Zildjian K Custom Dark Crash(es) Question

Lennykenard

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I’ve been rocking some K Custom Dark 14” hats, and a 20” ride since about 2007. I currently use an 18” A Custom crash with my setup, but I’m finding it to be too bright for some of the music I’m playing (British Brass Band, and pit orchestra). I’ve been eying up getting another K Custom Dark cymbal. Specifically the 16” or 18” crash. Im looking to something that will open up easy for both light crashing and cymbals swells. Unfortunately can’t really get to one locally to check it out, and I really prefer used cymbals.
Anyone have any insight in to which one may be better for my situation?
Thanks!

multijd

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve played and heard others praise the 18” k custom dark crash 18” thin. Great cymbal that fits your description I believe.

Reactions: Ang

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
The K Custom dark crashes afaik only come in one weight category but the cymbals do differ in weight. A thin one under 1300g that would be great for the purpose you mention, but try before your buy if possible.
The regular K dark crashes (used to?) come in thin and medium-thin. These are only slightly different, I would try these as well.

Lennykenard

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do currently have a 18” Dark Medium Thin crash. It sounds great, and is really close to what I’m looking for. It’s got lots of patina and a great sound, but is a bit drier than I want for this project. And I ain’t gonna clean it! Haha. I’m gonna check out Guitar Center today and get a listen in on some other lines that were mentioned. Thanks!

drums1225

Reaction score
I recently bought a 18" K Custom Dark Crash after playing one on a backline kit in Atlantic City. I totally dig it. It does open up quickly, and it has a full bodied sound and a smooth decay. It's a nice contrast to my dry crashes, which are more like white noise with super quick decay. Do it!

Lennykenard

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I checked out two different 18s at guitar center. 1 new (2021). 1 used (2020). Remarkably different sound. The new one was much higher pitched than the used one. Didn’t fall in love with it, and I don’t like buying new cymbals personally. Imma stick with my Medium Thin for my 18”.
BUUUUUTTTTTT, I did buy a used 16” K Custom Dark from Steve Maxwell drums off of reverb. Comes in at 968g, and made in 2001 (according to the number). One of the lighter ones I’ve seen. I’m thinking/hoping it’s gonna fill my need.

Esotericdrums

Reaction score
I’ve got an 18” k custom dark crash that I love. It’s dirty with lots patina. Has been my main crash/only crash for 5 years or so. Favorite crash I have owned, pairs well with most anything. Got a 20 cluster crash used on the way, can’t wait to try it out with the k custom

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you’re unable to play in person, check out sound files online. To be honest, most any current K related (K, K Sweet, Custom) crashes are going to be great. And I think you’ll find some pretty similar too. For example… K dark or K sweet…not worlds apart different. Years ago, I had a 17” K Custom dark, but now I have a Kerope and a K dark.

bottom line….don’t limit yourself to K Custom crashes. Frankly, the A custom that you have is very nice already, but maybe just think about what might be a good contrast. You could even get a K type of 18” crash and pair it with the A 18” Custom.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have two 18” crashes: a K Custom Dark and a Kerope.

The K Custom is good fried chicken, crispy on the outside and moist inside. In other words nice initial attack that has that dark texture but it doesn’t linger into white noise, which I dislike in so many dark cymbals. So initial crunch quickly followed by a musical tone. Does swells nicely. About 1350 grams. It’s a good medium to loud cymbal, and opens equally within that range.

My quieter cymbal is the Kerope. Opens nicely, does swells as well. Good for acoustic settings or if gigging a situation with good mics. It’s quite musical as well, with a lower fundamental tone. Miso soup with some good umami.

Don’t give up trying a K Dark, if that’s the direction you are leaning. They are an excellent crash.

Also, I find crashes do break in and mellow a bit as they are played. To my ears at least.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you’re unable to play in person, check out sound files online. To be honest, most any current K related (K, K Sweet, Custom) crashes are going to be great.
They can all be great, I agree. What you find out in person better than when listening to audio is the response and volume. Most Z 18" crashes tend to be loud relative to how hard you hit because of the large bell, including the K Custom Dark. Thinner usually means quieter. I waited until a really thin 18" came up because I wanted a crash to match some lighter, darker rides.