Zildjian K Constantinople Players Here?

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm late to the party or something, but I have a 16" crash I always use. Plenty loud for me, and a wonderfully rich, washy overtone wall of sound (I wouldn't call it "dark" personally)

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a couple, and had a few more. The MTL is my favorite sounding one, but it’s somewhat quiet. So I kinda feel that the heavier versions hold up best (for me).

bonzo60

Reaction score
I enjoy them and always have.
14" hats
16" & 18" crash
20", 22", 24" light rides
20" & 22" medium light rides
All from '98-2000. The medium light rides are quite rare and weren't produced for very long. They feel less stiff and not as brite as the medium rides, of course they weigh less generally. I think these became the MTL & MTH.
The lathing pattern was changed in 2012 which helped open up the sound if you will. I think it's tough to compare pre 2012 and post 2012 models. I don't think you can go wrong either way and the line is expanding so there are more choices now. It's nice to see that Zildjian will be offering 15" hats in the K Con line.

drummers_need_coffee.exe

Reaction score
I just ordered one off eBay because I remember another drummer allowed his 20” K con to be backlined at a jam this past summer (pretty brave) and I thought if it were the only cymbal I owned I’d be happy. Finally found one for a good deal.
It’s a ‘98, medium ride. What are the big differences between the earlier ones and the later ones?

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
How many of you have sold your k cons since this thread was started last summer?

IMO

Great cymbals...but hit or miss...kind if like okd ks are/were.

Butch1970

Reaction score
22" MTH w/5 rivets (mid-2000's. Was originally Chad's, then Doc Polis')
22" Flat w/2 rivets, drilled for 3 (mid-2000's)
14" Hats w/4 rivets in bottom (mid-2000's)
19 Crash Ride with 2 rivets (this one is on the heavier side, around 1700g).
22 Prototype Multi Purpose Ride
22 Prototype Overhammered Bounce

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
22" MTH w/5 rivets (mid-2000's. Was originally Chad's, then Doc Polis')
22" Flat w/2 rivets, drilled for 3 (mid-2000's)
14" Hats w/4 rivets in bottom (mid-2000's)
19 Crash Ride with 2 rivets (this one is on the heavier side, around 1700g).
22 Prototype Multi Purpose Ride
22 Prototype Overhammered Bounce
What do you think about that OH Bounce? How much does it weigh?

Quick, somewhat off topic question:

Werent the original Bounce ride models for loud settings? Like from the 40's or 50's or whenever?

Butch1970

Reaction score
What do you think about that OH Bounce? How much does it weigh?

Quick, somewhat off topic question:

Werent the original Bounce ride models for loud settings? Like from the 40's or 50's or whenever?
I love my OH Bounce, especially since I was able to pick it out after comparing to 2 others (that were also very nice). It weighs 2510g but you'd swear it was lighter/thinner. Lots of different sounds can be coaxed out of that one. Has a fair amount of trash but is also controllable.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love my OH Bounce, especially since I was able to pick it out after comparing to 2 others (that were also very nice). It weighs 2510g but you'd swear it was lighter/thinner. Lots of different sounds can be coaxed out of that one.
That sounds so great. I want to do that some time. Compare a stack of cymbals of the same model.

What do you think that 21" would be like? I'm watching videos of it and if you close your eyes, you'd swear that it's some kind of Bosphorus or something.
Heh, it certainly doesn't look like one...

I mean, try it:

I F***ing want one.

Butch1970

Reaction score
That sounds so great. I want to do that some time. Compare a stack of cymbals of the same model.

What do you think that 21" would be like? I'm watching videos of it and if you close your eyes, you'd swear that it's some kind of Bosphorus or something.
Heh, it certainly doesn't look like one...

I mean, try it:

I F***ing want one.
I also got to try a 21", which was very nice and close in sound to the 22's. I honestly had a bit of trouble selecting but in the end went with the one that had the best combination of ride, crash and bell sounds. The 20's that I briefly tried didn't really grab me....lots of top but not enough spread IMO. I actually went to the shop in the hopes of finding a nice 20" but neither the the OB, Dry Complex or PJJ did it for me. Guess I just tend to gravitate towards 22's.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I also got to try a 21", which was very nice and close in sound to the 22's. I honestly had a bit of trouble selecting but in the end went with the one that had the best combination of ride, crash and bell sounds. The 20's that I briefly tried didn't really grab me....lots of top but not enough spread IMO. I actually went to the shop in the hopes of finding a nice 20" but neither the the OB, Dry Complex or PJJ did it for me. Guess I just tend to gravitate towards 22's.
PJJ?

Butch1970

Reaction score
PJJ - Philly Joe Jones. Paul Francis told me that it was made to sound like a worn/played-out 20" that John Riley has.

Rick

Reaction score
I just ordered one off eBay because I remember another drummer allowed his 20” K con to be backlined at a jam this past summer (pretty brave) and I thought if it were the only cymbal I owned I’d be happy. Finally found one for a good deal.
It’s a ‘98, medium ride. What are the big differences between the earlier ones and the later ones?
I have a newer 20” K Con medium ride. Can’t speak to the differences between newer and older, but I love this cymbal! Like you said, if I brought just one ride cymbal to a gig, that one would definitely be it.

Bongo Brad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just added a 22” medium and 20” MTL. Already have the 19”.
I sold off the hats a couple years back. Now I’m kind of wishing I kept them.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have not owned any Zildjian's in many years, but If I were going to build a set, I am confident it would be the K Cons for sure!

JFBL

Reaction score
I’ve had two 22 Mediums, a 22 Overhammered, a 22 Bounce, and a 20 Medium Thin Low.

The Medium and the Medium Thin Low are my favourite models. I still have one Medium 22 and the MTL.

After a lot of trial and error and trying many more cymbals than these, my set up has remained consistent for the last year.

Right side: 20 K. Con MTL

Left side: 20 K. Istanbul New Stamp

Hats: 14 K. Istanbul Intermediate Stamp bottom, New Stamp top.

GoMarkGo

Reaction score
Hi all. New member.
I own the following KCons:

14” Hats
20” MTH (with three rivets) - not using currently
20” Renaissance (with three rivets) - I use this as my LSR
22” Renaissance (with one rivet installed) - main ride
22” MTL - to the right of the main ride.

I was a regular K guy for a long time, but find I am only using the KCons anymore.

I used to play

13” K/Z hats
20” Jazz Ride with two rivets on the left
22” Pre-Aged Dry Light Ride as the main ride
22” Custom Dry Complex II medium thin with three rivets on the far right.

These all live in a cymbal bag now...waiting for my kids to start playing one day.