Zildjian K crash/ride ??

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a cymbal for a smaller travel kit that would work as both a crash and a ride to use in a small pop combo.
I have a Paiste 20" big beat now. It crashes pretty well, but it's a bit too washy on the ride side.
Been think about a Zildjian K crash/ride. I see that it's available in both 18" and 20".
The 18" would travel well, and would make my kit footprint a little tighter, but will it wash out too easily as a ride?

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm looking for a cymbal for a smaller travel kit that would work as both a crash and a ride to use in a small pop combo.
I have a Paiste 20" big beat now. It crashes pretty well, but it's a bit too washy on the ride side.
Been think about a Zildjian K crash/ride. I see that it's available in both 18" and 20".
The 18" would travel well, and would make my kit footprint a little tighter, but will it wash out too easily as a ride?
I’d get a 20. Then again, there are lots of options there. Minimum would be 19 for me, but obviously not an option for that model. The 18 is simply the med-thin crash. Too much crash.

mw13068

Reaction score
I gig with a 20" K Custom Dark Crash, and a 20" K Custom Dark Ride. Both those cymbals are great as crashes or rides. If I were going to pick one, I'd go with the 20" KCD Ride. I love these cymbals.

From a recent gig (jump to about 1:45 for both cymbals in use):

I also have a Dream Bliss 20 crash/ride that I really like. That's the only big cymbal I have on my practice kit.

Last edited:

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a big beat 21 that also washes out too quickly for a ride, so I get that. Maybe a Zildjian Avedis 20

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Best all-purpose 20 that I've found so far is the Agop Mel Lewis 1982 ride. Great balance of stick and crash, great bell. They show up on the used market fairly often, I saw a couple on Reverb just the other day.

Among Zildjians, the K Con Renaissance line has some gems, or with some cherry-picking you can find a 1950's A that will do it all.

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Based on suggestions here, I'm going to try a Zildjian K Custom Dark 20" next.
I already have the K Custom Dark hats and crashes, and like them a lot.
I use them with a K Custom 20" ride on my other kit, but that one is heavy and doesn't crash well.
So, the med-thin K Custom Dark may work better on my lower vol. compact kit.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the K Custom Dark Ride or maybe even the Medium would work. I have an older 90's K 20" crash ride with a 6 inch piece of packing tape underneath to control some of the wash. I use it mostly with an 18" Medium Thin on the left but have used as the only cymbal, it crashes better than it rides but the bell is great. It's got a sweet spot for riding and does well...but I'd like a little less wash from it.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Test driving a recent zildjian 20" A crash/ride at the moment, Big crash sound, decent ride capabilities that don't wash out, Mine isn't perfect but its a really nice cymbal that's not too heavy either,,,, I wonder if i could get away with an 18 A crash/ride for travelling.. Anyone use one ?

I'd like to try a K model too sometime,,,,,

Found a quick clip of my 20 A crash/ride in action from the weekend if that helps, I have a small bit of tape and a sizzler attached in the clip,,,

Last edited:

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have 20" K Crash Rides in both traditional (a bit drier) and brilliant (a bit wetter) finish. They are both in the low 2000g weight ballpark. Both crash and ride great. Large, clear bells. They have substantial wash, but it is controlled. Stick definition always comes through.

Good sample here:

Latest posts