash/Ride bell is larger.

Last edited:

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had a chance to play a 22" Medium Constantinople ride in a rock or pop setting? (I'm thinking unmiced.) If so, how does it do with the volume? Does it still work or does it get buried in the mix?

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had a chance to play a 22" Medium Constantinople ride in a rock or pop setting? (I'm thinking unmiced.) If so, how does it do with the volume? Does it still work or does it get buried in the mix?
I have a 20" medium and I would question it cutting through a rock mix. What is the weight?

jb78

Reaction score
Yes, I play a 22" Medium as my primary ride cymbal in a variety of settings. I think it's great and depending on how you play it, I think it functions nicely in a quieter-to-mid rock setting. Anything louder I'd use something else. But as long as you're not in a super loud band, I think it plays like a versatile version of a dark jazz ride...which is exactly what I was looking for when I bought it.

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
I think this stamp on this 14 is a K, from what I can tell. I don't use it. I can't find a use for it.
20180327_124857.jpg
20180327_210534.jpg

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Had a 22 then swapped that for a 20 Medium Low then recently put that on the sale block to fund something different.....

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
I think this stamp on this 14 is a K, from what I can tell. I don't use it. I can't find a use for it.View attachment 411981View attachment 411982
That's a bit older then the ones in this thread and was made in Turkey not the USA. That trademark is said to be late 30s by Bill Hartrick who first described it. Here is a more complete example where you can read the Constantinople above TRADE MARK

12-380-stamp.jpg

The modern American K Constantinoples are named in honor of those early Turkish cymbals. But they are not the same.

felis

Reaction score
Just one - a 20 Medium.

Stopped at a shop that had most of the K Cons and I liked that one best, so it came home with me.

Ang

Reaction score
20” Light Ride with 3 rivets
22” Bounce
22” Swish

had and sold :
22” MTL - it was a little too muddy compared to the Bounce
22” Medium - original series in the 90’s I was playing rock and sold it off.

Rick

Reaction score
It's great hearing all these opinions and observations about the K Cons. So, I have used nothing but hand hammered Turkish-made cymbals for quite awhile. When I decided to get Zildjians, I picked up some K Cons. Interestingly to me, these are brighter and louder than pretty much anything I have used in the last 5-6 years so it's funny to hear everyone say they have no volume and are dry and/or darker. They also have a lot more wash and sustain. At any rate, I am liking them a lot and find that they mix with just about anything else I have pretty well. My only complaint is that I got a Big Band ride and wish it was a bit more "crashier"....although the tone and bell on it are great. I think it's still ringing from when I hit it yesterday.

I am, however, on the hunt for a set of hats that will sit nicely with them so if anyone has suggestions...
I have a 20" K Con Light Ride with 3 rivets (special batch that was produced for Memphis Drum Shop) and an 18" K Con crash. Love them both! I use 13" K Custom Dark hats with them and they mix great to my ear.

Sammybear

Reaction score
I own or have owned the following K Cons:
20" MTL (Very good all purpose ride and crashes well too. Moved it on, sort of wished I had another in the fold).
22" MTL (My one really wished I had it back cymbal-2200's weight). I have had 2 other 22" MTL's, but more aggressive so moved them on.
19" Crash Ride (First one I owned was very nice, not so much 2nd & 3rd, so quit trying, but nice cymbal).
14" Hats (A little too trashy for me, but nice hats all the same).
22" Renaissance (Brought it in...nice cymbal, but returned).
20" Renaissance (Owned for a while, really nice but returned)
22" Medium (I have owned 2 and currently still have the 2nd...very nice stick definition and very sweet musically. 2818g and for sale on DF).
22" Thin Overhammered (Pretty nice cymbal, returned).

Wish I could have kept them all! As with all cymbals, the K Cons especially since they are more hand crafted, there is a major sonic difference from one cymbal to the next., although sound files online will get you into the ballpark. Without a big drum store nearby, acquiring is an issue mainly because of the return expense and you always lose in selling them off. I have now convinced local GC to work with me on discounts and they have a great return policy...more of an opportunity to try something out and return without cost of mailing it back. I will always be a K Con fan. I play in a low volume setting (my office) and don't gig as much anymore, so the bigger cymbals, even though these shine at low to medium levels, consume a lot of air, although surprisingly the 22 Med stay out of the way when played lightly and will open up when needed).

Latest posts