Zildjian K Custom Darks or TRX?

Wesley Seeley

Reaction score
Which would you guys choose? K custom darks or any comparable cymbals from TRX. All things considered such as sound, price, and durability. Just curious! Thanks!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
One of them sounds like a Zildjian the other doesn't. That's not fatal just saying.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’m a fan of the small production Turkish cymbals, though you have to cherry pick the good ones. But the big downside to most of them is they have terrible resale value. About the only way you can avoid taking a huge loss on resale is if you buy them used for bargain prices in the first place. Zildjians also lose some value, but not as drastically as lesser known brands. Plus there are _always_ buyers for Zildjians, where it may take a while to sell TRX etc.

in terms of sound, that’s just up to your own personal taste.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a 19" TRX DK with one rivet . A superb crash ride on the darker side of the spectrum . You can really lay into it without causing your mates to wince . Nice bell too . TRX are rare up here and nobody seems to be able to identify a source . I'm pretty lucky to have snagged this one . Closest comparison would be the UFIP Natural series .

K Custom darks have a character more generic in the dark spectrum . Very nice though and more readily available for sure .

Both cymbals would be a perfect match to each other like grapefruit and lemon instead of apples and oranges .

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
With only a few exceptions, or maybe a change in attitude, you may always have to sift through a few to find the good one, regardless of the make. The good thing about a brand like Zildjian is, as already mentioned, the resale value. If you buy one and don't like it, you can release it back to the wild and try again.
Buying used in the first place helps, because the initial investment is much smaller but the product is the same.

The K Custom Darks are beautiful cymbals, I've found that the crashes have an almost knife-like ability to cut through the mix. They sound great in a lot of modern music, where one needs that abrupt punctuation at the end of a phrase or measure that is so common these days.

Wesley Seeley

Reaction score
I’m a fan of the small production Turkish cymbals, though you have to cherry pick the good ones. But the big downside to most of them is they have terrible resale value. About the only way you can avoid taking a huge loss on resale is if you buy them used for bargain prices in the first place. Zildjians also lose some value, but not as drastically as lesser known brands. Plus there are _always_ buyers for Zildjians, where it may take a while to sell TRX etc.

in terms of sound, that’s just up to your own personal taste.
I agree with you there. I'm a fan of the Turkish cymbals as well, but I do feel that the loss on resale on the TRX may be a bit much, so it's probably better to be sure of what you want with those.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
... you have to cherry pick the good ones. ... they have terrible resale value.
I agree. And the only way to pick the good ones is to buy in a shop that carries several for comparison. Buying them based on online videos would be highly risky. And the "terrible resale value" is probably going to be even more acute once the current "dark and smokey" trend begins to wane. And it will.

However . . . if you are able to get around both of the above provisos and manage to find the TRX that rings your bell, the coming months may be the perfect time to buy. Maybe.

Of course, if you find one that really rings your bell, who cares?

GeeDeeEmm

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
Completely different animals. K custom darks have a stiffness/brittleness and that knifelike cut. TRX are softer, more comparable to something like a Meinl.

Ang

Reaction score
I’ve played 14” K Custom Darks for over 20 years, burned through one pair (both cymbals had razor sharp edges and the bottom cymbals mounting hole was about double the size), I replaced them with another pair of the same. They have been my go to so, yeah I really like them.

Latest posts